Utah School District Bans the Bible.

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:58 pm

Utah district bans Bible in elementary and middle schools 'due to vulgarity or violence'.

The Good Book is being treated like a bad book in Utah after a parent frustrated by efforts to ban materials from schools convinced a suburban district that some Bible verses were too vulgar or violent for younger children.

And the Book of Mormon could be next.

On Friday, a complaint was submitted about the signature scripture of the predominant faith in Utah, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, widely known as the Mormon church.  A copy of the complaint obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune through a public records request shows that the parent noted the Bible contains instances of incest, prostitution, and rape.

Read the Full AP News Article Here 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:06 pm

I don’t think that portions of the Bible are appropriate for young children, especially specific, gruesome passages in the Old Testament. I’d probably be okay with it in middle school on up.

It gave me nightmares as a young child and negatively impacted my mental health in other ways. If we don’t let kids watch violent movies, we probably shouldn’t let them read extremely violent passages of the Bible which contain other adult themes. Some of it is bad enough for a PG-13 rating at least, I would think.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Jun 2023, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:13 pm

Utah banning the Book of Mormon? Isn't that basically the state constitution up there?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Utah banning the Book of Mormon? Isn't that basically the state constitution up there?

My son and I read portions of it when we stayed in a hotel during a vacation. We giggled quite a bit. Fun times.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:19 pm

I studied Literature for a living and I've yet to read it.

I think I'll give it a hard pass based on your reviews.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:20 pm

First Kings 11:3 states that Solomon "had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines."

Joshua (son of Nun) slaughtered entire cities.

Lot's daughters raped him while he was passed out from drinking.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:21 pm

Is he on Sister Wives?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:24 pm

Thats not even hyperbole about the Bible. It does indeed have a lot NON family friendly content.

When I was 12 Grandma gave me ...my own copy of Bible for Xmas.

Sometime later when I was alone I ...cracked it at some random point. It happened to be at a passage that was both violent and sexual in a way that...Im sorry to say...was rather arousing. Had to lock myself in the bathroom.

However the Book of Mormon, from what I have heard, is rather clean. Like a badly written version of the Hobbit. Pure magical fantasy ...set in a fantasy world. But unlike Tolkien ...its a fantasy that pretends to be true! Lol! So I am not sure one could make a case for banning it for the same reasons as the Bible.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:28 pm

Moses orders in Numbers 31:17-18:

Quote:
Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

1 Samuel 15:1-3:
Quote:
Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Gross stuff about virginity and rape in Deuteronomy 22:
Quote:
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Thats not even hyperbole about the Bible. It does indeed have a lot NON family friendly content.

When I was 12 Grandma gave me ...my own copy of Bible for Xmas.

Sometime later when I was alone I ...cracked it at some random point. It happened to be at a passage that was both violent and sexual in a way that...Im sorry to say...was rather arousing. Had to lock myself in the bathroom.

However the Book of Mormon, from what I have heard, is rather clean. Like a badly written version of the Hobbit. Pure magical fantasy ...set in a fantasy world. But unlike Tolkien ...its a fantasy that pretends to be true! Lol! So I am not sure one could make a case for banning it for the same reasons as the Bible.

It’s VERY badly written. John Smith was a poor writer who was inspired by the language of the KJV Bible. He repeats different phrases ad nauseam. It’s hysterical. There’s obvious racism in it, too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I like the Song of Solomon. Erotic poetry is always nice. There are nice passages in Psalms, and Revelations is cool in a trippy kind of way.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:42 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I like the Song of Solomon. Erotic poetry is always nice. There are nice passages in Psalms, and Revelations is cool in a trippy kind of way.

What about Noah? Boring?

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:44 pm

The latest book-banning binge makes me want to spit nails, so this is a wonderful way to begin my weekend. :lol: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Thank you, Fnord!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

What about Noah? Boring?

I’m not a fan, but I was raised with the idea that the Flood and Noah’s ark were factual accounts. The story was largely inspired by local flood myths and The Epic of Gilgamesh. Anyway, I just find it too cringey based on my background to think about Noah too much. JWs have their own spin on it, too, which is also cringey.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:47 pm

I don’t like the idea of banning books, but when it comes to young children, I make an exception.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:02 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t like the idea of banning books, but when it comes to young children, I make an exception.

It's also problematic since little kids know it's supposedly true, and that millions of people shape their whole lives around following it. There's a certain degree of psychological abuse inherent to that. A children's Bible, sure, but the real Bible? It sounds so terrifying.