What I Like About Autistic People Is...

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:04 am

I really like the fact that someone can post something here on Wrong Planet- I mean a video, meme, picture, quotation- and every single person has a different understanding of what it means. That can be really funny and make me laugh a lot.

e.g. when Recidivist (I think) posted a video of himself injecting Wrong Planet into his arm and we all thought it meant something different :lol:

Other people can write what they like about us as well!

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:41 pm

I find most of them to be honest. I also like that most of them (sweeping generalization, I know) are introverted and are able to listen before they respond. There is something about other autistic people that makes it very easy to let my guard down around them.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 6:34 am

That's true, I think people who blurt things out are more honest, and a lot of autistic people blurt things out, don't we. Instead of saying everything in layers and confusing us.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 8:04 am

Interesting conversation. The reason why many Aspies are different is because the human brain has two halves. One on the left side and one on the right side of their skulls. At around age 11 or 12 most humans make the transition from childhood to adulthood. These two halves combine to form a person. But in my case and that of many others, that doesn't happen. I am a right dominant brain. The reason why is because I died when I was around age 3 or 4. Yes a large bull attacked me and I died. I experienced what is described as a near death experience. I saw my dead body and I was given a decision "Live or Die". I saw the horror on my parents face and I said live. I came back as a different person. It was the right half of my brain that came back. I am a right dominant brain.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 May 2023, 8:12 am

^An amazing experience! Scary but something good came from it. We on the spectrum are far more likely to discuss such things with an open mind and with compassion, rather than try to shoot down people's experiences and belittle them. It's so much easier to talk to one another than on most NT orientated sites.

Whether people are predominantly analytical or just the opposite, using emotion based thought, we endeavour to embrace them on here.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 9:01 am

envirozentinel wrote:
^An amazing experience! Scary but something good came from it. We on the spectrum are far more likely to discuss such things with an open mind and with compassion, rather than try to shoot down people's experiences and belittle them. It's so much easier to talk to one another than on most NT orientated sites.

Whether people are predominantly analytical or just the opposite, using emotion based thought, we endeavour to embrace them on here.

I don't think that autistic people that use emotion based thinking really get the attention they should. I'm more of the overly rational type, but I get the feeling sometimes like my wife makes basically all her decisions based on emotions without really doing much thinking about it beyond that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 9:49 am

What I like about autistic people is that those of us who are on the spectrum are very honest. We also think and listen to what people are telling us before we give an answer. Many of us know not to hurt others because we've been hurt ourselves. We're Sweet Peas, well most of us are.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 10:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
What I like about autistic people is that those of us who are on the spectrum are very honest. We also think and listen to what people are telling us before we give an answer. Many of us know not to hurt others because we've been hurt ourselves. We're Sweet Peas, well most of us are.

I think that's it, isn't it. Autistic people are VERY honest, generally. We say what we think when we think it.

I suppose that's why NTs don't like us: they don't like to say what they think, they cover it up in lots of layers of different meanings. I dunno.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:52 pm

I like the absence of mind games and being straighforward.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 2:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

This.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:59 pm

I don't know enough autistic people IRL to really judge what I like about them. I base my knowledge and understanding of autistic people on this site. I really enjoy all the personalities here and I can relate to a lot of them, but I have to ask myself if it's something unique to our autism which connects us here, or is it the medium itself?

To quote Marshall McLuhan, is it the medium or the message?

If we surrendered this site exactly as it stands to a group of NTs, and interacted with them (or watched them from afar), would their answers be so different from ours? I really don't know. I think they'd still post music and play word games. They'd write anecdotally about their traumas and ups and downs. They'd support each other. I'm sure that given this space, they'd still be kind and interesting people. Chances are they'd enjoy giving up their public persona or throwing away the social mask to write in heartfelt ways on WP. Chances are we'd like them just as much as everyone else. The difference is that in "real life" they don't usually get as introspective or share their real thoughts with us. Given a forum like WP I think we'd realise we're all more similar than we think. Then again, I could be wrong. I avoid speaking with people irl because of my mutism so I don't know what anyone's personality is really like, on the inside or even the outside. I'm just guessing.

Is there anyone here who uses NT forums which focus on interpersonal connection, and what are they like?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:17 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know enough autistic people IRL to really judge what I like about them.

Yes I'm talking about autistic people on Wrong Planet.

The only autistic people I know in real life have severe autism and can't communicate.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:18 am

AprilR wrote:

^^Yes! This is what I like.

I don't understand or see the point of mind games. Why not just say what you're thinking and how you feel? What's wrong with doing that? I don't know.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:20 am

KitLily wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know enough autistic people IRL to really judge what I like about them.

Yes I'm talking about autistic people on Wrong Planet.

The only autistic people I know in real life have severe autism and can't communicate.

I like the people on here because we all (in general) seem like peaceful people.

My question is whether NTs would also act like this, if they used WP exclusively.

I have nothing to compare WP to in terms of NT vs ND personalities.

I've seen mind games here, but it was mostly from undiagnosed people who probably weren't autistic in the first place.

I sense we get a lot of posers who just come here to cause problems.

I'm not saying all undiagnosed people cause problems, but the ones who really aren't autistic do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 3:55 am

KitLily wrote:
AprilR wrote:

^^Yes! This is what I like.

I don't understand or see the point of mind games. Why not just say what you're thinking and how you feel? What's wrong with doing that? I don't know.

I have often said what I'm thinking or feeling here, and I got into trouble for it. So some things are better left unsaid.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 4:04 am

AprilR wrote:
This.

When I ask an NT "How many were at the meeting?", I get a roll-call of all the people who were there, what they said, how they said it, what they wore, which ones the NT does or does not like, et cetera . . .

When I ask an autistic person the same question, I get a number.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.