Are her parents right about chemotherapy?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:28 pm

My female friend is terrified of getting cancer one day because she fears that chemotherapy will cause bad hair loss. Her hair is very important to her. She has discussed this with her parents and they said to her “Well would you rather have chemotherapy or die?” And “chemotherapy saves lives”

Do you think her parents are not considering the devastating impact losing your hair can have on cancer patients when on chemotherapy and it now it effects self esteem/body image.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:31 pm

When a person is facing a life threatening illness, and there is a treatment available that might reduce a persons chance of dying from said illness, I think losing one's hair is an acceptable side effect. Sometimes the hair loss from chemotherapy is reversible.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:33 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
When a person is facing a life threatening illness, and there is a treatment available that might reduce a persons chance of dying from said illness, I think losing one's hair is an acceptable side effect. Sometimes the hair loss from chemotherapy is reversible.



Sometimes means not always though

I can understand though where my friend is coming from because hair to a woman is there ’ :heart:



Last edited by Jamesy on 25 Mar 2024, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,006
Location: Right over your left shoulder

25 Mar 2024, 5:35 pm

While her folks aren't wrong, they're missing the point and invalidating her very valid concerns.


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
GOP Predators


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
While her folks aren't wrong, they're missing the point and invalidating her very valid concerns.



Like a lot of people she enjoys drinking wine and cocktails with friends on the weekend which also would put her at risk of cancer.


Maybe one day there will be vaccinations against cancer?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,006
Location: Right over your left shoulder

25 Mar 2024, 5:39 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
While her folks aren't wrong, they're missing the point and invalidating her very valid concerns.



Like a lot of people she enjoys drinking wine and cocktails with friends on the weekend which also would put her at risk of cancer.


Maybe one day there will be vaccinations against cancer?


Maybe some of them. There's already one for HPV, which can cause cervical cancer, oral cancers, etc.


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
GOP Predators


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
While her folks aren't wrong, they're missing the point and invalidating her very valid concerns.



Like a lot of people she enjoys drinking wine and cocktails with friends on the weekend which also would put her at risk of cancer.


Maybe one day there will be vaccinations against cancer?


Maybe some of them. There's already one for HPV, which can cause cervical cancer, oral cancers, etc.



Who do you think is more ignorant my friend or her parents?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,006
Location: Right over your left shoulder

25 Mar 2024, 5:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
While her folks aren't wrong, they're missing the point and invalidating her very valid concerns.



Like a lot of people she enjoys drinking wine and cocktails with friends on the weekend which also would put her at risk of cancer.


Maybe one day there will be vaccinations against cancer?


Maybe some of them. There's already one for HPV, which can cause cervical cancer, oral cancers, etc.



Who do you think is more ignorant my friend or her parents?


I think the parents are being insensitive, more than ignorant. I'm not sure I'd label either of them as ignorant.


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
GOP Predators


Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,743
Location: Surrey, UK

25 Mar 2024, 5:53 pm

Wearing a cold cap is known to reduce, even prevent hair loss through chemo for some. A cold cap is a hat that is worn during some chemotherapy treatments. Its cooling effect reduces blood flow to the scalp, which also reduces the amount of chemotherapy medication that reaches this area. This helps to prevent hair loss. It's usually worn for 15 minutes before each chemotherapy treatment.

There are some pretty amazing wigs now for those who do lose all their hair, if they choose.

So far as your friend’s parents comments go, they are perfectly reasonable in making such a statement. When it comes down to it, if your friend were ever in need of chemo, the reality is the will to overcome the disease & go on living would hopefully put things into perspective for her. One in three of us will wind up with cancer according to the latest news.

Many women do find it difficult & hugely emotionally challenging to lose their hair. But, hair will grow back & there is alot of support among both sufferers & those caring for them. A sense of true comaraderie. Overcoming the fear of hair loss, the fear of chemo, the fear of the side effects of chemo generally, the fear of the aftermath of the treatment & potential for the lack of success of the treatment, the potential returning of the cancer etc … there may always be fears to overcome in life, but I’d fear the deep nausea/vomitting far more than the hairloss(& I have long hair), having experienced 9months of it(hyperemisis gravidarum) said to be the same effect as chemo in that regard. It can be extreme & you may feel like death itself for the duration. Hair will be the last thing on your mind in that instance.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 5:55 pm

Juliette wrote:
Wearing a cold cap is known to reduce, even prevent hair loss through chemo for some. A cold cap is a hat that is worn during some chemotherapy treatments. Its cooling effect reduces blood flow to the scalp, which also reduces the amount of chemotherapy medication that reaches this area. This helps to prevent hair loss. It's usually worn for 15 minutes before each chemotherapy treatment.

There are some pretty amazing wigs now for those who do lose all their hair, if they choose.

So far as your friend’s parents comments go, they are perfectly reasonable in making such a statement. When it comes down to it, if your friend were ever in need of chemo, the reality is the will to overcome the disease & go on living would hopefully put things into perspective for her. One in three of us will wind up with cancer according to the latest news.

Many women do find it difficult & hugely emotionally challenging to lose their hair. But, hair will grow back & there is alot of support among both sufferers & those caring for them. A sense of true comaraderie. Overcoming the fear of hair loss, the fear of chemo, the fear of the side effects of chemo generally, the fear of the aftermath of the treatment & potential for the lack of success of the treatment, the potential returning of the cancer etc … there may always be fears to overcome in life, but I’d fear the deep nausea/vomitting far more than the hairloss(& I have long hair), having experienced 9months of it(hyperemisis gravidarum) said to be the same effect as chemo in that regard. It can be extreme & you may feel like death itself for the duration. Hair will be the last thing on your mind in that instance.




Off topic I see you live in Surrey. I live in Hampshire. :)



Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,743
Location: Surrey, UK

25 Mar 2024, 6:05 pm

Hampshire’s a lovely place. I’m from Australia but felt like an adventure, so moved to the UK. Love it here!



DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,873
Location: PNW USA

25 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm

I'd think I'd be afraid of getting cancer because of the risk of death - not hair loss from Chemotherapy. Besides, you don't have to lose your hair during Chemo anymore. 2 friends of mine have used the scalp-cooling device during their treatments and both still had a full head of hair.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 6:11 pm

Just curious what would happen in the unlikely scenario Kate Middelton died from cancer?



Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,743
Location: Surrey, UK

25 Mar 2024, 6:24 pm

That would be a devastating loss for her husband, her young children, extended family & the nation as a whole, or at least, anyone who knows what loss can do. Dread to think of it, knowing what the loss of my own Mother did to me when I was 5. William will be King eventually, and hopefully with Kate by his side.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,225
Location: Near London United Kingdom

25 Mar 2024, 6:26 pm

Juliette wrote:
That would be a devastating loss for her husband, her young children, extended family & the nation as a whole, or at least, anyone who knows what loss can do. Dread to think of it, knowing what the loss of my own Mother did to me when I was 5. William will be King eventually, and hopefully with Kate by his side.



I wonder what Kates funeral would be like? Would it be private or a big one perhaps



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,265
Location: Stendec

25 Mar 2024, 7:06 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think her parents are not considering the devastating impact losing your hair can have on cancer patients when on chemotherapy and it now it effects self esteem/body image.
I think her parents are considering the devastating impact that dying would have on their daughter (and them, of course).

They are wise to point out the  frivolity  stupidity of avoiding life-saving treatments in favor of one's appearance.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.