We are lacking a what are you reading now thread!

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 6:19 am

Don't say "a thread by ghotistix" or I'll thump ya.

Well I blazed through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in about eight hours on Sunday, but right now I'm rereading Stephen King's The Gunslinger (first book in the Dark Tower series). I've lost count of the number of times I've read it, but it always seems fresh. And if you ask me, King has never been so unrestrained with the English language before or since. After I finish, I'll probably move either to Dean Koontz's Watchers or perhaps King's The Eyes of the Dragon, one of the few of his I haven't read before. Too many books to read...

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 6:51 am

ghotistix wrote:

Well what else would I be reading?! I can't read more than one thing at once!

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 6:55 am

I like The Gunslinger. 8)

Not reading anything at the moment strangely - I can't be arsed reading properly for some reason. However when I'm back to it my next one will be Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, followed by Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm also half way through 'Free as in Freedom' a biography of Richard Stallman, but haven't read any further for a few weeks. :?

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 7:30 am

my own sodding thesis (aaaargh!); "Kinds of Minds: Towards an Understanding of Consciousness", daniel dennett; just finished a popular chick-lit book (my brain needs a rest); about to go to library and choose several other popular rubbishy books (my brain will continue to need a rest until thesis is finished for good); about to embark on iain sinclair's "downriver" again (goddess help me) and then gribbin's "in search of schroedinger's cat" again (cos i've recently finished "in search of the edge of time", and cannot believe i ever found him readable - he leaps about all over the place) to see if it was better.

music and bloody books. why oh why oh why do you lot pick my obsessions and then expect me to write short posts?

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 8:04 am

"An anthropologist on Mars" by Oliver Sacks.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 8:31 am

I just finished Harry Potter and the HBP as well. Currently I am reading "My Sister's keeper" by Jodi Picoult, Black like Me, The guide to everyday life in the 1800's and a new translation of the bible which I am enjoying very much, Holman Christian Standard.
I like books...hooray!!

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 8:33 am

Oh, Vetivert..have you ever been to the ABE book forum? I think you would enjoy it, lots of book crazy people there...and you'd love Wotan(the forum's resident "dirty old man")

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 9:45 am

ghotistix wrote:

Well I blazed through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in about eight hours on Sunday, but right now I'm rereading Stephen King's The Gunslinger (first book in the Dark Tower series). I've lost count of the number of times I've read it, but it always seems fresh. And if you ask me, King has never been so unrestrained with the English language before or since. After I finish, I'll probably move either to Dean Koontz's Watchers or perhaps King's The Eyes of the Dragon, one of the few of his I haven't read before. Too many books to read...

Yes! Another King reader! I'm almost exactly halfway through the last DT book, but I'm taing forever readin it, spending maybe 1/2 hour each night reading it if that. I need to apply myself more, because it's thouroughly entertaining- if a bit cringeworthy. I won't spoil it for anyone except to say Stephen King is the only writer who could get away with what he does in this book. ;)

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2005, 12:10 pm

I just finished 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'. It was excellent and had an ending that left me hanging.
Today I'm trying to start on the second book in C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy. I don't like way she begins her books, but I do like the stories and concepts themselves. A lot of the characters in the first book were really flat and the setting was obviously made up as the author went along, but it sure was interesting. So I'm definitely going to finish the second book.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 1:19 am

I just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince too. I am currently going through the book meticulously and making notes for a formal discussion on Harry Potter my friends and I are having on Thursday. Last night I read a bit of Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne.

All I really want to read is the seventh Harry Potter book.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 1:31 am

Mockingbird wrote:
Oh, Vetivert..have you ever been to the ABE book forum? I think you would enjoy it, lots of book crazy people there...and you'd love Wotan(the forum's resident "dirty old man")

/me goes pale...

you mean i'd have to talk to even MORE people, than just on here? eek!

ta for the suggestion, mockingbird, and of thinking of me and Wotan in the same breath (as it were) ;) i might just have to wander on there, just to wind him up... :)

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2005, 4:26 am

wow you lot read loads of fiction don't you?

funnily enough I've just read two novels - a Robert B.Parker one as I used to be really into detective fiction and I was passing through an airport recently so I picked that up; also read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' (which I bought at the same airport on the way home), which was pretty good

but generally I don't read fiction as it feels like a waste of time

I've nearly finished a book called 'Men In Black Dresses' by an Australian academic who goes looking for wisdom in Egypt, Syria and Turkey. It's really good - at the moment she's at a monastery in Sinai having just come down from Mount Moses, where the 10 Commandments were delivered. She basically goes around talking to sufis, coptic christians, Greek orthodox archbishops etc about their views on life etc (each to their own eh?)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 1:30 pm

Titanic and her sister's Olympic and Brittanic by Tom McCluskie, Micheal Sharpe and Leo Marriott.

Discovery Of The Titanic by Robert Ballard.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 1:55 pm

vetivert wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:

/me goes pale...

you mean i'd have to talk to even MORE people, than just on here? eek!

ta for the suggestion, mockingbird, and of thinking of me and Wotan in the same breath (as it were) ;) i might just have to wander on there, just to wind him up... :)

Winding him up is quite fun! and easy as well :P

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 3:03 pm

ugh. I can't remember what I am reading now. I think it is some kind of christian history of the church. Its quite good but I can't consistantly read it.

Also Truman by McCullogh.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 6:18 pm

A thread by ghotistix.