Utah School District Bans the Bible.

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:06 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t like the idea of banning books, but when it comes to young children, I make an exception.

It's also problematic since little kids know it's supposedly true, and that millions of people shape their whole lives around following it. There's a certain degree of psychological abuse inherent to that. A children's Bible, sure, but the real Bible? It sounds so terrifying.
Yeah, that’s a large reason why I found it so terrifying compared to other things I read or video games I played. The Bible was presented as real, as the ultimate source of Truth and God’s love. Disturbing stuff.

Stories about demon possession, genocide, plagues, Hell, and much more are really scary to kids when they are taught to believe that it’s all real.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Jun 2023, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sometime later when I was alone I ...cracked it at some random point. It happened to be at a passage that was both violent and sexual in a way that...Im sorry to say...was rather arousing. Had to lock myself in the bathroom.

I feel like this deserves an award.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:08 pm

I first learned about masturbation and tried it out for myself after reading about the evils of it in a Watchtower article for young people. :nerdy:

I felt SO guilty. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:11 pm

I used Playboy myself. ^
Do they have the same Editor?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Had to lock myself in the bathroom.

Stomach ache? :( :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I used Playboy myself. ^
Do they have the same Editor?

Hmm…

Did Playboy talk about how masturbating would hurt Jehovah, make you feel guilty, and cause sexual problems in your future marriage?

Did it mention how you should talk about your struggle with your local elders so they could provide much-needed spiritual support?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:17 pm

Nah, it didn't say anything actually.
It wasn't even the naked ladies.
It was one of those little hand-drawn cartoons.

I could write and enquire about the other stuff though.
Maybe they could do a redaction.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Nah, it didn't say anything actually.
It wasn't even the naked ladies.
It was one of those little hand-drawn cartoons.

I could write and enquire about the other stuff though.
Maybe they could do a redaction.

That would be helpful although I thought they went bankrupt and out of business. I could be wrong, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:25 pm

Really? Dang. Times are tough.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Sometime later when I was alone I ...cracked it at some random point. It happened to be at a passage that was both violent and sexual in a way that...Im sorry to say...was rather arousing. Had to lock myself in the bathroom.

I dont think that it was the effect on me that grandma had in mind. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I dont think that it was the effect on me that grandma had in mind. :lol:

Granny wasn't prepared for the blowback. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:09 pm

I remember learning about some rather disturbing Bible stories at primary school. However, to give them credit - at least my school was consistent.

We also learnt about other disturbing books. My teacher covered a YA book aimed at teenagers and read it to us when we were ten. It was about a young boy who had intrusive thoughts about becoming his murderous abusive father. That was a rather intense book.

It does bring in to question what topics are appropriate for young children.

Granted, sometimes you try to teach something innocuous and it backfires. For instance, our school kept chickens to teach us about eggs and how certain animals develop.

Unfortunately, well, chickens have a tendency to be... opportunistic omnivores. Some turn to cannibalism. Which I discovered as a young kid when I was tasked with collecting them to show to the younger kids. I told the younger kids that the chickens couldn't come out today because they were tired and needed to sleep. I decided that was probably better than the truth. However, some kids pushed their way in and saw it. I redirected everyone else as best I could.

Amusingly enough, this happened with the fish as well. The school stuck a bunch of fish in a tank but clearly didn't do any research about the fish, because they all proceeded to eat each other. Well, aside from the fat one at the end.

~ It's the circle of life ~

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 9:07 pm

I remember people telling me to behave certain ways because, they said, "It is in the Bible" or "Jesus said so".

Later, I would open my Bible and concordance, and try to find the passages they had cited.  Either they had taken the passages wholly out of context, or the passages themselves simply did not exist.

It amazes me how often people still say, "It is in the Bible" or "Jesus said so" to gaslight and guilt-trip others (especially children) into doing their bidding, no matter how many times it is pointed out to them that they are either mistaken or outright lying.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 12:50 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Moses orders in Numbers 31:17-18:
Quote:
Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

1 Samuel 15:1-3:
Quote:
Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Gross stuff about virginity and rape in Deuteronomy 22:
Quote:
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

No trans stuff, why would they ban that?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:02 am

Morality can be taught through the greater society, as well as at home, and the Xian bible is not needed for it. Keep religion and bibles out of schools.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:47 am

So Christians are banning the Bible and Mormons are banning the Book of Mormon? That doesn't make sense. Are they going to change religion or something?

:?