Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2007, 2:10 am

I was wondering,how many people with AS are also color blinded?

Since I'm both,I was also wondering is there a correlation between 'color blindness' and 'social blindness' that occurs in AS...

P.S

Since this is my first post in here,I also want to say hi to all other members! :D

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 2:22 am

Not me, I see the colors well enough.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 5:48 am

At least in the US, people are normally TESTED for color blindness. If there was a connection, it WOULD be listed in the DSM. There is NO such connection.

BTW I'm not color blind either. In fact, anyone interested in electronics at the level of an AS interest should NOT be color blind, electronics has a color code for some things that is used for almost all resistors, etc...

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2007, 6:15 am

I thought my house that i grew up in was green, everyone who sees it says its blue. I wonder if that counts, i dont think i have ever been tested, and im from CNY.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2007, 6:35 am

I have partial red/green and blue/purple color blindness. Some shades can be seen, some shades cannot.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 6:48 am

woodsman25 wrote:
I thought my house that i grew up in was green, everyone who sees it says its blue. I wonder if that counts, i dont think i have ever been tested, and im from CNY.

You NEVER looked at that picture full of dots?

Anyway, I tried to find a test online, and FINALLY found one. Here it is:

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20 ... ion%20card

BTW I passed, though I found a couple things hard that I never did before, though I STILL saw it quickly, the test itself indicated it should be hard.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 7:39 am

I don't suffer from color blindness. When I was 8, I and other children from my class were tested by a school nurse who showed us cards on which there were numbers and we had to tell what digits there were on particular cards.

ChelseaOcean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2007, 8:11 am

My (AS) husband is not color-blind.

However, I believe AS runs in my father's family (some of my cousins from my generation are diagnosed, but none of my aunts/uncles as far as I know). My aunts/uncles have a reputation for "not playing well with others" although my mother attributes it to the fact that there's 9 of them so "they never had to learn to socialize with outsiders" but they certainly all show a lot of AS traits. Anyway my dad is color-blind and so are two of his three brothers and so was his father.

Woodsman25, my husband also has the same thing where he thinks things are green when everyone else thinks they're blue. Particularly if they're light blue and/or have a hint of green. But he's not color-blind, he can distinguish all 3 colors (red/blue/green) from gray; it's just that the line between blue/green isn't in the same place for him as it is for most people.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:36 am

woodsman25 wrote:

Woodsman25,
I have read your posts often, however I have never seen an explanation for CNY. Where is CNY? I am not familiar with those initials.

Merle

Bodorus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2007, 8:55 am

AS and colorblindless here

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2007, 8:55 am

I am red/green (very common among men) and blue/purple color blind. It is so hard to describe what my color blindness is like. I can look at a red object and a green object among other different colored objects and correctly point out which is the red and which is the green object. However when a red object is in a field of green the red tends to disappear. I am not sure if it works the same in reverse as there are not too many red fields to come across in everyday life. So if I go out to the garden to pick ripe tomatoes I can't find any unless I root through the plant and move the tomato out of the green background. I am able to see plenty of unripe tomatoes just looking at a plant though. Picking out the red Christmas ornaments out of the tree is a pretty futile effort for me. I also can't spot clumps of red flowers unless the clump is large enough to make it pretty distinct from the surrounding foliage.

I have a generally hard time distinguishing between shades of color like for sorting different color threads and have the same issue as ChelseaOcean's husband where something that most say is blue often looks green to me.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:13 am

sinsboldly wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

Woodsman25,
I have read your posts often, however I have never seen an explanation for CNY. Where is CNY? I am not familiar with those initials.

Merle

I assumed CNY stood for Central New York state, but I don't know. It'll be interesting to find out for sure.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2007, 10:15 am

Both my son and my father have color blindness. Both, I believe, also have AS.

Color blindness occurs when certain cells in the retina that normally respond to color do not respond as they should.

Usually, people with a color deficiency are born with it, and the problem affects more men than it does women. Color blindness is caused by a common X-linked recessive gene. This means that, if you're color-blind, your mother must either be color-blind, or have normal vision but carry the color-deficient gene. Color-blind fathers pass the gene to their daughters only, who will have normal color vision unless their mother also carries the color-deficient gene.

A psychiatrist who was treating me for panic disorder asked if there was any color blindness in my family? She said the same gene that causes panic disorder also causes color blindness. This was about 15 years ago.

http://www.hhmi.org/senses/b130.html

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 7:54 pm

I think I can see colors correctly. . that is, I can see the color spectrum, but I find if I am looking in a mirror, I can't determine what actual color my hair is. Or if my makeup is too bright, or too light. maybe it is the light.
different colors look different in different light.

In Anthropology we learned that women needed color definition to find fruits and vegetables, etc, and to be able to tell what was ripe, what was green and such. Men, on the other hand, must not be distracted by color when black and white shows movement in the bushes and leaves and trees much easier ( my sexist proff told us women were more attractive to men when they wore high heels because they had a gait like a wounded animal and the hunter in the men pricked right up with the sight of an animal in the herd they could more easily bring down. well, that statement didn't make him a sexist. . he just was)

Merle

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:59 pm

My right eye sees a warm cast to objects,with lessened detail, and my left eye sees a cool, greenish cast to things, with more detail.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2007, 1:05 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

You NEVER looked at that picture full of dots?

Anyway, I tried to find a test online, and FINALLY found one. Here it is:

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20 ... ion%20card

BTW I passed, though I found a couple things hard that I never did before, though I STILL saw it quickly, the test itself indicated it should be hard.

ohh ya forgot about that, i never knew that was a color blindness test, thinking back, i guess since he said nothing im fine, heh.