Following a sports team is pointless really

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 8:34 am

One thing I can't understand about sports like soccer for example is the logic of getting excited if the team you follow wins match or scores a goal. Its meaningless really if they score a goal because next week they might lose for example.

Do you agree with my opinion about the pointlessness of following a sports team? That being said I can see the importance of getting excited about the world Cup because it will make history if your country wins.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 8:43 am

Well you could say that about getting excited over anything.

It's good to get excited and if its sport that does that for you then why not.

I get excited about horse racing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 8:45 am

I don't really understand the concept of liking the home team unless some of the players are known AND liked personally. When I watch the Olympics, I don't route for my country. It seems tribal. I'm not into patriotism. I only watch figure skating and gymnastics, though. I don't like sports with balls.

Well, I did watch the Little League World Series in person once (never again!). My sister-in-law got all bent out of shape when the US lost. It seemed extraordinarily silly to me, especially since it was about kids. I wanted them all to win. I generally want both teams to lose when it's about grownups, but it never works out. *sigh*

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:33 am

I'm not sure it's pointless to get excited over a team you like doing well. The fact that they will likely struggle in a few seasons if they aren't right now doesn't mean much because the point is the here-and-now, not the long-term.

I don't think I'd even be aware if Canada won a soccer world cup. I think Hank Hill understood why.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:52 am

Guess it could be looked at this way, following sports teams creates opportunities for people to make an income from providing sports team related stuff and/or services.

Full disclosure: I don't much follow sports teams. Have a ball cap with the Saint Louis Cardinals baseball team logo on it, and that's pretty much the sum total of my activities involving sports teams.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:00 am

*Hear! Hear!*

While sports in general are an excellent form of social bonding, and a pastime, plus offer a fun way to exercise one's body, the way many sports have been used to both pacify the populace (by getting People to devote much time to "following" teams/matches/series/etc.) AND, at the same time, DIVIDE or otherwise "silo" the population) is down right criminal.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:13 am

The title of your post is correct, but it seems to me like *everything* is "pointless".

Zero sum game

Your explanation makes sense, but along the same lines, you could (correctly) say "what is the point of eating when you are just going to get hungry again?". (Same thing)

Besides watching professional sports could just be entertainment. There doesn't have to be a "point" to professional sports. Or anything else

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:33 am

I agree with the OP. The point is that out of all the teams, only one is the eventual winner… and then only for one year. So supporting a team is an absolute crock, you are doomed to perpetual/eventual disappointment. You see grown men crying!

At least with eating you can get some enjoyment out of the process.

I hate football anyway. In the English game it is all about money. Who has the richest billionaire owner who is prepared to splash the most cash to gain success.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:36 pm

It’s sort of fun to watch post Super Bowl interviews. Hearing buffoons incoherently thanking God is always entertaining.

Why should they thank God anyway? If he exists, I doubt he GAF about football. His time could be better employed elsewhere than watching and overseeing the overt display of muscle, brawn, and mind-numbing idiocy. He could be curing cancer, preventing car accidents, or slaying war criminals. That sort of thing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:24 am

Sports were invented so men could develop their war skills, but also have an opportunity to hug and kiss each other with public acclaim. They could practise leadership, cooperation, strategy, planning, disappointment, and bouncing up and down crying when their bestie scored a goal. Win win in terms of emotional intelligence. It must have been even better in the first Olympics, when they all competed naked. :heart:

As for supporting a team, why not Jamesy? Most people who are diehard fans of a specific franchise have studied the team's stats for years and they want their own predictions to come true. Most of these people have money riding on games whether they're in a fantasy league, they're hard-core gamblers, or they make bets with their friends. Once you know the history of a team you develop empathy for that club even if the players or managers change over time.

I agree it's "pointless" since I don't gamble or follow stats but I love a good sporting match, especially when the dudes get to jump around sobbing and embracing their mates.

*Yes I know there are women's teams too, but men are way cuter imo.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:33 am

^ They do seem to pat each other’s butts a lot in football.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:43 am

Sport evolved from war, Horse riders playing with the head of a captured leader evolved into the sport of Polo. Stadium sports evolved from colosseums hosting gladiator competitions. People has their favourites. Gladiator sport took people's minds of corrupt leaders.

In this day and age sport takes peoples minds of people from corrupt leaders. Not much has changed,

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:48 am

I think they should play naked. It would be much more interesting. Maybe I’d actually watch that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:54 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
^ They do seem to pat each other’s butts a lot in football.

It's so sweet! Just like a mama bear and her cubs!

btw have I mentioned I'm terrified of pandas?! 8O

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:54 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think they should play naked. It would be much more interesting. Maybe I’d actually watch that.

I'm down.
Care for a brownie?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:56 am

^^^ Unfortunately there is a market for that...it's called lingerie football

There is also a disproportionate male audience for female athletics and beach volleyball. Leaves little to the imagination.