Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:59 pm

^crazy prices, too. But so are all the regular houses in every major city these days. Completely unattainable.

My older brother said when he was in Denmark last year he was talking with some locals and they said asked why anyone would want to have more than a 20 minute bicycle commute to work - everyone there lives close and cycles to work.. but then again you can drive clear across the whole country in 4.5 hours.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:03 pm

home sweet home. it looks a bit different now, this is a 2 decade old pic of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:10 pm

^^

I agree. Completely unattainable. I don't have much hope that my kids will ever make rent let alone buy homes. I'm prepared that they might live with me forever. I think that's fine and I don't mind, but I know it bothers them because they deserve so much more. I don't think my son and DIL will ever have kids, simply because they can't afford to live anywhere between her PhD and his Master's degrees (plus relevant and high-paying work experience.)

Actually, my son in AUS is saving to buy a home. Salaries are way higher there, and it's actually normal for a person to afford housing. Imagine that. He has a car too, because shouldn't a person be able to afford one?

When my kids were in daycare and again when my daughter was in a specialty high school, I drove nearly two hours each way for drop offs / work / pickups. I had to get up at 4 a.m. when they were babies, to shovel snow by myself and get them to daycare (two different places, the opposite direction of work), before work. People gotta do what they gotta do.

I'm lucky I got into the housing market when I did, and luckier still that I've had a 2.79 mortgage for almost a decade. I honestly couldn't afford a one bedroom rental for what I pay in mortgage now (after paying for over 30 years, but still ...)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
home sweet home. it looks a bit different now, this is a 2 decade old pic of it.

That's great blabbs.
It's on a nice chunk of land too.

I pictured one of the rounded silver trailers, because you call it your tin can! :D

Which shed is yours? Both? Is that a carport?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:19 pm

carport in front of shed#1 on left side of photo/property. it is a square tin can, mebbe call it a metal carton? glad you approve 8) it has served me well since 2008 and hopefully 'til i push up the daisies and somebody inherits it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:32 pm

My grandparents from CA had a trailer vacation home in Arizona.
I might be able to find some pics.

I like trailers.
I could be VERY happy in one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:34 pm

do you have a favorite genre of tin can? like an era? mine was built in 1977 at the tail end of them being tin, afterwards they gave them wood exteriors and called them "manufactured homes" or even "pre-fabs."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:41 pm

OK nevermind, finding pictures of Arizona might require me standing up. :twisted:

Here's my other grandad's place.

These are pictures from about ten years ago when it was for sale.
It's all staged furniture for real estate.
It didn't look like that when he was there.

He vacated the premises on my 16th birthday.
In the kitchen.
By his own hand. :(

It was a nice place, though.
He didn't have that stupid swimming pool.
We had horses there.

He built the place himself from prefab.
It's been torn down now, sadly.

This is his property going down to the boathouse that he built.

Hey! Here he is now, doing a headstand in that living room, circa 1981.

Love you Gramps.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:52 pm

he was fit and he had a pretty good deal going there for a while.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:56 pm

He was 1000% autistic but never dx of course.
There's a lot of heartache in his story, but yeah ... he was fit.

I'm still looking for the trailer on my laptop because I'm lazy. :twisted:

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 10:48 am

I'm pretty sure I have a collection of Street Views of nearly every house I've ever been in (for residence or family, and I think one friend's house) (finding some from way back were a challenge/they no longer exist)

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 12:43 pm

What an average home goes for here
Image[/url] free image hosting

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 12:45 pm

$4177 / month???? WTF are your mortgage rates?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:17 pm

I have no idea.Never had one.

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2023, 1:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
^^

I agree. Completely unattainable. I don't have much hope that my kids will ever make rent let alone buy homes. I'm prepared that they might live with me forever. I think that's fine and I don't mind, but I know it bothers them because they deserve so much more. I don't think my son and DIL will ever have kids, simply because they can't afford to live anywhere between her PhD and his Master's degrees (plus relevant and high-paying work experience.)

Actually, my son in AUS is saving to buy a home. Salaries are way higher there, and it's actually normal for a person to afford housing. Imagine that. He has a car too, because shouldn't a person be able to afford one?

When my kids were in daycare and again when my daughter was in a specialty high school, I drove nearly two hours each way for drop offs / work / pickups. I had to get up at 4 a.m. when they were babies, to shovel snow by myself and get them to daycare (two different places, the opposite direction of work), before work. People gotta do what they gotta do.

I'm lucky I got into the housing market when I did, and luckier still that I've had a 2.79 mortgage for almost a decade. I honestly couldn't afford a one bedroom rental for what I pay in mortgage now (after paying for over 30 years, but still ...)

Can I ask how old are you, how old are your children,? If thats not too personal. It would help me understand better your home situation, including why they still live with you.

Well, I guess I can share a little bit about my home situation myself. I'm really 28(like my profile says), I live with the parents, but, thats because I'm trying to save up for something big. If I would have rented an apartment, I would have to give up on other things like car, and so on. I also would have to work more, and as an autism spectrum disorder person, I cant tolerate too much hours of work a day.

I have 1 daughter outside marriage. She lives with my former girlfriend. She's almost 3 now. It happened because my girlfriend at the time, pressured me about this, and, she really wanted to be a young mother early. Also, there were serious plans to get married and rent something together, but eventually she had reached some stupid conclusion I'm not "the man" for her.

I still have her as a facebook friend, and the occassional phone call, you know.

My parents's apartment is pretty small, and alot of bickering over little stupid issues, and a lack of privacy unfortunately.

I still have yet to learn how to upload photos to this site, or attach them,. Once you teach me and explain how, I'll share. I actually took new home photos specifically for this thread.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 2:18 pm

I'm 40 and rent a room from my mom. I've lived here for 11 years or so. I don't have my own place for the same reason IsabellaLinton's kids don't - prices are completely unaffordable. Anyone who has an option of living inexpensively in their parents' home does these days pretty much.. it's very common now. Jobs don't pay enough money to buy or rent places and then still have enough money for transportation and food etc.

This site doesn't host images like facebook does, so you can't directly attach and upload them here. You have to use an image hosting site and then copy the address location of the image and paste it here into a message with image tags. I use http://www.imgbb.com to upload pics and then copy the "bbcode full link," and then delete the url tags before posting so there's no stupid link to an ad posted.