Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:50 pm

Me and my girlfriend often playfully quarrel on which cuisine is superior : Lebanese or Filipino.
Frankly it started when she expressed that she found most of our recipes "disgusting" and her cuisine is superior, even though she admitted she didn't even try most recipes!!
I noticed their migrant community are so...closed when it comes in trying the cuisine of the host country. They just want to eat their own dishes, their recipes, their desserts, and very few often try any other - and my girlfriend is no exception.

So I was like teasingly, "Well, the Lebanese cuisine is well-known worldwide, like the Greek and Turkish cuisines, but Filipino? Not much despite the large diaspora. This is when she felt she had to defend her national pride and started to list me some of their known dishes. :lol:

To be frank, I like a lot of Filipino dishes, such as Chicken Adobo and Tinola , but I don't much appreciate her total non-openess to try our food, she only tried Shawarma and Tawook and she loves them both (she eats one of those on every weekend outing) but she refuses to taste anything else. She doesn't seem to even like to try things like hummus and salads; she says she can't stands the "sour" taste.

And when she claimed that her cuisine is superior in taste than ours, then I had to give her a reality-check: Filipino cuisine is rarely listed among the tops in contests worldwide.

What I complain the most about the Filipino food is unbalancedness: The concept of raw veggies doesn't seem to exist in their cultures, they don't have any type of raw salads, their veggie-based dishes are made of overcooked veggies and legumes. There's way too much deep frying and pork in a lot of dishes, things like deep-fried crispy chicken are a staple of every Filipino feast.
Their desserts contain a lot of condensened milk, which is extremely sweet, like for example their version of Tiramisu and Leche Flan (their version of Crème Caramel) aren't things you can eat in reasonable portions because they're extremely sweet (just imagine a recipe that contains white sugar + caramel + two cans of condensed milk + riped mango on top and between layers). Even the Baklava is less sweet than a Filipino tiramisu, oh btw my partner never tried any Baklava or Knafeh or any traditional arabic sweet either.

Some of the few desserts I like their muffin-like "Puto" and corn pudding, these are very nice and aren't extremely sweet and they do have a distinct Filipino identity unlike the Tiramisu and Leche Flan which are modified copycats of others.

Their spaghetti....nope, terrible, they put sugar in the sauce and they use canned tomato (not fresh tomatoes) + hotdog (yes, hotdog), I prefer the genuine italian variation way more. Their "macaroni soup" is good though.

So yeah, she doesn't even like to try local salads like fattouch or tabboule which are....just typical salads. Our taste buds are too different.

At the end there was no clear winner. :mrgreen:

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 29 May 2023, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 3:27 pm

I thought this was going to be about an actual food fight. Disappointing.

I know certain people who eat at places like McDonalds wherever they travel in the world because they don’t like trying different things. I don’t really get it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 3:34 pm

She LOVES Mcdonalds, and her fellow filipinos seem to love it too (and KFC).

I don’t get it either.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 4:25 pm

My depth of knowledge of Filipino food isn't exhaustive, but a lot of it seems to be borrowed from other cultures (spain, portugal, china, a lot of different influences.). What Filipinos have done is put their own unique spin on different dishes, often making them sweeter in the process - or substituting locally available ingredients.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 4:55 pm

DanielW wrote:
My depth of knowledge of Filipino food isn't exhaustive, but a lot of it seems to be borrowed from other cultures (spain, portugal, china, a lot of different influences.). What Filipinos have done is put their own unique spin on different dishes, often making them sweeter in the process - or substituting locally available ingredients.

I find their non-borrowed recipes generally way better than the borrowed ones (ie. spaghetti, tiramisu, crispy chicken...etc), stuff as Adobo, Tinola and Puto (and other rice-based desserts) really feel authentic. They have their own distinct "character".

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 5:10 pm

Does she like authentic Italian cuisine or does she prefer her take on it?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 5:27 pm

^ Her take on it.

Too resistant to try any other cuisine than her own.

She doesn’t even like pizza either, except the Hawaiian variation with pineapple (which is let’s admit it, an atrocity to pizza).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 7:15 pm

I can’t decide which is worse: pineapple on pizza or hotdogs in spaghetti. Hmmm…

My sister-in-law puts hotdogs in boxed macaroni and cheese. She won’t try anything she’s not accustomed to either.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 9:17 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Me and my girlfriend often playfully quarrel on which cuisine is superior : Lebanese or Filipino.
Frankly it started when she expressed that she found most of our recipes "disgusting" and her cuisine is superior, even though she admitted she didn't even try most recipes!!
I noticed their migrant community are so...closed when it comes in trying the cuisine of the host country. They just want to eat their own dishes, their recipes, their desserts, and very few often try any other - and my girlfriend is no exception.

