Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anonyma
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2023, 2:03 pm

I’m just wondering. I never liked going for sleepovers, vacations, weekends away etc. It disturbes my routine and my food. I also like to keep my bed a certain way, sleep a certain way. If i have to stay over somewhere else the bed is wrong, the sheets, the cover, the pillow - everything is wrong.

Is this an autism thing, or just a quirk?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 5:46 pm

It makes sense to be an autism thing, but it's not something I can relate to. As a kid I absolutely LOVED sleeping over other children's houses, even if it was an unexpected surprise (which was even better). I used to get so happy and excited. I can still remember that feeling now, like I had won the lottery. Even as an adult I don't mind sleeping at other people's houses, it's different and exciting.

I have also always loved vacations and still do. The only thing I get anxious about when going on a vacation is if I'm going to suddenly come down with a virus that's going to ruin my whole vacation. I get so anxious about this before going away, that I end up getting some non-virus infection due to the stress I have given myself. But I can't help worrying about it. Colds and noroviruses just get you unexpectedly, even during the summer, and I feel viruses are the bane of our lives.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 6:47 pm

As a child I used to look forward to going because I loved flying. Once we got there it was a different story because I don't like changes in routine, strange beds, forced happiness, cameras, or being outside with sunshine. My parents always liked to drag take me to beaches and places where I'd get burnt to a crisp and later develop early stage skin cancer. I was afraid of hotels and had many panic attacks or meltdowns. Those were even worse if we were visiting extended family and everyone would be drunk or partying and I'd just want to die hide.

As a young adult I liked to fly and go places on my own or with my partner because I could plan the vacations my way. I think I was still expecting too much. There were only a few places I really enjoyed and some of them were downright overwhelming because of culture shock. Again I have issues with some hotels etc. It was hard going anywhere once I became a single parent because I had to go to court to get my exh's consent every time, and then I also had to pay full airfare and expenses for the kids, so my vacations ended up costing 3-4X what they would for me alone. Being responsible for kids in a foreign country is pretty overwhelming too.

I get really stressed planning vacations and they cost so much I finally decided it's easier to just stay home and look at photos of the place online. I've also decided I'm never going anywhere unless I feel women are safe, and I won't have to worry about being thrown in prison for some ridiculous cultural infraction. If I wouldn't want to deal with a foreign country's legal system, I'm staying home.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:06 pm

It depends on the vacation. They can be great, or they can be awful. I prefer vacationing alone and for an extended period. I need time to re-settle into my routines before I can think about trying too much else in the way of new things. I hate the act of traveling though, by any means - but I am fine after a few quiet days at my destination after getting myself settled.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:35 pm

If I have responsibilities vacation is awful. If not, it can be tolerable because I allow for meltdowns and shutdowns and anxiety attacks and enjoy the in-between. My Autistic BFF foregoes fun to avoid the upset. She does not like feelings at all. I'd rather have the fun aside the suffering. That said, the suffering needs to be under a certain threshold to be worthwhile.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:02 am

I suppose it depends on where I'm going. I never liked sleepovers always ended up getting overwhelmed and needing to go home. Also have a lot of.difficulty relaxing enough to sleep.

Vacations can be ok. Though the night before leaving I go through massive anxiety and sometimes meltdowns. This also occurs the night before.I go home. I always have to bring certain objects with me to be comfortable while.I'm away from home. I think vacations are easier because I have more.time to.get.used to the changes.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:14 am

I definitely find other beds "wrong." Wrong pillow (too thick, too thin, rough pillowcase...), wrong blanket (too thin, too heavy -- I can't stand the blanket weighing down my feet), and on and on.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 9:23 am

It's really going to depend, some portion of Disney adults are probably autistic people with a special interest. Folks that are really into trains, planes or boats may get enough from that to make a vacation more desirable.

Anybody that's also got ADHD is probably going to have fewer issues with travel, provided it's a vacation that takes our needs into consideration.

Also, it likely is going to be easier for folks that are less tired into a specific routine and more towards social and sensory challenges. I've got sunglasses, earplugs and appropriate clothes that make a big difference.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 1:04 pm

Yes, love it. I love travelling and exploring new places.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 1:41 pm

I get some pleasure out of it, and a change of environment seems to do me good. But the logistics of planning a complicated journey can spoil a lot of the fun by way of stress and fatigue, and I also don't like it when my environment goes out of control in bad ways - I'm rather sensitive to some changes that might not much bother most people. I usually feel better if I have a travelling companion to share the problems of navigating.

I tend to dislike mainstream tourism, and prefer to travel to visit friends. I'm not that interested in looking at popular sights, but some of that is down to my dislike of crowds and the way tourists get herded around and charged so much money. I'm happier looking at things most tourists don't know about, and going there myself.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:11 pm

My idea of a vacation is traveling to a body of water, preferably the Caribbean but most beaches or lakes will do, setting down my beach chair, then picking up my beach chair seven days later and going home. Inertia and familiarity are key; I have been to Aruba seven times (all at the same resort) and the Mexican Caribbean four times.

I have travelled for active vacations (Walt Disney World for my kids, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Iceland for my second honeymoon, Paris for a three day weekend, a real jet setter thing to do), but my wives have planned those trips. I do, however, bring organized file folders regarding when, where and how we get to all the spots we are visiting. My second wife laughed at me when I did this for Iceland and Ireland, but it sure helped that I could pull out a pass, directions, addresses and timetables at a moment's notice. I can't be spontaneous. As I tell younger lawyers: you have plenty of things to stress and get anxious about that you can't control. Don't let the things you can control cause you stress and anxienty.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2023, 4:57 pm

Disneyland is one of my special interests. I think about it all the time and try to go twice a year. I just went again last week by myself on the train. It takes about 6 hours to get down there.

I enjoy it, but it can also be stressful...which kind of goes for anything I enjoy. For one thing, I can never fall asleep the night before. That causes me a lot of anxiety. This time I got about 3 hours of sleep in the hotel before giving up and going to the park, but I had a good time anyway. This is not related to it being a strange bed, as that night after about 13 hours at the park, I came back to the hotel and was so exhausted, I fell asleep immediately.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 5:14 pm

Yes!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 7:56 pm

rse92, I'd like to go on a holiday with you. I love it when everything is organised just so, then there's no worries about getting lost, being late, etc.

I went to Japan in 2002 in a group of 8 people and thought we were very lucky to have a Japanese man with us to guide and translate for us. Everything went smoothly because of him and I had the best time. I'd definitely do it again the same way.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:13 pm

It depends. I don't like things like staying in hotels, going to touristy or busy places. I totally get that everything being wrong talk. I take my own bedding, pillows, and such to hotels to make it less awful, but it doesn't help a lot. I avoid that sort of thing whenever possible and brace for impact when I can't avoid it.

I do, however, like to get out of town and go primitive camping in the woods. That's my idea of a perfect vacation...me, the dog, and a tent in the middle of nowhere around absolutely no one. Yeah. :heart: That kind of disruption somehow soothes my damn soul.

theboogieman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2023, 10:47 am

I have mixed feelings. I hate going anywhere touristy because I hate the feeling of partaking in a curated "perfect" experience. It feels patronizing to me.

At the same time, I also dislike going to places that are too societally different from where I live because I feel like I am being patronizing to them. This is likely just a symptom of social anxiety though where I feel like my non-conformity must be a burden to those around me.

Last edited by theboogieman on 04 Jun 2023, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.