Being the "voice of reason", and/or "the conscious"

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 12:31 pm

Just wondering if anybody else has always had the notion that they were the only "voice of reason" and/or the "conscious" of a group of people...

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:07 pm

I feel that I am more of the "Designated Driver" -- the one who must remain sober, expressing only logic and reason to bring the people "back home".

So, go ahead and have your fun.  I will be there when you need my guidance.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:16 pm

I'm not.
No matter what my intentions are, it's always this stupid impulsive, egocentric and irrational thing inside me that does all the actions and thinking abd I hate it.

If I don't have that nuisance that looks and functions as 'immaturity', I'd actually ended up being the voice of reason.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:44 pm

I've never felt that I was the default voice of resaon for a group. But every so often I end up in a situation where it feels like I'm the only one even trying to be rational, reasonable and diplomatic. Too bad my powers of persuasion are non-existant. You know things have really gone off the rails when I'm the voice of reason.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:47 pm

Sometimes the conscious, rarely the designated driver and often the devil's advocate. :twisted:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 5:38 am

I don't think any group has ever seen me as its voice of reason. I tend to feel as if I get to the heart of things and have a clearer view of matters than most people do, but I think that comes from having a different way of thinking to theirs. Other people's thinking tends to make less sense to me than my own, so it feels as if they're talking nonsense a lot of the time, even though their ideas might be more valid than they look to me. Mind you, it seems that other people succumb to advertising and other propaganda (otherwise why do those things exist?), so maybe in some ways I really do think more clearly than they do.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2023, 6:12 am

My family calls me “the truth troll”.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:14 am

Come to think of it, my grandfather had a reputation in the family of having awkward opinions, and of usually being correct.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:15 am

Thanks, all.

IDK, I just have always "seen" all the "incorrectness" of much of what people in general do, and have never had any desire to ignore those things... I suppose it's me having the principle of "Be the change you'd like to see in the world" (I remember that phrase deeply resonating with me when I was first exposed to it) as well as me being "stuck" in the US my entire life. That does things to an individual, as I'm sure y'all are aware.

(I suppose, also, that it was my lived experiences up until I was in my 30s or so that helped shape and bolster that attitude... I really got into environmentalism right out of HS, and ran with it... and lived in a relatively small community, located on the outskirts of a major metropolis... funky beach town... it is almost like an island... is sheltered from the urban sprawl)

(then ofc there's my current situation, where I'm stuck with a "caregiver" who amounts to be the embodiment of all I KNOW is counter-productive to the environmental and anti-capital struggles)

*sigh*

edit: I was only referring to one's own thoughts, as opposed to what others thought of you. ALTHOUGH, I have for sure had others scold me for pointing out certain things, and/or have had people tell me I made them feel stupid. again... *sigh*

My text only website

Last edited by mrpieceofwork on 03 Jun 2023, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:16 am

I'm only sometimes the "voice of reason" or "conscience" for people because of severe trauma, not necessarily autism. Any perfectionism or desire to strictly adhere to rules I just keep to myself and hold myself to those standards, but I was made to be a "mediator" in my family by the time I was a toddler, so now in my adult life I often seem to be the one other people will come to vent to and the one who has to calm other people down during altercations at work. It's stressful and triggers me though, so I don't like it. I just let that happen because I'm used to it.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:26 am

Fairfield wrote:
now in my adult life I often seem to be the one other people will come to vent to and the one who has to calm other people down during altercations at work. It's stressful and triggers me though, so I don't like it. I just let that happen because I'm used to it.

I've definitely had the same happen to me. I was also always told I was a good listener, and now, in retrospect, it was THEM merely needing to hear themselves "talk it out"... I never really offered much of any insight or direction to them.

My text only website

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 8:45 am

I often felt that way throughout my life. I was seen as calm, stoic and the "good kid" who never got into trouble.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 8:51 am

Unfortunately I've generally learned not to voice my reason... I try to share it in acceptable amounts, which are necessarily ever so small. I am known for having high standards and integrity. I am mostly respected for it but it also annoys folks.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:18 am

I'm the type of friend who people go to for advice. Some people consider me to be a calming anchor. Those who truly know me realise that I am, in fact, a disaster. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:29 am

Once in a while...I take on the role of "the adult in the room" with other adults.

Or I 'get' what person A is saying that person B doesnt get, and act as the "translator" between the two.

But its not a constant thing that happens all of the time.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 12:22 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I'm the type of friend who people go to for advice. Some people consider me to be a calming anchor. Those who truly know me realise that I am, in fact, a disaster. :lol:

Same for me actually :lol: