Utah School District Bans the Bible.

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 5:16 am

KitLily wrote:
So Christians are banning the Bible and Mormons are banning the Book of Mormon? That doesn't make sense. Are they going to change religion or something?
No, they are just banning the Bible in elementary and junior high schools.  They may still teach from the Bible and/or the Book of Mormon in their temples.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:38 am

Mormon fundamentalists?

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mormon fundamentalists?

I know, right? lol

that said, I believe it refers to those who live communally, and have a strict male hierarchy (complete with multiple wives)

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 9:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mormon fundamentalists?

What about "Mormon Fundamentalists"?

What question are you asking?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 9:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mormon fundamentalists?

While Mormons in Utah believe in the modern day text of the Bible, they also believe that it is incomplete and that errors have been introduced. Therefore it's plausible that if you are a fundamentalist Mormon you might be inclined to ban the bible for the reasons given.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 10:12 am

mrpieceofwork wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mormon fundamentalists?

I know, right? lol

that said, I believe it refers to those who live communally, and have a strict male hierarchy (complete with multiple wives)

I know they shut down YFZ, but whatever happened to Short Creek (the FLDS community on the UT-AZ border)?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 10:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mormon fundamentalists?

While Mormons in Utah believe in the modern day text of the Bible, they also believe that it is incomplete and that errors have been introduced. Therefore it's plausible that if you are a fundamentalist Mormon you might be inclined to ban the bible for the reasons given.

So your question is this: Are the folks behind this drive to "ban the Bible" Mormon Fundies?

I would think that the answer to that question would be obvious.

And the answer is NO!

The lady behind it is doing it in the name of secular free speech, and not in the name of Mormonism, and doing it to induce the religious right stab itself with it's own sword.

Mormons consider themselves to be a brand of Christianity. So it would be out of character for them to do such a thing (I know...you tried to cover your tracks with that bit about them believing that the Bible has 'errors'). And if they were to do that they would have done it a 100 years ago instead waiting until now.

https://youtu.be/1kvlfVb_Kr4

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 2:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
KitLily wrote:
So Christians are banning the Bible and Mormons are banning the Book of Mormon? That doesn't make sense. Are they going to change religion or something?
No, they are just banning the Bible in elementary and junior high schools.  They may still teach from the Bible and/or the Book of Mormon in their temples.

I see. But that is still very weird: it's the book they base their whole lives around and they aren't letting younger children read it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:37 pm

KitLily wrote:
Fnord wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I see. But that is still very weird: it's the book they base their whole lives around and they aren't letting younger children read it.

Some parts of it aren’t appropriate for younger kids. It’s unusually sensible of certain people to see that. Encouraging kids to read the entire thing is weird IMO, and I grew up in a religion in which kids were obligated to read it. They seemed to view kids like miniature adults in some ways.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:38 pm

https://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/twain/letearth.htm

Mark Twain wrote:

...Take the case of Jeroboam. "I will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall." It was done. And not only was the man that did it cut off, but everybody else.

The same with the house of Baasha: everybody was exterminated, kinsfolks, friends, and all, leaving "not one that pisseth against a wall."

In the case of Jeroboam you have a striking instance of the Deity's custom of not limiting his punishments to the guilty; the innocent are included. Even the "remnant" of that unhappy house was removed, even "as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone." That includes the women, the young maids, and the little girls. All innocent, for they couldn't piss against a wall. Nobody of that sex can. None but members of the other sex can achieve that feat.

A curious prejudice. And it still exists. Protestant parents still keep the Bible handy in the house, so that the children can study it, and one of the first things the little boys and girls learn is to be righteous and holy and not piss against the wall. They study those passages more than they study any others, except those which incite to masturbation. Those they hunt out and study in private. No Protestant child exists who does not masturbate. That art is the earliest accomplishment his religion confers upon him. Also the earliest her religion confers upon her.

The Bible has this advantage over all other books that teach refinement and good manners: that it goes to the child. It goes to the mind at its most impressible and receptive age -- the others have to wait.

"Thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee."

That rule was made in the old days because "The Lord thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp."

It is probably not worthwhile to try to find out, for certain, why the Midianites were exterminated. We can only be sure that it was for no large offense; for the cases of Adam, and the Flood, and the defilers of the wall teach us that much. A Midianite may have left his paddle at home and thus brought on the trouble. However, it is no matter. The main thing is the trouble itself, and the morals of one kind and another that it offers for the instruction and elevation of the Christian of today....

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:49 pm

I don't think religious texts should be required reading in a public school. If the individual is a member of that faith and wants to read it in their own time that's fine.

I would agree the bible contains questionable content. The issue with banning it is those on the more extreme side of that faith taking it as some sort of personal attack against them. They already have massive issues even more benign things like saying happy holidays

I think this kind of issue needs to be handled with care.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:59 pm

TIL a bunch of stuff about Mark Twain I never knew about, stuff that makes it crystal clear why it is not widely shared, if at all, with the youth of the US.
Wow!

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 7:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
[
The lady behind it is doing it in the name of secular free speech, and not in the name of Mormonism, and doing it to induce the religious right stab itself with it's own sword.

Oh good....the right eating itself

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 2:06 am

Wait! maybe the MAGA/Mormon nutjobs might have a point

Genesis 19:33
Lot and His Daughters
…Come, let us get our father drunk with wine so we can sleep with him and preserve his line.” So that night they got their father drunk with wine, and the firstborn went in and slept with her father; he was not aware when she lay down or when she got up. The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Look, I slept with my father last night. Let us get him drunk with wine again tonight so you can go in and sleep with him and we can preserve our father’s line.”…

God damn!! (no pun intended)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 2:42 am

Well if they do want to ban books the bible should be one of the first ones to go it has all kind of stuff that by the christians own standards should not be considered appropriate for children unless of course it's Jesus. Then everything is appropriate for them as long as it has jesus on it.

But to start the bible has a story of two women raping their father, tons of women sold into sex slavery. LIke as little girl it was dissapointing to find out my religion basically just always catered to men and women just weren't important..well as a girl kid I knew I would become one of those hated 'women' so I hid in boys clothes as long as I could becuse I did not want to be seen as a woman...even though actually I likee being a woman I always felt I should be ashamed of it, Like I would wish I had been born a boy so I didn't have the orginal sin and cold do what I want. But I was only ever a girl so I 'couldn't do those things'

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 2:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
[

Oh good....the right eating itself

Well...its a center-left person luring the Right into biting itself. But yes. The Right being "hoist on its own Pitard".