Hate crimes against Sikhs, as manifestation of Islamophobia

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 3:52 pm

Unfortunately, the Israel-Gaza war is likely to inspire quite a few hate crimes in other parts of the world. The victims of these hate crimes will likely include not only Jews and Muslims, but also Arabs of whatever religion or religious heritage, including Christians, and also various religious minorities including even some with no connection at all to Israel/Palestine.

Here in the U.S.A. at least, one of the other religious minorities that gets targeted during waves of Islamophobia is Sikhs. Why? Because male Sikhs wear turbans, and hence are assumed by ignorant outsiders to be Islamist terrorists, because Osama bin Laden wore a turban.

Within the past several days, right here in Queens, there have been at least two recent assaults against Sikhs.

One was a fatal road rage incident on the Van Wyck Expressway: See Family of slain Queens man wants suspect to face hate crime charges by Naveen Dhaliwal, CBS News, October 22, 2023.

Another incident occurred on a bus near here: A 19-year-old Sikh was punched by a man who tried to remove his turban while saying, “We don’t wear that in this country,” according to 'We don't wear that in this country': Man punches Sikh teen in turban on NYC bus in suspected hate crime by Marlene Lenthang, NBC News, Oct. 17, 2023. "The victim was punched in the back of his head, his face and his back multiple times on a bus in Queens on Sunday morning, police said."

I'll use this thread to post links to any other news stories I come across having to do with recent hate crimes against Sikhs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 5:38 pm

I am worried for my Sikh neighbors.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 10:09 am

Racists be dumb.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 10:54 am

Dox47 wrote:
Racists be dumb.

Indeed, some racists don't know the difference between swastikas and sauwastikas

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-18416970

I only searched for this story as I thought it happened to a Sikh family but misremembered.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 11:51 am

Aaah, yes.. there are still many backwards backwoods places in the world where it's still majority white colonial settlers and there isn't really all that much live and let live multicultural coexisting yet.. resulting in weirdo racists & xenophobes.

Meanwhile, the suburb city where I live has more than 100k Sikhs from Punjab. Plus others from all over the world. There's some kind of church down the street, across the avenue is a sikh temple, and then on the other side of the street is a mosque. People just do their thing, whatever. In many parts of this city Punjabi Sikhs are the majority, by far, and it's others who are other-looking.. so I'd say they certainly don't get "othered," and discriminated against here quite like they may have decades ago.

I've posted about it before, but if you google map "No.5 Road," starting from "Steveston Highway," in Richmond BC and check out the street view you'll see that there are churches and temples up and down the road for miles that represent pretty much every major religion on the planet. I've never ever heard of any threats or conflicts - just different people going to different buildings to pray in different ways in different languages. Pretty simple concept - but apparently it's rather difficult for most of the world, and believed to be impossible by some.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 11:57 am

What do you expect after we've seen how Chinese people were treated during the Covid pandemic and Muslims after 9/11? Humans love having an excuse to be racist, and when a person is bad (most people), they will always find an excuse to make it justifiable.