Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 6:25 pm

Or maybe this post should be entitled- "How Not to Look Like Bozo the CLown?" For some reason I have more trouble coordinating winter clothing than summer clothes. Does anyone know if you need to match your winter coat and hat & gloves in the same color? And what about your snow boots? I made the mistake I guess of buying a strange shade of red coat. What color of hat can I wear with it? I found myself almost buying a fake leather brown hat but that would probably look bad soI didn't get it.

I just need to make friends with some fashionable NT with enough sympathy to help me coordinate I guess. sigh

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 6:29 pm

I feel like you most of the time -- like I don't seem to know how to coordinate my clothing.

That's why, especially when buying something like a coat, I stick with a neutral color such as black or brown. It's much easier to coordinate things with those two colors.

Black would probably be a good choice for boots or a hat with a red coat.

Kris

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2007, 7:15 pm

I solved this problem for myself by buying a lot of black clothing. I still have shirts and ties to deal with at work but anyone that was going to mention I wear mismatching things has already given in.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 7:18 pm

a red coat is gunna be difficult, probably grey or beige with go with it.

best to stick to neutrals if you're not confident with colour. I used to dress in bright colours a lot, it's an aspie thing. i had to force myself to reach for the non-bright colour choice although it had no appeal for me, i'd try it on thinking ugh, but eventually it became a habit. now i don't stand out so much, phew.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:57 pm

everybody always says i look best in reds, pinks and coral colors. but i got the jacket just because it looked best in that color. the color is actually called dragon's blood... no i kid you not. its a columbia sportswear fleece jacket. it is weird shade of red. i don't get a new coat every year because i can't afford to really so i wasn't planning on getting a different coat. plus i find it difficult to find coats and jackets to fit me. i'm proportioned strange.

i don't get many black or navy clothes because i have a cat. if i even wear my black jeans i have to put them on at the last minute and race out of the house before the cat can rub up against me. i've also been told i don't look good in dark colors and that i should quit trying to wear dark clothes one lady even told me.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 11:24 pm

Quote:
I solved this problem for myself by buying a lot of black clothing.

That solved mine too...basically most of my wardrobe is black, grey, & olive. I don't care for anything bright.

I have a couple of fashionable NT friends/acquaintances...after a few disasters I no longer solicit fashion advice. :lol:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 11:42 pm

Beenthere wrote:
Quote:
I solved this problem for myself by buying a lot of black clothing.

That solved mine too...basically most of my wardrobe is black, grey, & olive. I don't care for anything bright.

Olive clothes confuse me. What colors do you match them with? Or do you were olive top and bottom? How do you find two pieces of olive that match? Khaki also confuses me.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:23 am

Olive can go with a lighter shade of the same olive...a dark olive silk top works great with a nice pair of black pants...throw on a few nice pieces of gold jewelry, add a long black full coat or a long black sweater over top....

I wear black alot...goes with anything, but yep, cat hair...and they seem to have radar don't they? :lol:

I have a FEW colors...mostly tops with mute patterns with alot of black in them...a couple gold tops...I avoid gold in the winter though as it makes me look like I have jaundice...I tend to like solid color shorts, pants...then pair them with a mute pattern containing at least some of the same color.

I never match a winter coat with my gloves and hat, I match only the gloves and the hat...I always go with another color to offset...with me that's usually black or grey...with black boots.

With a red coat you could probably go for black, grey, or cream...it really depends on your skin tone and hair color...especially with the hat, put it up next to your eyes and face in the store mirror and pick the color that looks best. Whatever you do don't ask the 17 year old size 3 cashier which one looks best...they lie though their teeth. :wink:

edal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 5:21 pm

<sigh> this is the one advantage I can think of when my girlfriend chooses clothes for me. I have hopeless color vision, especially at the red end of the spectrum so rather than look like Bozo the clown (thanks for that image) I let someone else do the hard work.

Folks with lots of money have it easy, go to your gentleman tailor and have your new suit cut to fit. You then ask the tailor (who has VASTLY more experience than you) to recommend some shirts. As a wearer of jeans and t-shirts I do not make use of such a facility.

Ed Almos

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2007, 6:13 pm

I usually just keep it to jeans + top; most t-shirts and jumpers fit nicely colour-wise with jeans, so it's pretty easy. (Well, I've not had complaints...)

If I get more complex though I'll usually just ask my wife. (Else she'll complain about what I'm wearing and pick something new out anyway :) )

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 6:56 pm

arem wrote:
I usually just keep it to jeans + top; most t-shirts and jumpers fit nicely colour-wise with jeans, so it's pretty easy. (Well, I've not had complaints...)

Are jumpers sweaters? I always thought it was, but then someone here said jumpers are dresses. In which case your wife has some explaining to do why she is letting you run around in t-shirts and dresses.

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2007, 7:45 pm

I think jumpers & sweaters are much the same thing (at least here).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper

Quote:
* A jumper is a garment.
o In the United Kingdom and Australia, it is similar to the U.S. sweater or a jersey.
o In the U.S., it refers to a sleeveless collarless dress; see jumper dress.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 9:41 pm

That's what I always thought that jumpers in the UK are sweaters in US. But someone belittled me in one of the British terminology threads that jumpers were dresses in the UK.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 7:45 am

Best to find a friendly NT, they're experts at this stuff. Before I got married I would wear mis-matched socks.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 8:44 am

In Australia, "jumpers" are long sleeved tops made out of fleece or other knitted material. I'd never heard of dresses being called "jumpers" but suppose that a dress made out of fleece with long sleeves could be a jumper dress.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

arem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2007, 6:15 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Best to find a friendly NT, they're experts at this stuff. Before I got married I would wear mis-matched socks.

I still do that sometimes, much to the frustration of my wife.