Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you ridicule other's beliefs if their different from yours?
No 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Yes 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Only if they conflict with my interests 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No one should ever be ridiculed 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 23

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 5:22 pm

Question: what are your religious beliefs?

I ask that people only answer if they want to, but DON'T harangue and harass people who are different. I'm tired of people calling my beliefs stupid and don't want that for anyone. So please, only make one post: about yourself.

I am a fundamentalist Bible believing Christian, young earth creationist, and a supporter of the Constitution party and NOT the Republican party. I do not separate my religious beliefs from any other, but weave them together attempting to be consistent in all aspects of my life.

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 5:37 pm

Kind of a touchy subject. There's a diverse crowd here.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 5:54 pm

I am a Lutheran, but I have lied and said I was an atheist so I could meet fellow liberal South Park fans.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 20 Aug 2007, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:00 pm

Strongly disagreeing with someone isnt the same as ridicule. If theres conflict be tween me and another person I may say something nasty, only if they deserve it though. And to say there is never a time when someone should be ridiculed is foolish, ridicule can be a useful tool when applied in an arguement when the time is right.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:04 pm

username88 wrote:
Strongly disagreeing with someone isnt the same as ridicule. If theres conflict be tween me and another person I may say something nasty, only if they deserve it though. And to say there is never a time when someone should be ridiculed is foolish, ridicule can be a useful tool when applied in an arguement when the time is right.

It's a useful tool for manipulation by bullies. There's a major difference between a person and a idea. It doesn't win any argument, it just drives reasonable people away.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:05 pm

If someone has ridiculous beliefs then I have no need to ridicule them!

Although I do find some fundamentalist beliefs offensive and dangerous.

Last edited by iceb on 20 Aug 2007, 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:10 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
username88 wrote:

It's a useful tool for manipulation by bullies. There's a major difference between a person and a idea. It doesn't win any argument, it just drives reasonable people away.

No, thats not what I was getting at. Ill put it this way. When I hear something rediculous, I usually find it hard to hold back on expressing myself. Since I feel strongly about it, I just want to make sure the other person realizes that Im serious about it. If the other person wants to keep arguing with me, Ill just make light of the moment and make a joke about it, which is usually in the form of a ridiculing statement, which should give them the hint that Im done arguing.

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:11 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Question: what are your religious beliefs?

I ask that people only answer if they want to, but DON'T harangue and harass people who are different. I'm tired of people calling my beliefs stupid and don't want that for anyone. So please, only make one post: about yourself.

I am a fundamentalist Bible believing Christian, young earth creationist, and a supporter of the Constitution party and NOT the Republican party. I do not separate my religious beliefs from any other, but weave them together attempting to be consistent in all aspects of my life.

That's one thing I would never say to someone. Every person has the right to their beliefs. Whether they are christian, jewish, moslem, buddhist, taoist, hindu, pagan, agnostic or atheist. As for me, I'm wiccan. And no, I don't fly by broomstick. . .except on Halloween. And don't have a cat black or otherwise (allergic).

Last edited by whiteskunk on 20 Aug 2007, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:12 pm

As for me, I'm a "New Testament" Christian. I don't mock other people's beliefs... but I don't suffer fools, as everyone has obviously seen.

My politics aren't part of my religion, but since you mentioned yours, I'm an "old-school" Republican (not "neo-con") with libertarian leanings. Meaning I believe in the preserving of American traditions, promotion of individual freedoms, lesser government. I suppose you could say I agree with the Constitutional party... but I vote Republican, since I know it's pretty much impossible for a Constitutionalist or Libertarian to actually get elected. I could never vote Democratic, as their party platform is diametrically opposed to many central tenets of my faith. (I have far more in common with the Democrats of Kennedy's day than the Dems of today.)

18:33. Press 'Return'

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:19 pm

Agnostic...
I was raised catholic but for well one reason I stopped being one
At this time in my life I don't worship anything, though there very well could be a God I have no idea-its not for me to decide

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Aug 2007, 6:52 pm

i defintly think jesus is god, but im not a christian

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 6:52 pm

I'm agnostic, but I would never ridicule anyone for their beliefs, no matter how strange they might seem to me.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 7:41 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
As for me, I'm a "New Testament" Christian. I don't mock other people's beliefs... but I don't suffer fools, as everyone has obviously seen.

we are still waiting for your documentation to back up your mocking comments on Michael Moore's "SiCKO"
Johnny. . .

or are we just suffering fools waiting for it?

Merle

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 7:47 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
JonnyBGoode wrote:

we are still waiting for your documentation to back up your mocking comments on Michael Moore's "SiCKO"
Johnny. . .

or are we just suffering fools waiting for it?

Merle

He's probably LDS/Mormon.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 10:23 pm

:roll:

I respect everyone to have their own beliefs and to live their lives their way. However, when one person's religion is offensive and completely contradictory to mine, there comes a time when I can't take it anymore. If someone wears their religion on their sleeve, and others are offended by it, what is so surprising about people finally just saying cool it and take it elsewhere. I have no sympathy for someone who puts themselves in this situation and then has the audacity and arrogance to continue to flaunt it. I do not engage in such discussions because there is nothing to discuss. Nothing can be said to ever influence my beliefs, just like I could never say anything to alter the beliefs of the other person. I feel I have quite a few people on Wrong Planet that have differing religious beliefs and we get along just fine. But neither they or I flaunt those differences and are confrontational about them. Unfortunately, some people on Wrong Planet just don't get it and are too immature to see that what they are doing is just plain offensive and disrespectful.

Wrong Planet has a Religion and Politics Forum for these kinds of debates. The other forums are really not the place. When I come onto Wrong Planet, I have no desire whatsoever to be confronted by ridiculous religious ideals and have it thrown in my face like I feel it has been recently. My patience has worn thin. I thought I was being nice by suggesting the discussion be moved elsewhere. Obviously, some people are incapable of respecting the beliefs of others and are nothing but giant hypocrites. Of course, that was one of the big things that turned me off to certain religions at a very young age, so I am not surprised.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2007, 10:27 pm

I cannot call what you have "beliefs". One believes in something that is provable. God is not provable.

I cannot be accused of mocking someone for their religion when they spit in the face of science. I am illuminating their ignorance for them.