Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ATC78248
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2007, 9:27 pm

Over the summer, i just came to terms with the fact that i have Aspergers. I was labled about two years ago, but it was a really confusing process. But having come to terms with it, i don't feel any differant about myself, and by that, i mean worse.

I'm 19, attend UNCA, majoring in Psychology, and live in Asheville while im in school, but i'm really from San Antonio Texas.

I'm trying to get into the Aspergers/ Autism research field, emphasizing in self-advocacy and public awareness. Since i've managed to develop, thanks to a great support system from home(my moms an Occupational therapist, and my aunt chairs a lobbying group for PDD related disorders)
Right now i'm trying to form a support group here at my school.

My interests, which are actually quite broad include, among others: history, politics, cultures, psychology, philosophy, literature, along with many others.

My hobbies include writing, running, hiking, rock climbing, reading.

InfamousMyzt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2007, 9:32 pm

Hello! I'm pretty new here too, but you're interests do seem broad! My interests fit in gaming and computers heheh. Not any broader than that except occasional movies. Welcome to WP.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 9:45 pm

Welcome to WP from a fellow Texan!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

18 Aug 2007, 10:27 pm

Hello,

welcome to WP :)

Yes, your interests are very broad. My interests are things to do with science, medicine etc. Such as weather patterns and neurology.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2007, 11:01 pm

Focusing on the later philosophy movements will help you understand the mind a lot better than psychology, I have been studying both for the past 3 years at University of Alberta.

If you ever run into a classed called Psychology of Self-Estrangement or something focusing on Self-deception, take it. Also recent continental philosophy will open your mind a lot - a lot of the existential stuff - a bit of Sartre, Heidegger, Kierkegaard, Lacan, there's a few other French philosophers I can't recall.

But if you ever get into that stuff I wouldn't bother going any later than Kant.

A lot of that stuff has helped me understand on Autism as a social construction phenomenon as a result of unique relations with others and not something inherent in genetics

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2007, 11:02 pm

Oops I meant any earlier than Kant.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:05 pm

Come in to terms with being aspie is a good step forward in life.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Aug 2007, 6:43 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image