Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:37 pm

I can judge emotion from looking at faces - I just never look. Is that a yes or a no?

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 3:17 am

I scored 45

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2007, 10:02 am

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 10:23 am

that test has been posted on here quite a lot am think,except this websites' version of it is easier to read/see.

it is not the best as it seems to focus on high functioning academic aspergans when it is supposed to be a general spectrum test as well.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 10:28 am

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 1:33 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
that test has been posted on here quite a lot am think,except this websites' version of it is easier to read/see.

it is not the best as it seems to focus on high functioning academic aspergans when it is supposed to be a general spectrum test as well.

I'm not disputing your comments here... It seems to me like it'd be really difficult to create a general spectrum test. I know that a number of "low functioning" autistics are perfectly capable of reading and writing, yet have so much difficulty with some other aspects of "fitting in" that they're unable to really carry a conversation or speak much at all. Given that wide a variety of experiences it kinda seems like a test for low functioning autism wouldn't be the same test you'd give to a high functioning person because so many of the questions might not be applicable across the board. I.e. questions about how I socialize with people might not be applicable for people with low-functioning autism or vice versa. (I suppose flow-charting the questions might help that.) Or for that matter that a test for low-functioning autism might either not be self-administered (for x number of individuals who couldn't really self-administer it) or not be really necessary (i.e. you can tell from observing a person that they express low-functioning autistic behavior). So my thinking (and I could be wrong) is that although they intended it as a general autism test and didn't do a great job at it, it makes more sense for them to have started with the idea of creating a test that helps people loosely identify the varieties high-functioning autism that so frequently go undiagnosed, like mine has from an early age until a few months ago now that I'm 32 and going to see someone at MHMR on Tuesday about the possibility of an official diagnosis. So if they failed at their original objective I think it might actually be a good thing.

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2007, 6:49 pm

ike wrote:
The question of "would you prefer to to to the library or a party" is a really good example of this. Today I would probably rationalize "there are more opportunities to make friends at the party and the library will still be there afterward" (in spite of or maybe even because of the fact that making friends is difficult for me) and gone to the party because I realize in a very practical sense that my lack of friends has been very problematic for me over the years (especially in the past month). But my natural inclination is that I never really liked parties -- they're so often loud and obnoxious (difficult to tolerate) and the library generally seems so much more pleasant as an opportunity to either escape into sci-fi or learn something (which I love doing). So while I might rationalize going to the party and go to the party every time those options are given to me, on the test I put that I'd definitely go to the library.

That question is one that I really hate from the test, for a couple of reasons.

1) I have a "thing" about owning books; since I've started working (and thus have money), I almost never borrow books, because if I want to read them, I usually want to own them and have them on my shelf.

2) What sort of party? In the last 12 months, I've gone to many birthday parties (which I "want" to go to, in order to wish the person well - even if I then go and hide nearby where there are less people for much of the party itself), one work Christmas party, a wedding, and a funeral. Do they mean that sort of party, or do they mean a "keg-party", with copious loud and abnoxious people? Or, do they mean "let's go and party at a nightclub"?

Depending on how I interpret various questions (and how I compare myself to others), I score in the 26-35 range.

Jimz
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Aug 2007, 7:13 pm

Woohoo i got 30....I win :D

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:40 pm

arem wrote:
2) What sort of party? In the last 12 months, I've gone to many birthday parties (which I "want" to go to, in order to wish the person well - even if I then go and hide nearby where there are less people for much of the party itself), one work Christmas party, a wedding, and a funeral. Do they mean that sort of party, or do they mean a "keg-party", with copious loud and abnoxious people? Or, do they mean "let's go and party at a nightclub"?

I kinda assumed they're banking on people taking the tests to make 2 generalizations about the question, the 1st being that the party is social and the library non-social and that AS and NT tend to be divided between NT's wanting social interaction and AS wanting non-social interaction and the 2nd being that "party" usually means somewhat (if not necessarily tremendously) louder than the library and again people generally being a tad divided between NTs more frequently enjoying louder environments and AS people more frequently preferring quiet environments. I doubt it really occurred to them that the person taking the test would be concerning themselves with other reasons for going to parties like "it's Joe's birthday and I like Joe and I know he'd like to see me at his party".

Although this in particular gets me thinking that the majority of AS people are probably more on the sensing side of the intuitive-sensing scale if given Meyers-Briggs style personality typing tests... I may be somewhat unusual amongst AS in that regard because I bounce between ENFP ("the champion" - uncommon) and ENTP ("the inventor" - rare). I'm also 5-4 on the Enneagram, which if I remember correctly is called the "thinker - iconoclast" because 4 is the "artist" and it's unusual to find people who are equally left(thinker)-and-right(artist)-brain inclined, so we tend to contradict everyone's stereotypes about both artists and thinkers because those two personality types are usually moving away from rather than toward each other. It also makes me unusual as a computer programmer because most programmers seem to be ISTJ which is nearly the opposite of myself.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2007, 8:18 pm

:cry: 36.......duh :cry:

juancho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2007, 8:32 pm

You need Active X to download the test.

I refuse; the blinking sends me round the bend.

So I test out at either 0 or 100.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 8:51 pm

juancho wrote:
You need Active X to download the test.

I refuse; the blinking sends me round the bend.

There's blinking?

I think it's just a Flash movie -- but I don't recall it doing any blinking... granted you don't have to take the test. heh... just sayin'... if you're really curious you could install active-x and then remove it afterward.

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2007, 11:08 pm

40. My kids are fighting in the background. does that affect my score?

aussieguy
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2007, 12:01 pm

They gave me a score of 42. 42 is cool.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2007, 12:25 pm

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2007, 3:21 pm

I've taken this test a few times, scoring between 18 and 24
I've taken the aspie quiz more than a few times, scoring between 46 and 71

Tests like this seem to give different results depending on the mood you are in, another reason why they don't show much... I still don't get how you can say this test isn't a personality test... sure there's a few questions that relate more to the core symptoms of autism, but the rest of them are more geared towards whether or not you LIKE to be around people, which many factors can influence.