Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 4:53 pm

Really really big eel.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 5:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
About 100 years ago museums had fossils of a giant primitive fish called a coelacanth

The giant fish has been extinct for 230 million years.....or so they thought

Then in 1936 divers of the coast of South Africa got a shock when they ran into a living fossil

Turns out there is one isolated relic population off the coast of the Comoros Islands, which are situated in the Western Indian Ocean between Madagascar that survived.

Moral of the story - animals that appear extinct might actually be still surviving and holding out

Extraordinary claims require...getting your facts straight!

The figure is 66 million years ago. Not "230 million years ago" for the end of the coelecanth's reign in the fossil record.

But yes, even thats a long time ago, and its a significant date because its about the same time that the dinosaurs all went extinct (circa 63 million years ago).

There are other "lazarus species". Plants and animals that scientists knew as fossils BEFORE they discovered living populations. But few were fossils THAT long ago.

So if you want a real life analog to ...an undiscovered breeding population of plesiosaurs (a large marine dinosaurs) living in a Scottish lake slightly larger than Manhattan (what Nessie is supposed to be)still surviving to the present day after the rest of the dinos went extinct 63 million years ago...then...yes...the coelecanth fish is about as good an analog as you're gonna find.

But unlike Nessie they have actual physical specimens of coelecanths in museums now(as well as pretty pics with human divers like above).

They have Nessie hemmed in that narrow lake. And still cant even get a good pic of her. Much less even a skin sample.

WisteriaRose
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2023, 6:02 pm

I hope Nessie is real. It’s wonderful to believe in fantastical creatures. I also believe in fairies, elves, and magic. :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

WisteriaRose
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2023, 7:14 pm

I like that song!

Nessie makes me think about “Puff the Magic Dragon.” :heart: :heart:

It’s one of my favorite songs of all time. Hopefully, Nessie has friends. It would be lonely to be all alone for centuries.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 8:23 pm

Yeah. Our class sang it on stage at a school show in grade school. Great choice for little kids to sing.

After that thing in grade school the rumor spread the world that the song was a coded song about drugs! Puff...the magic dragon...weed! But thats total BS. Paul Stookey wasnt talking about that when he wrote the whimsical song at all.

Well...either Nessie doesnt exist. or she is part of a breeding population that has somehow survived for millions of years.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Ontario is claimed to have several, Mishipeshu, Mugwump, Gaasyendietha, Igopogo, Mussie, Pressie and Kingstie, but not a shred of evidence of any of them has ever been provided beyond some sketchy photos.

Yes, lake sturgeon's are a good candidate

But that doesn't account for all sightings

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:45 am

My all time favourite river monster
Mokele-Mbembe

Local African tribes consider this monster just another beast dwelling in their land.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... mbembe.htm

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 5:19 am

People have all sorts of irrational beliefs. Apparently, in the US, more people believe in a flat earth than Nessie (10% vs. the 8% which was noted earlier).

https://carsey.unh.edu/publication/cons ... ic-beliefs

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 5:41 am

We all know that we really live on a flat disc, which rests on the backs of four elephants, who in turn stand on the shell of the giant space turtle, Great A’tuin.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 9:59 am

We haveImage the Ozark Howler.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 3:42 pm

We just had a convention of Bigfoot true believers here locally. A friend had attended, and came away feeling there was more faith than fact on display.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
We just had a convention of Bigfoot true believers here locally. A friend had attended, and came away feeling there was more faith than fact on display.

How far away do you live from the Bigfoot north American information centre in Oregon? On my bucket list of places to visit

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 4:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How far away do you live from the Bigfoot north American information centre in Oregon? On my bucket list of places to visit

I'm not sure where that's located in Oregon. I'm thinking it's not very close.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 5:28 pm

Underwater portal to another dimension.

:lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 5:42 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

Underwater portal to another dimension.

:lol:

You do realise this type of research is being funded
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... -92901090/

I imagine once upon a time there were scholars who rebuked and ridiculed astronomers who dared claim the sun didn't orbit around the earth.