Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

Joined: 8 Apr 2020
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 113

28 Jan 2024, 4:54 pm

I was wondering is it just a normal Aspie issue to have private emotional meltdowns and crying easily, if something upsets you and past trauma? I was scaring myself because I have been having these episodes for 3 or 4 nights now. The trigger for me being uncomfortable around women at work, I try to communicate but feel '' paralyzed'' to a certain degree emotionally, and past experiences with women don't help, everyone else just ''flows'' naturally and have a good time with each other, but some of the women have to ask if I am ok or if anything is wrong. I always wondered if the Aspie brain is highly sensitive, and prone to being affected by the past, and its all catching up to me at 38



Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 5 Jan 2024
Gender: Male
Posts: 43
Location: Australia

28 Jan 2024, 9:07 pm

Perhaps it is, as we are generally very sensitive people, prone to being victimised easily. Also, what can be traumatic for us may not seem that big of a deal to normal people. again, probably because we can be just so sensitive.

I myself feel the same, but around men, also due to trauma. It's just all too much for my already fragile mind to handle. 

Regarding having crying meltdowns, I really think anyone can go through that, Aspie or not. Stuff either gets to you or it doesn't. 

I've had times when I would cry watching Grand Designs (Architect show on TV) I would get overwhelmed by watching other people achieve so much. 

So having experienced all this myself for probably decades. The best advice I can give is just go with the emotions, don't fight them or try to hold them down. When you're sad, cry. When you're happy, laugh. Sometimes you might not feel anything at all, and that's ok too.

It's all part of being a human.


_________________
Aspie Quiz: 177 of 200
100% probability of being atypical (autistic/neurodiverse)

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,231
Location: Outter Quadrant

29 Jan 2024, 12:02 am

Not like every aspie gets alotta choice ....all that extra neural wiring,That Autistic brains are suppose to have ...is bound to make some parts of the brain, perhaps alittle more responsive than others ??. 8O ..... :nerdy:


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,504
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

29 Jan 2024, 12:48 am

The brain differences can exist before trauma.

Trauma is an undesirable outcome that can cause other brain differences that isn't there before the trauma.

And both are not even up to the individual, especially initially.
Trauma's root cause can even be before conception and may came from several generations ago, and brain differences is a luck draw in genetics during conception which can change depending in the environment.


I'd say brain differences itself doesn't necessarily mean sensitivity.
Some may be lucky that theirs can be sensitive but are resilient and will take so much before dysregulation happens, let alone trauma wounds.
Others, not so...

Trauma, too, but in paradoxical ways; becoming more sensitive and reactive or becoming too sensitive that the mind's mechanism is to shutdown/dissociate/'be insensitive' -- both are dysregulation based reactions.
In turn, when it happens often enough, becomes a habit and that habit will influence the way your brain works.

Downside of neuroplasticity, perhaps. :|


Ever read about dandelions and orchids?
It's a study of genetics and environment.
The former is supposedly more adapted to the environment and the latter is supposedly more sensitive and needs more nurturing -- very prone to dysregulation.

Autistics seem to fall to the latter. Obviously in need of a different environment to thrive.
If not, well -- there's a high chance to have a slew of mental illnesses and metabolic diseases among those who are not lucky enough to have them.
And it can even start before birth.


Personally, I'm sensitive.
I'm aware of it since as a child and understand it's effects.
But I don't want anything to do with it -- because I cannot truly adapt to it. I know I'm safe -- but I don't want the need for safety, I want to be free.

Free from whatever similar with what you may have to deal.
In the most basic of sense, I don't mind the sensitivity as long as it's also free from dysregulation.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.


What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2024
Gender: Female
Posts: 105

29 Jan 2024, 3:18 am

Vander571 wrote:
Perhaps it is, as we are generally very sensitive people, prone to being victimised easily. Also, what can be traumatic for us may not seem that big of a deal to normal people. again, probably because we can be just so sensitive.

I myself feel the same, but around men, also due to trauma. It's just all too much for my already fragile mind to handle. 

Regarding having crying meltdowns, I really think anyone can go through that, Aspie or not. Stuff either gets to you or it doesn't. 

I've had times when I would cry watching Grand Designs (Architect show on TV) I would get overwhelmed by watching other people achieve so much. 

So having experienced all this myself for probably decades. The best advice I can give is just go with the emotions, don't fight them or try to hold them down. When you're sad, cry. When you're happy, laugh. Sometimes you might not feel anything at all, and that's ok too.

It's all part of being a human.

