21 Aug 2007, 7:39 am

has anyone seen snow cake ?
a story about an autistic woman.

nouvellevogue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2007, 6:10 am

has no one heard of this great movie .
its with alan rickman and sigourney weaver.

I sugest you all go see it.
anway alan rickman is hot.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 6:24 am

Another member I know doesn't think much of it, thinks that Sigourney Weaver was misdirected in the way she acted like an autistic.

On sabbatical...

nouvellevogue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2007, 10:11 am

i don't know enough about autisme to say she was misdirected
all i can say is that i thought it was a good comedy/drama

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm

I just saw it. I loved it and feel that Sigourney Weaver was very realistic. Very hopeful movie.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2007, 9:17 am

I think it's a great movie.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2007, 10:53 am

i think its a great title :)

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 1:33 pm

My wife and I watched it Sunday night.

It was a very good movie. It was one of those movies that I was not conscience of time passing while I watched it. A rare occurrence for me, especially if there are not any battles or explosions.

From what I read about the movie, the screenplay was written by a person that has an autistic son and Weaver spent months meeting people with autism and studying them.

Here is a link that talks about the movie and has an interview with Weaver.

http://prerainmanautism.blogspot.com/20 ... -cake.html

loske
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2007, 5:43 pm

I also loved it. I can't work out if it was overacted etc, like some people have commented- but I did find myself and partner giggling knowingly at many of the moments. Especially when she's lining up the shoes :)

Something about the movie really made me feel better about my life,I think it was the something to do with feeling proud of her life, which inmany ways was very rich.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 8:52 pm

I thought it was pretty good, but yeah I think Sigourney Weaver did overact a bit.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 9:34 pm

I think the movie was not about autism, it just happened to have an autistic character on it and Weaver's representation wasnt meant to be accurate, she was there to teach Rickman's character a lesson about life.

MysticSong

28 Nov 2007, 10:29 pm

I saw this movie for the first time in early October after receiving the DVD for my birthday. Minus the Alien films I'll watch nearly anything Sigourney does (or Alan for that matter). This one is really one of my favourites though for both of them. The soundtrack too is just.. perfect. A friend really wanted it but it's not released anywhere that I am aware of so I made CD, complete with lyrics guide and everything, for her. I listen to it constantly in my car and can visualize every scene each song goes with as I listen. Despite what happens with Vivian there is definitely a feel-good quality to this film. I could watch it over and over again as time permits.

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2007, 3:51 am

My mom bought this film and both her and myself thought that Weaver's performance was brilliant, but also that she seemed to have more autistic traits as well as possible co-morbidity of OCD.

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

13 May 2008, 3:16 am

I just saw this today and I thought it was good. The lady didn't show much autistic traits except I thought she looked more OCD because of the fact she didn't want Alex in her kitchen or anyone else. She couldn't touch the trash, wouldn't hug or allow people to touch her except for her parents and daughter. She did have Alex hug her tightly eventually but not touch her with his hands. She was even obsessed about cleaning and wanted everything neat.

I also thought she acted weird too like making these funny sounds but no wonder kids saw me as weird? I can remember my ex saying I get all giddy but I can't remember if he said I make funny sounds or not when excited. I think he should see this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if he compared me to her and saw me as her because she also acted immature too. But I'm not even like her at all. I may have used to have OCD like her, fear of shoes on the floor, fear of messes, hated things being out of place and I always cleaned and I loved trampolines as a little kid. Then my interest changed.

But when she tells Alex he is selfish and he tells her she is unreasonable, she yells "I'm autistic." That bothered me because it sounded like she was using it as an excuse for her to act that way. I hope that's not what she was doing, if so then shame on her.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 6:13 am

Spokane_Girl,

The things you listed at the start can all be a part of ASDs; cleaning, neatness; not allowing others to touch things [as they may disrupt them] is all under repetitive behaviours (rituals and routines). It's OCD if she didn't allow him to touch something for she thought something bad would happen if he did (a specific outcome), whereas in ASDs, people just feel uncomfortable for no reason if their routine is broken (other than the routine being broken that is).

The rituals and repetitive behaviours can look like obsessions and compulsions, but the mechanism behind such is different.

13 May 2008, 3:49 pm

And OCD is part of autism and AS because it's very common in us.