We are lacking a what are you reading now thread!

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 9:07 pm

Imajica by Clive Barker.
Its supposedly "deep" message is simply hateful and sexist and one of the main characters who is supposed to be admirable is a major b***h, yet Mr. Barker wants us to see this as a good thing.
I hate it, I think the moral of the story is crap, and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with it, but at the same time, Mr. Barker's prose and imaginative detail are keeping me turning the pages.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 9:26 pm

The Custom of the Country- Edith Wharton
Everyday Enlightenment- an honorable Buddhist nun
A Midsummer Night's Dream-for school

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

15 Jan 2008, 11:53 pm

Metallica So what
GPS for Land surveyors

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2008, 2:54 am

Litany of the Long Sun - Gene Wolfe
Kokoro - Natsume Soseki
The Bloody Crown of Conan - Robert E. Howard
Kiss of the Fur Queen - Tomson Highway

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:40 am

Sorry, Posted in the wrong thread.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm

I'm currently reading a book called Personality, which talks about why people are the way they are.

I'm also reading the current issue of the Reader's Digest.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2008, 9:01 pm

i just finished war of the gods by poul anderson. it was alright, it expanded my vocabulary a little more and one of the characters practices some necromancy with a drow(not the cheesy d&d drow elves, im talking "draugr", the norse version of a zombie/vampire. im getting ready to read the raven in the foregate by ellis peters tonight. feudal era mysteries solved by a monk woo hoo

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 12:06 am

The reason we lack a thread of that subject is that it’s impossible to read anything else while reading a web forum.

The thing I most recently read was a nutrition facts table on a bag of Que Pasa brand blue corn chips. Verdict: only 50mg of sodium. However, they’re not nearly as satisfying as blue corn chips by Garden of Eatin’, which happen to have just about the same abount of sodium.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:51 am

Oh I love Garden of Eatin' Red Hot Blues....and also their black bean chili chips..that I have not been able to finde fo a long time....

I am currently not really reading anything. In my purse you will find my highly-coveted vintage book of George Orwell essays. I was reading "in the Little World" Which is all about midgets....but I got off track when I left it in my parents car for a week....

I am too busy working on SHFL to read at the moment....oh yeah..I was causally re-reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm...I think that one is also still in my purse.

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2008, 8:02 pm

I'm soon finished with Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. I thought I would have a little trouble reading it because I'm reading it in english, because that's not my native language and so reading books in english can be a bit tedious, but it was okay to read.

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 8:31 pm

I just finished reading Anita Blake: Laughing corpse, i'm rereading Season of the Witch byt Christopher Knight, and I need to buy book 2 of kino's journey (still cringing from "the curator" man she was a cold)

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 8:40 pm

Yupa wrote:
Imajica by Clive Barker.
Its supposedly "deep" message is simply hateful and sexist and one of the main characters who is supposed to be admirable is a major b***h, yet Mr. Barker wants us to see this as a good thing.
I hate it, I think the moral of the story is crap, and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with it, but at the same time, Mr. Barker's prose and imaginative detail are keeping me turning the pages.

Yes, I found that very annoying too, the whole 'men are evil' theme, and the ending is just so conventional and predictable. But I liked some of the early bits and at the middle.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 8:55 pm

I'm reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime" it's interesting.