Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mel95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2023, 1:24 pm

I can remember things that I heard on television 20 years ago and repeat them the exact same way I first heard them. Now I never did this as a kid, started early 20s. What do you make of this

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2023, 5:51 pm

Mel95 wrote:
I can remember things that I heard on television 20 years ago and repeat them the exact same way I first heard them. Now I never did this as a kid, started early 20s. What do you make of this

I would chalk it up to a talent or a gift that not everyone has. It kinda sounds like musical ability especially if you can do it with music.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2023, 8:02 am

When I was 8 years old (in 1961) I heard a song on a childrens TV show "Captian Kangeroo". The name of the song was "Herkermer the homely doll." I think I only heard it once. The song struck me as special, something I'd never heard before. But I didn't know why. Now I can understand that the song had a chord progression that I had never heard in the church hymns I had been exposed to up until then. It was a new discovery that music could "do" that.

52 years later I was 58 (in 2011) and I was able to pick that song out on the piano by ear, in 4-part harmony, from the memory of hearing that song only once 52 years earlier. Only then did I understand what made that song sound so special to me when I first heard it.

That is the only song where I had this kind of remarkable memory ability.
I can't remember all the words, but I do remember the chord progression.

I am in awe of how I could do that. I can't explain it or repeat it.