We?



carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,796

29 Jan 2024, 7:10 am

The title of the post is a little different to your general question:

1. ASD is associated with brain inflammation in many cases. Inflammation is a biological marker that something is wrong

2. Yes Aspies are influenced by the past trauma. Even when you think you have escaped it the trauma will come back again and again when you least expect


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,231
Location: Outter Quadrant

29 Jan 2024, 12:28 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The title of the post is a little different to your general question:

1. ASD is associated with brain inflammation in many cases. Inflammation is a biological marker that something is wrong

2. Yes Aspies are influenced by the past trauma. Even when you think you have escaped it the trauma will come back again and again when you least expect


Agrees with all the above , but am curious about , the wtitten statement about Brain Inflammation and autism.. :nerdy: ?
If not too much to ask could you ? maybe provide me with your ""info source"" on this , Would love to get a handle on any info about this .. Imagine having extra neural wiring development and adding extra inflammation on top of it could make things harder for a person to be using their brain?? Been getting treated for inflamnation on a ongoing basis .. Using my own experiences as reference, would love supporting information from any other source on this ??? 8O reference info if possible ...please?


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,796

29 Jan 2024, 2:46 pm

Jakki wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
The title of the post is a little different to your general question:

1. ASD is associated with brain inflammation in many cases. Inflammation is a biological marker that something is wrong

2. Yes Aspies are influenced by the past trauma. Even when you think you have escaped it the trauma will come back again and again when you least expect


Agrees with all the above , but am curious about , the wtitten statement about Brain Inflammation and autism.. :nerdy: ?
If not too much to ask could you ? maybe provide me with your ""info source"" on this , Would love to get a handle on any info about this .. Imagine having extra neural wiring development and adding extra inflammation on top of it could make things harder for a person to be using their brain?? Been getting treated for inflamnation on a ongoing basis .. Using my own experiences as reference, would love supporting information from any other source on this ??? 8O reference info if possible ...please?


There`s a lot out there:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6027314/

Quote:
In the recent years, studies increasingly indicate a strong inflammatory state associated with ASD


https://www.moleculeralabs.com/autism-c ... lammation/

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/me ... ysis_shows

This was a 2 min google search, there`s plenty of evidence out there

Also a quick guide to what inflamation is:-

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newslett ... flammation

So next time someone trys to convince you autism is a natural difference remember the link with brain inflammation and the basic definition of what than means

Quote:
Think of inflammation as the body's natural response to protect itself against harm.


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,231
Location: Outter Quadrant

29 Jan 2024, 4:12 pm

Thank you very very much .


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,504
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

29 Jan 2024, 9:09 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Jakki wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
The title of the post is a little different to your general question:

1. ASD is associated with brain inflammation in many cases. Inflammation is a biological marker that something is wrong

2. Yes Aspies are influenced by the past trauma. Even when you think you have escaped it the trauma will come back again and again when you least expect


Agrees with all the above , but am curious about , the wtitten statement about Brain Inflammation and autism.. :nerdy: ?
If not too much to ask could you ? maybe provide me with your ""info source"" on this , Would love to get a handle on any info about this .. Imagine having extra neural wiring development and adding extra inflammation on top of it could make things harder for a person to be using their brain?? Been getting treated for inflamnation on a ongoing basis .. Using my own experiences as reference, would love supporting information from any other source on this ??? 8O reference info if possible ...please?


There`s a lot out there:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6027314/

Quote:
In the recent years, studies increasingly indicate a strong inflammatory state associated with ASD


https://www.moleculeralabs.com/autism-c ... lammation/

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/me ... ysis_shows

This was a 2 min google search, there`s plenty of evidence out there

Also a quick guide to what inflamation is:-

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newslett ... flammation

So next time someone trys to convince you autism is a natural difference remember the link with brain inflammation and the basic definition of what than means

Quote:
Think of inflammation as the body's natural response to protect itself against harm.

This is how autism is mixed up with PANDAS and it's just as good as telling that autism is mostly connected in the gut and the allergies amongst ND population.

But why? :lol:
What's the trigger of inflammation outside of potential allergies (internal or external) and autoimmune response?

What's so different from those who have the same conditions -- even from childhood -- but do not manifest the same behaviors that will qualify them for autism or any other ND diagnosis?


Oh, yeah -- trauma can actually all do that too.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 113,547
Location: Stalag 13

29 Jan 2024, 9:32 pm

I think it's both in my case. Growing up knowing who I am on the inside (male) and being told otherwise can be traumatizing. It can be traumatizing being in love in college as an aspie with poor social skills just to be mentally and emotionally abused by that person in the end. It can also be traumatizing to get yelled at all the time for talking about your special interests by the person who gave birth to you. Being given the cold shoulder every time one of my favourite celebrities passes away doesn't feel good at all. I've also put myself through 5 grueling years of high school when the school I went to went from 8 to 12. You can't be different from your peers in high school....that's a no-no.

