Former first lady Rosalynn Carter is diagnosed with dementia

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 5:08 pm

The diagnosis was shared as Carter's husband, former President Jimmy Carter, has been receiving hospice care.

Quote:
Former first lady Rosalynn Carter has dementia, the Carter family said Tuesday.

The announcement, which was released by the Carter Center, comes as Carter's husband, former President Jimmy Carter, is receiving hospice care at their home in Plains, Georgia.

The center said in a statement that Rosalynn Carter, 95, "continues to live happily at home with her husband, enjoying spring in Plains and visits with loved ones."

"Mrs. Carter has been the nation’s leading mental health advocate for much of her life" and has "improved access to care and decreased stigma about issues surrounding mental health."

The statement noted that, "One in 10 older Americans have dementia, a condition that affects overall mental health. We recognize, as she did more than half a century ago, that stigma is often a barrier that keeps individuals and their families from seeking and getting much-needed support. We hope sharing our family’s news will increase important conversations at kitchen tables and in doctor’s offices around the country."

The statement did not say when she was diagnosed or give any more details on her condition. It noted her work supporting caregivers through her nonprofit organization.

"As the founder of the Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregivers, Mrs. Carter often noted that there are only four kinds of people in this world: those who have been caregivers; those who are currently caregivers, those who will be caregivers, and those who will need caregivers," the statement said. "The universality of caregiving is clear in our family, and we are experiencing the joy and the challenges of this journey."

"We do not expect to comment further and ask for understanding for our family and for everyone across the country serving in a caregiver role."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 9:54 pm

My wife told me about this, earlier today. Mrs. Carter made a wonderful First Lady. God be with her and Jimmy in this trying time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:36 pm

We could lose both of them soon :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:41 pm

they have well earned their heavenly reward. let them not suffer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:44 am

auntblabby wrote:

They both certainly lived their faith.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:07 am

auntblabby wrote:

:heart:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:

:heart: :heart: