Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2023, 1:10 am

(Content warning for self harm, of course)

When I was a younger, I used to self harm by cutting myself with an xacto knife, mostly on the upper legs and torso since those areas were easier to hide.

At the time I did it because I felt overwhelmed and frustrated with the world, and it felt good to be able to do something "outrageous" that I had complete control over. I think it was kind of my way of proving to myself that I didn't care about anything, and I could do whatever I wanted (even though in retrospect I know that wasn't true)

I haven't done it in ages, but I still sometimes feel the way I did at that time, and I get a little nihilistic and mildly self-destructive.

I guess I'm just thinking about this today, because I wish I had something I could do that was less destructive but that gave me the same feeling (emotionally, not the physical feeling)

Have you ever struggled with this? What do you do about it?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 1:46 am

Yes.

I've struggled with BFRB and self-harm since I was 14.
It got out of control because of my adult trauma, which ended in 2009.

I was prescribed Risperidone to control my compulsive behaviours.
I've also spent the better part of 14 years in trauma therapy.

I'm having a very rough year so far, so my doctor is monitoring me.
I relapsed quite a bit in April but I've been a little better lately.

For me it's part psychological and part sensory-seeking.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2023, 1:55 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes.

I've struggled with BFRB and self-harm since I was 14.
It got out of control because of my adult trauma, which ended in 2009.

I was prescribed Risperidone to control my compulsive behaviours.
I've also spent the better part of 14 years in trauma therapy.

I'm having a very rough year so far, so my doctor is monitoring me.
I relapsed quite a bit in April but I've been a little better lately.

For me it's part psychological and part sensory-seeking.

I'm glad that you're getting some support for the problem, that sounds very difficult to deal with.

For me it wasn't compulsive, I think I mostly had control over it (at least, when I did it it felt like a "decision", if there is such a thing when you're feeling that unwell).

Do you have any coping methods that you use when you get the impulse to SH?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:15 am

I post on WP.

Sad, but true.

I don't have any coping methods except not doing it.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very rough day.

My partner used to talk me through it.

What do you do to cope?

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2023, 2:36 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I post on WP.

Sad, but true.

I don't have any coping methods except not doing it.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very rough day.

My partner used to talk me through it.

What do you do to cope?

That doesn't strike me as sad, it's a good place to distract yourself and talk about how you're feeling with other people.

This feels silly to admit, but I listen to moody music and read violent fan fiction. I associate the feeling with how I felt when I was a teenager, so those things are comforting when I'm like that.

I hope things get better for you soon

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:54 am

I have struggled.with this as well.

Video games.have really helped me with this. Especially games like minecraft. It gives.me something constructive.to do something with a goal in mind. I find it somewhat soothing as well so it helps me move out of negative.mindsets.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 10:35 pm

Yes, I have engaged. I was not a cutter, but a basher. I liked to hit something deep and them mash on the injury to feel the pain. As a result, healing was delayed. Haven't done it deliberately since my 20's... But, when I've had a legitimate injury (not self-inflicted), I would still mash it to keep the pain going.
I got tattoos and some piercings later on. That was a temporary fix.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 10:58 pm

I used to need dozens of acupuncture needles or electric shocks to relax. Fortunately, I could pay for acupuncture or use an electric shock massager for that. But, I'm just now wondering if that was the replacement for the hair pulling that I did as a small child. In both cases there are clear guidelines to keep things from getting it if hand.
I personally have a ridiculous level of pain tolerance to the point of not realizing that I've been bones, do probably little different from the cause of the OP's issue.
I do think that fighting the urge is probably the wrong approach, accepting that it's an urge that you have is going to be a part of healing. Humans just aren't good at avoiding certain kinds of thoughts.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 11:05 pm

If the urge to self harm is really really strong I'll take an ink pen and draw on my skin instead of hurting my skin.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 3:32 am

Permanent nerve damage due to cutting my lady parts. Have an appointment to see a urologist tomorrow.

I still get the urge to cut but I've been able to fight it for quite a few years now.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 3:40 am

colliegrace wrote:
If the urge to self harm is really really strong I'll take an ink pen and draw on my skin instead of hurting my skin.

That's so.smart.

I'm going to try and remember that idea.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 2:54 am

I used to hit my head purposely starting when I was 14. I did it whenever I thought I had done something wrong. So quite often. I also used to punch myself and get bruises.

I started cutting and burning in my adult years. Years ago I cut deep enough to need stitches but I didn't seek medical attention for that. I did end up in the psych ward though and made up my mind that I was there for help. I decided never to harm again. The urges have been strong but I still haven't hurt myself since then. So it's been ten years. Last week I threw away my blades.

I'll read or go online or watch tv if I feel urges. It's worked so far.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 3:17 am

I sometimes cut/burn myself when I'm really angry or overwhelmed or numb (okay, I guess when I feel any intense emotion lmao). For me personally I just have to keep myself distracted when I get the urge until it passes, because nothing really can replace the act of actually doing it. I find that I'm "distracting" myself a lot of the time though, and it makes it hard to not just give in to get it over with.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 3:33 pm

I abused myself today. Not gonna go into detail. I had to do it because I just couldn't think of anything else except for what I absolutely needed to do.

I've not done this to myself for about 10 years.