Netflix’s new Avatar the last airbender makes no sense

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 32,908
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

29 Feb 2024, 4:27 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/YRUsAS-nWzk? ... 1xRC_LNQcB

^ Reflects my thoughts well.

Sokka’s sexism (in cartoon he was like dismissive with his sister, « but you are a girl » sort of things..) was a lesson and a realistic one; he was raised in a primitive tribe.

Then in one episode he got beaten by a female warrior from another civilization and asked for her forgiveness for being rudely sexist with her previously; and begged her to become his mentor; that was Sokka’s point of transformation.

Netflix ruined that, very badly.

And the whole Avatar’s being serious all the time defeats the entire point of his character development.



Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,792
Location: England

29 Feb 2024, 6:50 pm

From what I've seen of this, I don't want to watch it. I think that some concepts work better animated and it's odd that people keep trying to make a live action Avatar work.

Outlandish stories tend to work better as animations with exaggerated expressions and comedy.

The reason they made the Avatar weirdly serious (even though the entire point was that he just wanted to be a kid) was because they wanted to appeal to fans who liked 'Game of Thrones' despite Avatar and Game of Thrones having about as much in common as coal and ice cream.

I agree with your point about Sokka. It's entertaining to watch him be humbled and it makes a lot of sense! Sexism in both parts of the water tribe is a big theme and it impacts Katara as well. If you're going to take out two major arcs of the story, why even bother? Not everything has to be serious high fantasy.


_________________
Support human artists! Do not let the craft die.

Almost 25. Near the spectrum but not on it.


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 32,908
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

02 Mar 2024, 5:39 am

It gets better, it is not that bad.



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,548
Location: Dorset

02 Mar 2024, 7:01 am

I've watched a few episodes now and i thought it was quite good but I've never properly watched the animated one. My daughter watches the animation over and over so it's often on in the background in our house. She hates this new live action version for much the same reasons as stated above, mainly because Aang is too serious.

She's only 10 though, i think this series is pitched at an older audience than the original animation.


_________________
Error establishing a database connection...


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

02 Mar 2024, 7:28 am

I've watched season 1. It does follow the classic animated series much more authentically than the infamous flop of a movie created by M Night Shymalan.

My big problem is it lacks some of the magic of the animated series. The boy who plays Ang is very cute and almost as on point as the animated Ang. but for some reason I can't quite connect to Sokka or Kitara. In the animated series Kitara was warm and a comforting protection for Ang. Sokka was funny and had character (despite being 2D). But for some reason the assortment of east Asian/Eurasian actors they hired seem to lack that something, I don't know what it is.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

10 Mar 2024, 1:51 am

Appears the series has been given the green light from Netflix for season 2 and 3. A big problem with 8 episode series is quite clearly they have to shoe horn content and/or cut content from the animated series. The original animated series still kicks ass for me.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

10 Mar 2024, 1:54 am

DuckHairback wrote:
mainly because Aang is too serious.


The boy they cast as Ang in the live action has quite sweet disposition especially when he smiles, but the animated Ang can be drawn to smile from ear to ear showing of his pearly smile, The animated Ang comes across as like I imagine a young Dalai Llama must have been like. Happy but wise.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

10 Mar 2024, 1:55 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Outlandish stories tend to work better as animations with exaggerated expressions and comedy.


Animation gives much more creative license, like a blank slate/easel.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

10 Mar 2024, 1:57 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
.
I agree with your point about Sokka. It's entertaining to watch him be humbled and it makes a lot of sense! Sexism in both parts of the water tribe is a big theme and it impacts Katara as well. If you're going to take out two major arcs of the story, why even bother? Not everything has to be serious high fantasy.


Yes of course, without spoilers, the northern water tribe have some antiquated views on women.



Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Aug 2022
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 794
Location: Mushroom Kingdom or Bikini Bottom

10 Mar 2024, 4:07 pm

Haven't watched it yet but I haven't watched any of Nickelodeon's Netflix content like Pinky Malinky, Glitch Techs, Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling and Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus

I will probably watch all of that when the SpongeBob SquarePants spin-off stand-alone Sandy Cheeks movie Saving Bikini Bottom comes out!


_________________
"You have never experienced true love but that doesn't mean you won't EVER find it!" -SpongeBob SquarePants


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 32,908
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

01 Apr 2024, 4:46 am

OMG ^^^ I agree 100% with Cindy
Jeesus! it's like she was reading my mind



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 32,908
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

01 Apr 2024, 4:56 am

:lol:

The irony


Quote:
@jakeryan2805
6 days ago (edited)
Its been stated before in their quest to remove "sexism" they made the show ACTUALLY sexist by basically having every girl throw themselves at Sokka, and have Aang be the reason Katara can suddenly waterbend?! ! God the writing is so bad. Portraying a sexist culture, and having Sokka, and Katara overcome it to become better is not the same thing as condoning actual sexism. Instead they removed all of the great moments, and character development from the cartoon. The dispute between OG Katara and Pakku was great!, OG Suki beating Sokka, and him humbling himself to learn from her was great. All that thrown out. for crap writing.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,300

01 Apr 2024, 5:35 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
:lol:

The irony


Quote:
@jakeryan2805
6 days ago (edited)
Its been stated before in their quest to remove "sexism" they made the show ACTUALLY sexist by basically having every girl throw themselves at Sokka, and have Aang be the reason Katara can suddenly waterbend?! ! God the writing is so bad. Portraying a sexist culture, and having Sokka, and Katara overcome it to become better is not the same thing as condoning actual sexism. Instead they removed all of the great moments, and character development from the cartoon. The dispute between OG Katara and Pakku was great!, OG Suki beating Sokka, and him humbling himself to learn from her was great. All that thrown out. for crap writing.


Oops...yes medieval east Asia wasn't exactly a feminist paradise. I'm surprised Katara didn't have her feet bound when she was learning water bending.



Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,792
Location: England

02 Apr 2024, 5:53 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
:
Quote:
@jakeryan2805
And have Aang be the reason Katara can suddenly waterbend?!


Wait, back it up. What? Aang teaches Katara in this version?


_________________
Support human artists! Do not let the craft die.

Almost 25. Near the spectrum but not on it.


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 32,908
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

03 Apr 2024, 6:00 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
:
Quote:
@jakeryan2805
And have Aang be the reason Katara can suddenly waterbend?!


Wait, back it up. What? Aang teaches Katara in this version?


Yes, by a short mansplaining speech. :lol: