Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2007, 8:29 pm

Not sure how to do the link thing, so just copy and paste into your browser.

http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Features/W ... gerus.html

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 10:34 pm

Yes, and it took long enough to produce the tools that let me be me.

In many ways I only started living about five years ago, before that I existed in a world that rejected me.

Now I sell books on the web, no people problems. Ordinary people were the problem.

Our problem was the isolation imposed by normals, now we have WP.

It is starting to grow off of WP, new projects of minds linking, and normals are out of the game.

It will take a few years, some self worth issues to overcome, but we are great.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 11:25 pm

Nice to read something so positive :)

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 7:30 am

Inventor wrote:
Yes, and it took long enough to produce the tools that let me be me.

In many ways I only started living about five years ago, before that I existed in a world that rejected me.

Now I sell books on the web, no people problems. Ordinary people were the problem.

Our problem was the isolation imposed by normals, now we have WP.

It is starting to grow off of WP, new projects of minds linking, and normals are out of the game.

It will take a few years, some self worth issues to overcome, but we are great.

"normals"? They never imposed isolation on me, I mean, in my case maybe it was my choice to be alone but I've been practicing people skills and getting better at it. At a skim this seems to talk about a lot of sci-fi and I just couldn't find myself reading it all out of lack of interest.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2007, 7:55 am

I've long since given up trying to adapt to the NT social environment. The only way to survive, and thrive, is to learn to change your immediate environment to suit one's own needs. The current age of technology has just given us more tools to control our little piece of the world.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 8:31 am

i've had the idea for quite some time that aspergers might just be the next phase of human evolution... nice to see I'm not alone in that...

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 9:08 am

Why would it be part of human evolution? I don't get it x: humans are social creatures, that's how they survive naturally in groups, yes? So being antisocial would defeat that. Then again I think humans stopped evolving because instead of changing to adapt to the world we are changing the world to adapt to us. We are far from a natural being x:

michel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 9:18 am

That was a great article. Very insightful.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 10:20 am

Interesting, but a tad too self-serving, I think. He's right about many things, of course, but we're only in a brief period where our interactions are mostly by text and the like on the internet. Second Life is a great example of this - the moves are towards making the internet more like real life, and as we move further in that direction, those who don't do well with social contact are going to start finding themselves marginalised online. I also take issue with the broad brush with which he paints those with AS. I'm constantly connected - mostly by text, admittedly, and not voice, but still, I crave human contact, and so do many others with AS. It's just that I like it to be on my own terms.
Some exceptional individuals with AS have always made a big impact, it looks like it's always been so. But they're the exception, and I don't think that's likely to change. If there's a big increase in telecommuting, then it may become easier for those with AS to get and hold jobs, but I'm far from certain that we'll suddenly become the leaders in society. I have to say that I also hate the way that he wants to draw such a firm distinction between those with AS and those without. We're not a different species, that's the point. We're just people who see the world slightly differently.

OK, have at me with the flames.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2007, 10:40 am

MarieElana wrote:
Why would it be part of human evolution? I don't get it x: humans are social creatures, that's how they survive naturally in groups, yes? So being antisocial would defeat that. Then again I think humans stopped evolving because instead of changing to adapt to the world we are changing the world to adapt to us. We are far from a natural being x:

The choices we make to change the world are not wholly determined by us because we cannot predict the outcome of a infinite series of events; I would say humanity is making blind choices and living the consequences and these consequences ultimately have a shaping force on our being and allow us to evolve. Our evolution is in the mind.

Futurama91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2007, 11:38 am

That was really interesting.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 3:42 pm

So I read through and this bit bothered me:

Quote:
Perhaps, a desire to constantly see and talk with other people will increasingly be viewed as a harmful atavism, as more and more people exhibit the traits of Asperger's Syndrome and benefit from voluntarily isolating themselves most of the time. Perhaps, as advanced forms of artificial intelligence become significant participants in the human community, people who long for human contact will be disadvantaged while people with Asperger's Syndrome — who traditionally preferred the company of machines to the company of people anyway — will get along just fine.

I guess a part of me would like to think that there is no harm in socializing, I mean, just because people with AS are socially awkward doesn't mean that an ideal life would be one in isolation. It's a healthy and happy thing to be social~

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2007, 4:29 pm

MarieElana, are you sure you have Asperger's? It doesn't seem like that to me, if you think socializing is such a great thing and we're all disadvantaged. Maybe you're a double agent. Personally, I totally agree with the article.

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2007, 4:31 pm

Pretty good article.

It's said often that places like Silicon Valley are filled with people on the spectrum. It is also said that if you want to find people on the spectrum, one needs only to look in an engineering department--or science department. These people who know a lot about things are often on the spectrum. The kinds of skills that aspies exhibit seem to be the kind that are particularly in demand these days. It's not just the case of isolationism helping foster creative and original ideas; it may well also be their natural skills and inclinations that will make them useful in future environments.

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

Chuchulainn wrote:
MarieElana, are you sure you have Asperger's? It doesn't seem like that to me, if you think socializing is such a great thing and we're all disadvantaged. Maybe you're a double agent. Personally, I totally agree with the article.

Actually, I do but I also have the desire to overcome these flaws and learn good people skills c:

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2007, 5:34 pm

bobert wrote:
I've long since given up trying to adapt to the NT social environment. The only way to survive, and thrive, is to learn to change your immediate environment to suit one's own needs. The current age of technology has just given us more tools to control our little piece of the world.

It has been said that reasonable people adapt to their environment rather than trying to force the environemnt to adapt to them.

But by that reasoning, all progress is caused by unreasonable people.

There is no need for us to conform to the NT world. The NT world wasn't designed for us - let's just not live in it.