So I was like teasingly, "Well, the Lebanese cuisine is well-known worldwide, like the Greek and Turkish cuisines, but Filipino? Not much despite the large diaspora. This is when she felt she had to defend her national pride and started to list me some of their known dishes. :lol:

To be frank, I like a lot of Filipino dishes, such as Chicken Adobo and Tinola , but I don't much appreciate her total non-openess to try our food, she only tried Shawarma and Tawook and she loves them both (she eats one of those on every weekend outing) but she refuses to taste anything else. She doesn't seem to even like to try things like hummus and salads; she says she can't stands the "sour" taste.

And when she claimed that her cuisine is superior in taste than ours, then I had to give her a reality-check: Filipino cuisine is rarely listed among the tops in contests worldwide.

What I complain the most about the Filipino food is unbalancedness: The concept of raw veggies doesn't seem to exist in their cultures, they don't have any type of raw salads, their veggie-based dishes are made of overcooked veggies and legumes. There's way too much deep frying and pork in a lot of dishes, things like deep-fried crispy chicken are a staple of every Filipino feast.
Their desserts contain a lot of condensened milk, which is extremely sweet, like for example their version of Tiramisu and Leche Flan (their version of Crème Caramel) aren't things you can eat in reasonable portions because they're extremely sweet (just imagine a recipe that contains white sugar + caramel + two cans of condensed milk + riped mango on top and between layers). Even the Baklava is less sweet than a Filipino tiramisu, oh btw my partner never tried any Baklava or Knafeh or any traditional arabic sweet either.

Some of the few desserts I like their muffin-like "Puto" and corn pudding, these are very nice and aren't extremely sweet and they do have a distinct Filipino identity unlike the Tiramisu and Leche Flan which are modified copycats of others.

Their spaghetti....nope, terrible, they put sugar in the sauce and they use canned tomato (not fresh tomatoes) + hotdog (yes, hotdog), I prefer the genuine italian variation way more. Their "macaroni soup" is good though.

So yeah, she doesn't even like to try local salads like fattouch or tabboule which are....just typical salads. Our taste buds are too different.

In all fairness, I don't think either cuisine is really that well known. Especially if you're comparing it to things that are widely known like Italian, French, Indian, Chinese or Thai.

Also, I'm disappointed that there's no throwing of foods here. If that were the case, Hawaiians would win, cans of spam hurt.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 4:25 pm

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 2:03 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

In all fairness, I don't think either cuisine is really that well known. Especially if you're comparing it to things that are widely known like Italian, French, Indian, Chinese or Thai.

Also, I'm disappointed that there's no throwing of foods here. If that were the case, Hawaiians would win, cans of spam hurt.

Lebanese cuisine is often lumped with “Mediterranean cuisine”, Greece, Turkey (not the black sea part) and the Levant have very similar cuisines.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 3:05 am

I was hoping for This

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 3:25 am

Wish that Michael Bourdain were still around...so that he could be your marriage counselor! :lol:

Fun fact: the name of the band "Foo Fighters" has nothing to do with "food fighting".

"Foo fighters" were essentially the forerunners of ...Flying Saucers/UFOs/UAPs(whether theyre real or not). American servicemen in both theaters of WWII would see weird aircraft, visually and even on radar, that were neither "ours, nor the enemy's" and would have to learn to ignore them by labeling them "Foo Fighters". Other nationals on both sides of the war would see them too. Only two years after the war an American civilian pilot saw what he described "flying saucer like aircraft" over Idaho, and the modern era of flying saucers began.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 4:17 am

Nades wrote:
I was hoping for This

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 7:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Lebanese cuisine is often lumped with “Mediterranean cuisine”, Greece, Turkey (not the black sea part) and the Levant have very similar cuisines.

Thanks. Often times those restaurants also offer Persian food as well. My point there as much as anything is that it's probably not a type of food that people are super familiar with, at least not enough to justify the implied sense that nobody knows about Filipino food, but people know about Lebanese.

Locally, we have more Ethiopian and Somali restaurants than either Lebanese or Filipino ones. Which reminds me, I need to go again as that food is great and it's been far too long.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 2:19 am

Check the answers, so it wasn’t only me who noticed it:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Filipino-food-so-unhealthy

I didn’t show her this link, I know this would wound her national pride. :mrgreen: