Page 1 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:21 am

Closed to all but the above three types of people please, open to all topics of discussion between people who accept God and His Son, just God, or are open to the possibility of God's existence. All others are not welcome here, besides you pretty much have the rest of the forum anyway, so don't bother us here; NO TROUBLEMAKERS! No foul language either or anything else that would be OFFENSIVE to people who believe in GOD.

With that groundwork laid, what should be the first topic of discussion?

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2007, 4:27 am

I am open to the possibility and will believe as soon as there is any evidence.

I don't believe however that forming a sect on WP where other ideas are forcefully excluded is OK.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:34 am

Evidence is all around you.

I don't believe it's right for one group to be harassed no matter where they go and would like some freedom.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 5:55 am

...but you don't see it

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:09 am

Kinda like a mental block. Also like Sherlock Holmes explained that the best place to hide anything is in plain sight.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:29 am

there's supposed to be a red moon on Tuesday (the newspapers are calling it blood-red), it's an eclipse. should we get all excited about it or not, theologically?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:41 am

That something that's periodic, not unique.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 7:02 am

Well, there is evidence both for and against God. There is so much beauty and intricacy in the universe, it makes you wonder- could coincedence and the laws of nature created this, or something divine?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 7:45 am

Anubis wrote:
Well, there is evidence both for and against God. There is so much beauty and intricacy in the universe, it makes you wonder- could coincidence and the laws of nature created this, or something divine?

Facts can be taken any number of ways really, I know the evolutionary viewpoint and I'm tired of hearing it. I say, "give biochemistry and genetics a hundred years of steady funding and evolution will no longer be an accepted hypothesis." However, in today environment it would seem that any discovery running counter to the accepted view would be promptly disregarded, funding cut off, and researchers out of a job.

I don't think beauty has much to do with proof of intelligence, have you ever been to an art museum? Intricacy is more so to the point though. How well things work together to function as a whole and so forth. I really don't want to bother with the origins issue anymore after dealing with all those people on Facebook, but WP does have better moderators so I'll be more willing to converse on the subject.

Aside from Genesis, are there any other Biblical topics anyone would like to discuss? Or how 'bout other topics which most people would know more about? Such as: Coke or Pepsi?

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2007, 9:16 am

Anubis wrote:
Well, there is evidence both for and against God. There is so much beauty and intricacy in the universe, it makes you wonder- could coincedence and the laws of nature created this, or something divine?

There is no evidence for God. Even if there is evidence for design - I'm not saying there is by the way - that would not mean there is evidence for God.

Anyway for a designer to sit down and have conjured up everything is ... not very interesting - I personally understand how to design something, I design software for instance. It is not very special if I understand how to do it.

What would be special is if a small set of physical laws can - over a scale of time too large to be understood - have generated the galaxies, the sun, planets, bacteria, fish, and trees ... well that really would be amazing. A-MA-ZING. That would be worth thinking about.

Compared to that the idea of God the designer is like a cheap salesman.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 9:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Closed to all but the above three types of people please, open to all topics of discussion between people who accept God and His Son, just God, or are open to the possibility of God's existence. All others are not welcome here, besides you pretty much have the rest of the forum anyway, so don't bother us here; NO TROUBLEMAKERS! No foul language either or anything else that would be OFFENSIVE to people who believe in GOD.

With that groundwork laid, what should be the first topic of discussion?

I didnt realise you were a mod here....
Isnt this thread a bit unfair on all those you think you can exclude?

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:50 am

How is it unfair? Every thread any religious thinker these days puts up, becomes a religion-bashing thread. Is it unfair to ask for at least one thread where that doesn't happen and a certain amount of civility actually reigns? How is it unfair? In a "help, help, I'm being repressed" sort of way?

I mean seriously, the Christians and the Muslims can't even have a good old-fashioned knock-down-drag-out without all you atheists rushing in like a bunch of drunken Brits at a soccer match. :roll:

18:33. Press 'Return'

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:26 am

I go by the Jethro Tull logic
pro God anti church :)
There very well could be a God but I just choose not to worship him or her (I think God would be a woman if it was a gender) personally I think God is both and neither, we just put a human form to him so we can comprehend what he/she looks like (plus in the olden times people were very, very sexist)
anyways...I was raised catholic but absolutely refuse to practice it...
for my own reasons...*cough* sexual orientation
:)

MarieElana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:39 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Closed to all but the above three types of people please, open to all topics of discussion between people who accept God and His Son, just God, or are open to the possibility of God's existence.

I think you got the agnostic bit confused, I mean, I'm agnostic but I don't exactly believe in god, I am just spiritual c:

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:42 pm

rideforever wrote:
Anubis wrote:

There is no evidence for God. Even if there is evidence for design - I'm not saying there is by the way - that would not mean there is evidence for God.

Anyway for a designer to sit down and have conjured up everything is ... not very interesting - I personally understand how to design something, I design software for instance. It is not very special if I understand how to do it.

What would be special is if a small set of physical laws can - over a scale of time too large to be understood - have generated the galaxies, the sun, planets, bacteria, fish, and trees ... well that really would be amazing. A-MA-ZING. That would be worth thinking about.

Compared to that the idea of God the designer is like a cheap salesman.

Wow. 8O How did you do that? That's so backward, it deserves an ovation for performance.

You made utter randomness out to be exciting, while making an infinite Genius out to be boring and dull. With a mindset like that, you can believe ANYTHING, whether sensical or not! Congrats. :roll:

(And, I'm certain you don't belong here, as in past months of discussion, you've never shown the slightest inkling of openness toward the existence of God. Your reasoning on that subject has proven to be a closed circle. For instance, there's "NO evidence", AT ALL, for God?? C'mon, no one truly believes that! Be more subtle in your denial, and you'll come off more convincing.)

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 1:34 pm

rideforever wrote:

What would be really special would be if there was an intelligence out there so vast that it could actually come up with a small set of physical laws that could generate such a universe. And then be so powerful that it could put it's thought into form. That would really be amazing.

18:33. Press 'Return'