It's also the extra brain wiring as well. Having all that brain wiring can make me an emotionally sensitive person at times.


_________________
Who wants to adopt a Sweet Pea?


carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,796

30 Jan 2024, 2:11 am

Edna3362 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Jakki wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
The title of the post is a little different to your general question:

1. ASD is associated with brain inflammation in many cases. Inflammation is a biological marker that something is wrong

2. Yes Aspies are influenced by the past trauma. Even when you think you have escaped it the trauma will come back again and again when you least expect


Agrees with all the above , but am curious about , the wtitten statement about Brain Inflammation and autism.. :nerdy: ?
If not too much to ask could you ? maybe provide me with your ""info source"" on this , Would love to get a handle on any info about this .. Imagine having extra neural wiring development and adding extra inflammation on top of it could make things harder for a person to be using their brain?? Been getting treated for inflamnation on a ongoing basis .. Using my own experiences as reference, would love supporting information from any other source on this ??? 8O reference info if possible ...please?


There`s a lot out there:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6027314/

Quote:
In the recent years, studies increasingly indicate a strong inflammatory state associated with ASD


https://www.moleculeralabs.com/autism-c ... lammation/

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/me ... ysis_shows

This was a 2 min google search, there`s plenty of evidence out there

Also a quick guide to what inflamation is:-

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newslett ... flammation

So next time someone trys to convince you autism is a natural difference remember the link with brain inflammation and the basic definition of what than means

Quote:
Think of inflammation as the body's natural response to protect itself against harm.

This is how autism is mixed up with PANDAS and it's just as good as telling that autism is mostly connected in the gut and the allergies amongst ND population.

But why? :lol:
What's the trigger of inflammation outside of potential allergies (internal or external) and autoimmune response?

What's so different from those who have the same conditions -- even from childhood -- but do not manifest the same behaviors that will qualify them for autism or any other ND diagnosis?


Oh, yeah -- trauma can actually all do that too.


It’s the chicken and egg scenario maybe the inflammation causes the autism.

More likely as a result of the autism or unstable biological state of the brain

The body’s natural but unsuccessful attempts to help things like swelling up when on a bruised knee


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


skibum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,295
Location: my own little world

30 Jan 2024, 10:39 am

Aet1985 wrote:
I was wondering is it just a normal Aspie issue to have private emotional meltdowns and crying easily, if something upsets you and past trauma? I was scaring myself because I have been having these episodes for 3 or 4 nights now. The trigger for me being uncomfortable around women at work, I try to communicate but feel '' paralyzed'' to a certain degree emotionally, and past experiences with women don't help, everyone else just ''flows'' naturally and have a good time with each other, but some of the women have to ask if I am ok or if anything is wrong. I always wondered if the Aspie brain is highly sensitive, and prone to being affected by the past, and its all catching up to me at 38
I think that experience is common in Autistic people. I have similar experiences. As Autistic people, we tend to experience more trauma than non Autistic people. So I believe that it’s a combination of both.


_________________
"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."

Wreck It Ralph


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,231
Location: Outter Quadrant

30 Jan 2024, 2:41 pm

Just btw....incase its not obvious .. as you age..your body will become alittle less able to handle trauma, I think .
From brain swelling to cortisol levels in the blood, to bruised knees . :ninja: ..
But been trying hard to keep that sort of stuff under control ..Generally through supplement . :D


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 10 Feb 2024
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 70
Location: Switzerland

10 Feb 2024, 1:01 pm

Yes.

It does come back to hunt you , as a PTSD. I have seen it in myself and other people I have diagnosed (I am a psychologist). I believe it is that when something happens 1. we are very sensitive to it, 2. we cannot express the feeling when its happening, so it comes back again and again in doses, as it can be stored very well in the long term memory it pops out when its triggered.. We need more research on this though and how it's stored in the memory and replayed back and again.


_________________
"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone"
Blaise Pascal, Pensées (Thoughts)


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,231
Location: Outter Quadrant

10 Feb 2024, 1:57 pm

Iris.Ell wrote:
Yes.

It does come back to hunt you , as a PTSD. I have seen it in myself and other people I have diagnosed (I am a psychologist). I believe it is that when something happens 1. we are very sensitive to it, 2. we cannot express the feeling when its happening, so it comes back again and again in doses, as it can be stored very well in the long term memory it pops out when its triggered.. We need more research on this though and how it's stored in the memory and replayed back and again.


Welcome Iris.Ell to WP ...guess you have easily discerned , by your own experiences about PTSD very possibly affect
people with extra neural connections , might have a more intense experience of PTSD ?. (Given current research on extra neural fibers found in autopsied Autistic brains.)potentially having some relation on this topic . :nerdy:


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are