Really mad at my school district right now

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Magdeli
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2007, 2:23 pm

Today in my networking basics class we started doing binary math and it sort of made me relize I may have been screwed over by the
school district in high school last year. Apparently it involves algerbra I was never taught, and it might put me at a severe disadvantage then the rest of the other students. Part of me wants to get someone to help me sue the district, and the other part of me wants to tell the Special Ed. supervisor at the school. Do you guys have any advice?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 10:52 pm

you should probably start by telling your teacher you never learned this stuff.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 8:45 pm

And then when you get home, tell the people at your high school who are responsible-- principal, math teacher, school board-- of the situation. And keep badgering them (nicely) for help. THEN sue them... try Legal Aid, I think they help with legal aid for people who can't afford it. :)

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 6:45 am

magdeli, i know EXACTLY how you feel!! my high school did same to me, now becuase of that im actually afraid to go to any school such as a college in fear that ill get low test scores or end up having to be taught the slowest possible course offered. i mean it also can make u embarrassed by showing the professors in the school how much u paid attention and they presume (their nt logic) think that you were brainwashed or are just playing headgames with them when in treuth YOU DIDNT LEARN IT TO BEGIN WITH.

i at least wanted to learn something other then just watch my teachers goof off and try to have 1 way conversations with the door closer devices on the classroom door (not kidding here folks, i have had a few who actually named that thing as well.

i know if public school charged like they do for colleges, id demand a refund!!
to top that off, in last 2 years of high school i was accused of an odor that no human can emit (hydrualic fluid odor) and sent home. long story short, they no longer can use the bad brand of closer device, i won the war on door control, they can only use 2 brands, taught them to not trust just anyone who makes an offer, if they want to buy a peice of hardware that means someone has to deal with factory itself or someone has to take a roadtrip and get it themself personally.

special ed programs, i think they do that on purpose thinking that special ed kids go straight to a vocational rehab center (or sheltered workshop whatever your providance or country referrs to them as) its as a result of careless evaluating and falsified reports in iep's.

there have been times in high school were id say same thing to special ed chairman, he said well jess, you have something called AN IEP its a schedule of what we have designed for your education. i wanted to tell him well its too SLOW and i dont feel happy not meeting my academic abilities. im not learning here it seems all im learning is just the names of the door closers by your teachers who act like they need special education to learn fantasy from reality. (to this date it seems that guy never caught on)

i have also said "big deal, i didnt walk 'til i was 6 years old, so what i know alot about door closers, that dont mean i can't think or learn normally!! now go pick on the kid that perfers to stay home just becuase he wants to put another coat of wax on his ride and LEAVE ME ALONE"

my idea is that i think school districts hold kids behind by proxy by not teaching much one year then the next year's teacher or professor can believe that the person has a learning processing disorder when student really wasnt taught the material because of the lazy (also major subject area) teacher!

also mine has tried to put me in home instruction all because the school was starting renovations and they thought i would be too "stimulated" i even told them there, so what, im really used to it im not distracted by banging and contractors working on stuff that the custodians for years were to lazy to do(i guess tehy figured that a contractor would put a hinge or part of building ony my desk or within my visual feild and teacher would probably think id be more into the contracter's business then the schoolwork. if for real a contractor was to put hardware or anything on desk, id get schoolwork done FIRST then take a look at what was placed in my area.

i also feel that maybe special ed was becuase of the "develop-mental" aspect of aspergers?? tehy would make it a compound word develop mental and assume that it means has emotional or mental problems and needs slower or modified environment to their pace.

if anything i felt that schools are there to teach academics, but it seems with special ed they try to invade all areas of a person by teaching them slower all because the student dont have many friends, well in my school, the only people it seemed that did have an ear that listened and understood my situation with things WERE THE CUSTODIANS (believe it or not!)

special ed chairperson there too was not able to mind his own business. i once passed a contractor in hallway and i said hi the next day i had to hear about it, i also had asked speical ed chairperson about moving up to more advanced and i was givin excuse that i refuse to take public bus and that i have disorder relating to autism, i then grabbed my closer and started pulling on its arm and then the chairperson left

i see your point here magdeli, why pay for something you should have learned for free??

xyzyxx, that is a good idea but soemtimes nt minded professors just dont want excuses, if student has time and the professor has some understanding it may be possible for student to try to explain that they have aspergers and that the special ed dept wasnt the best or that special ed wasnt best placement for a person suffering from a social disability that may not have anything to do with how you process newly learned info.

i dont know if you will win or not there mags, but if it still dont catch on to the school district go to the board of ed (this is a group of people that meets and makes plans for the district) if still no luck, go to state or county board of ed some board of ed's have public meetings for general public to attend and vote for things or discuss things (sorta like student government or debate teams) and maybe you can make your issue known there. who knows maybe its not just you who has had same experiance.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2007, 1:52 am

I had problems with math when we had to take those state mandated tests that you HAD to pass or you were held back which included stuff that i was never taught, and since i am considered gifted they wouldn't give me a break on it.

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 12:02 pm

I'm taking a Java class and there is all kinds of math in there that I have to be able to know and I feel like I wasn't taught some of that stuff earlier in life either. It kind of makes me a little bit mad but i'm trying not to focus to heavily on that.