Fear of Death and Near Death experiences

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2023, 1:59 am

Fear of death can be a big problem, but death itself is a natural thing too. At certain points in my life I had a strong anxiety related to this problem, but Near death experiences have taught me important things as well. For example, there are some positive experiences experienced by people in hospital, who had near death experiences. They said they saw some type of light, out of body feeling, and more.

Can you explain what you think about this and how it relates to fear of death?

thanks

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 3:43 am

Noam111g wrote:
Fear of death can be a big problem, but death itself is a natural thing too. At certain points in my life I had a strong anxiety related to this problem, but Near death experiences have taught me important things as well. For example, there are some positive experiences experienced by people in hospital, who had near death experiences. They said they saw some type of light, out of body feeling, and more. Can you explain what you think about this and how it relates to fear of death? thanks

i have had exactly one waking out of body experience when i OD'ed on nitrous one time. i went to an all white place that was totally calm. decades later when i was on the operating room table knocked out, i was flying through the air in an orange sky, encountering other beings doing likewise, in utter ecstasy. when i was a teen i watched a movie that was loosely based on dr. raymond moody's "life after life," it was called "beyond and back"-

since these experiences i no longer fear death. i know i will exist in some form in some place better than this earth.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:06 pm

As a child I almost drown. As a teen I almost overdosed. I didn't appreciate being near death as a child, but I remember being underwater and it was so big, calm, peaceful. There was zero fear. I could've stayed there forever. As a teen when I was laying there, I couldn't move, breathe, I'll spare the more 'yuck' details of that. I had this moment where I thought something like, well, looks like this is the end for me. I had nothing short of complete acceptance and a dash curiosity of what, if anything was next.

I saw no lights, no angels, no nothing like that. I had no out of body experience. It was just calm. Everything was okay. I never have had a fear of death. I think those early experiences taught me there is nothing to fear. It's like somehow my body and mind instinctively/intuitively/whatever know they aren't eternal and that's alright. No need to stress something I was ultimately born to do eventually.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:18 pm

I'm not afraid of my own death, apart from the fact I'm scared of leaving my kids behind to fend for themselves. I know it will be very traumatic for them because I've raised them on my own, and I'm the only family member involved in their lives.

I'm scared of them d- ...... I don't even want to say it. It's a lifelong phobia or terror I've had. It always made me quite overprotective and suffer a lot of anxiety about their wellbeing.

Near-death: I know people who've done it and I believe them, regardless of what causes that phenomenon or what it means. It's comforting to know that happens whether it means there's a god or whether it's all just a fun hallucination.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:27 pm

As a kid I used to get severe asthma. At times I got close to dying. My low levels of oxygen to my brain likely contributed to my capacity as a child to experience paranormal anomalies.

Some experience paranormal through drugs, some through meditation, I think for me it was sitting in my bed knowing I stopped breathing and not doing anything about it and not telling my parents.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 5:35 pm

When I was a child I was very afraid of death. Mostly I believe because of my grandfather dying and not being given any sort of explanation for it.

I'm not afraid of it now. For.me it's more losing other people. As for me.I figure I won't be here and I can't control weither it happens or not.so there is no.reason to.spend the time I have being upset.about it.

Also.I've made.sure I have an understanding about what happens to the body after death and have knowledge of funerary practices. I feel this gives me.some comfort.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 10:51 pm

both my parents communicated with me after their respective deaths to reassure me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:39 am

Death is inevitable.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:52 am

of the physical body, yes. but for spirit, there is just too much written and talked about in terms of people relating their stories of out of body experiences, such as the case of pam reynolds which nobody has been able to truthfully debunk.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
both my parents communicated with me after their respective deaths to reassure me.

Yeh… my dad did after he died.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:26 am

Trueno wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

if you don't mind, can you tell me what he said to you? mine said "HEY *****!" [he called my name and woke me out of a slumber] at the same time he woke my mom with "HEY HONEY!" [we compared notes later]

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 4:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
Trueno wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

if you don't mind, can you tell me what he said to you? mine said "HEY *****!" [he called my name and woke me out of a slumber] at the same time he woke my mom with "HEY HONEY!" [we compared notes later]

He didn’t say anything. I was having a hard time after he died as I had to identify his body… had PTSD and flashbacks. Then he appeared, clear as day. He was the same as when I was a teenager, in his workclothes and smelling of “engineering”. No more flashbacks after that.

I’ll point out that my mother is a Spiritualist medium, proper old-school… and I was brought up as a Spiritualist. I’ve meditated for ever and seen and experienced everything. I’ve hever been vocal about it… anyone wants to be sceptical about it, I’ll just smile and nod and move on.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Trueno wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

My grandmother contacted me many times after her physical death in my dreams, too: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125660&p=8847260#p8847260

And some time ago, Erik Medhus contacted me in my dream again :D : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125660&start=7792

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 6:16 pm

Does it count as a near death experience if you consider going somewhere, decide not to, then a bad event happens and you would have died if you'd gone? That's happened before. Of course I wasn't physically injured, but it's still strange to think about.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 5:15 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Does it count as a near death experience if you consider going somewhere, decide not to, then a bad event happens and you would have died if you'd gone? That's happened before. Of course I wasn't physically injured, but it's still strange to think about.

I’d call that a premonition. Some might call it a complete coincidence, but I’d say someone was looking after you.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 4:34 pm

I wonder if my aunt Ela contacts me after her physical death, too - she's so ill that her doctors say there is no hope any more :( Death will give her the relief she needs because she is suffering a lot, for she has bedsores. I think it's the matter of like a week, not more - and her daughter is going to turn 57 on the last day of July so her birthday may be very sad this year.