Curious how many of you feel that most people don't like you

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 9:44 pm

I am almost 40. I would say it took me until my mid to late 20s to accept that most people don't like me.

For example, I usually wear beat up shoes because I like broken in shoes better than newer ones. I realized at some point that a lot of people will judge you for that. Same with general fashion sense - I have none of it and don't like thinking about it.

Its easy to say "oh those people are shallow" but when you are young it affects you. One time, a friend flat out told me they had to uninvite me to a social event because they had talked to the others and "they didn't like the way I dressed." I had talked to the others maybe all of 5 minutes and said very little so I know for sure its not something I said.

I've always felt that people were like that - that wherever I went most people just wouldn't like me for superficial reasons.

I am older now, have a career that fits with me and it doesn't bother me anymore. I still wear beat up shoes and one of my neighbors assumed I was unemployed (I work from home).

Any other similar experiences? I feel its mutual now, I don't really like most people and they don't like me, so I am ok with that.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:47 pm

Yes, and I think I have avoidant personality disorder. I am most afraid of people in close relationships suddenly hating me or secretly hating me, but I tend to assume that most people at best don't care about me.

It wasn't always this way! I used to have a general idea that I was well liked. That changed a few years ago after enough negative experiences.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

As a child, I rationally knew people do not like me or will not like me. Rationally accept the fact.

Emotionally, unfortunately, is not the case. Irrationally not accepting the fact.

I wish my rational and conscious conclusions matches this emotional irrational nuisance. :x
Does anyone else knew what this means? And how to actually solve it?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:27 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with humans. They are very interesting in theory, but practically it's so very messy. I am well liked b/c I accommodate others. If I were to assert myself...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:49 pm

With regard to the "Spectrum of Affiliation", liking others does not require having a relationship with them.  So the concept of whether or not people with whom I have no relationship actually like me has an ephemeral quality, at best.

But for those with whom I have relationships, their "like" for me seems to fall somewhere between contempt and companionship, and vacillates between those two extremes.

People rarely (if ever) like me for myself, but for the things I can give them or do for them -- little else.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:56 pm

People like my mind which is what I can give you here.
The problem is most people never get to know my mind, IRL.
I'd go so far as to say only one person has.

When I was young people didn't get close enough to have an opinion.
Family members were intimidated by me because I had meltdowns.
In Uni I was an odd duck, tolerated but mostly ignored.
That was fine with me. ^
I suppose the lack of verbal communication and eye contact didn't help.

A few people liked me at work, but that was all showmanship.
Some partners liked me for my money and my gullibility.
That didn't last long when I saw what they were up to.

My exh hates me, because he knows I won't take his BS.
One exbf hates me because I ... wouldn't take his BS.
Host is very frustrated with me most of the time.
That's because of his BS. :lol:

Mess with my kids and you're f****d.

Most people now think I'm a recluse.
I suppose I am.

In between there were a few people who thought I was great.
That would go along swimmingly, until it didn't.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:44 pm

Seeing as I have very few friends I think its.likely that people don't like.me. Knowing that doesn't stop me from trying to be likeable because I really do want to have friends.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 11:51 pm

Most people don't like interacting with me. I'm too awkward and annoying IRL.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:52 am

I'm definitely a "specialty item." Most people dislike or are indifferent to me. A very small number sincerely like me.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:04 am

Most people don't like me, especially after I make it so, on purpose.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:33 am

I don't have many friends, but I actually think that they do like me. I've been struggling with a difficult situation for the past year, and I have really burdened the people I'm closest to by crying and complaining to them frequently, but they have continued to be supportive and show that they care about me. Even some friends I didn't really know well have gone out of their way to be supportive.

Although I tend to be quite self-effacing and my few friends assume that I don't think that people like me, and that I don't have a high opinion of myself, which I actually do. I think I'm fine as a person. I just don't seek validation.

But there's a different kind of being liked, a more superficial one, that for me at least is not easy and maybe impossible to achieve. Casual acquaintances (or co-workers) tend to like someone who is charming and entertaining (a life of the party type) and knows how to flatter them and make them feel special. Those are skills I do not possess. And also someone who knows how to fit in and how to be chatty and pleasant. I can do that a little bit, but it doesn't come naturally, and I generally avoid it.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:40 am

stratozyck wrote:
I am almost 40. I would say it took me until my mid to late 20s to accept that most people don't like me.

For example, I usually wear beat up shoes because I like broken in shoes better than newer ones. I realized at some point that a lot of people will judge you for that. Same with general fashion sense - I have none of it and don't like thinking about it.

Its easy to say "oh those people are shallow" but when you are young it affects you. One time, a friend flat out told me they had to uninvite me to a social event because they had talked to the others and "they didn't like the way I dressed." I had talked to the others maybe all of 5 minutes and said very little so I know for sure its not something I said.

I've always felt that people were like that - that wherever I went most people just wouldn't like me for superficial reasons.

I am older now, have a career that fits with me and it doesn't bother me anymore. I still wear beat up shoes and one of my neighbors assumed I was unemployed (I work from home).

Any other similar experiences? I feel its mutual now, I don't really like most people and they don't like me, so I am ok with that.
I have had people assume I was homeless because of the way I was dressed. This happened several times. I've also been mistaken for a man several times, although I am a cisgender woman. I think most NTs would say, "Why don't you just dress differently? This seems like an easy problem to solve." And while it might seem that way, it's not necessarily the case. I would feel totally weird and uncomfortable if I started, for instance, wearing make up or high heeled shoes, or had my hair done in a salon. It would feel like a bizarre costume.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2023, 11:01 am

colliegrace wrote:
Yes, and I think I have avoidant personality disorder. I am most afraid of people in close relationships suddenly hating me or secretly hating me, but I tend to assume that most people at best don't care about me.

It wasn't always this way! I used to have a general idea that I was well liked. That changed a few years ago after enough negative experiences.

I can relate 100%. People on the outside look at it as "social anxiety disorder" but I think to myself, I am not anxious I just know how things tend to go.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2023, 11:03 am

Edna3362 wrote:
As a child, I rationally knew people do not like me or will not like me. Rationally accept the fact.

Emotionally, unfortunately, is not the case. Irrationally not accepting the fact.

I wish my rational and conscious conclusions matches this emotional irrational nuisance. :x
Does anyone else knew what this means? And how to actually solve it?

well, what helped me was getting married and having kids hah. I also have pets.

I dont' think it will be solved. It seems everyone else gets a fundamental joy out of being with people because there is a positive feedback loop.

When I was in school there was a guy that had the same birthday as me and everyone knew this. Everyone in school went overboard wishing him a happy bd and no one ever said anything about mine.

I could be offended, but I just got over it I guess.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2023, 12:58 pm

Those people don't sound like our people if you know what I mean, OP

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 1:22 pm

I have issues with "anxiety", in that, I definitely go through it, though the vast majority of the time, it is because many others who I have no other option but to HAVE TO interact with, have proven to be toxic, time and time again. Other than that, I tend to not experience much anxiety over other things. IOW, it's certain other people, the "rotten apples", who tend to spoil my desire to create lasting, healthy relationships with others.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"