Quick guys i need advice! job offer

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Venevus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2007, 11:23 am

I got a job offer, got out of the interview today, they want me, and they want me by Monday.

it's real good, call center tech support position with paid training.

problem is, the training schedule interferes with my school.

do I:
a) drop a class (1 class left after that) and take the job
b) keep class, take another class, keep current job at college ( $9 per hour, 8 hours a week)

why would I not take the job? I'm picky, and I kinda want something more computer fixer oriented, like one of my previous jobs, but at the same time I'd be stupid not to take this, but i have to decide tonight so i can call the people back.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:33 pm

If you want it; do it!

Drop a class (no indication of what it is) You can always study some other time.

If the job is taking you in a direction you want to go: Go For It!
Obviously if the converse applies Don't.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2007, 12:51 pm

Job>Study>Tech support.

A job is nicer than studying, but tech support suck so bad that you really should not skip school for it.
It's a McJob. They always want people. They can wait.
Finish school first. Then perhaps you'll get a better job as well.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:33 pm

McJob ?? well I can tell YOU never worked tech support! I got the tech support job AFTER graduating from college.

I would suggest you do a little research before you toss somebody else's profession off so casually!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:42 pm

After research is done on that employer, go for it after you drop 1 class.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2007, 3:01 pm

Wow, seems like somebody is overly sensitive about the subject... Wonder why?
Does it matter? If I think ice cream taster is the worst job ever, what's it to you?

I guess you went to college to work in tech support, then? :?
I don't know what interesting place you live at, but the tech support jobs I've had were pretty much the alternative to McDonald or delivering news papers to get money for the rent.

I've got a degree in computer programming from the university but I work as a janitor, so I don't really see your point?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 3:06 pm

ion wrote:
Wow, seems like somebody is overly sensitive about the subject... Wonder why?
Does it matter? If I think ice cream taster is the worst job ever, what's it to you?

I guess you went to college to work in tech support, then? :?
I don't know what interesting place you live at, but the tech support jobs I've had were pretty much the alternative to McDonald or delivering news papers to get money for the rent.

I've got a degree in computer programming from the university but I work as a janitor, so I don't really see your point?

you are a snob janitor, then. and I pity your friends (if you have any with your attitude!)

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2007, 3:41 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
you are a snob janitor, then. and I pity your friends (if you have any with your attitude!)

Eh? What is the matter with you?
I guess you work in tech support, right?
And you're very upset that someone said it was a bad job, right?
Which you would only be if you secretly thought so yourself but didn't want to confess it, especially since you apparently went to college to do it.
If you really thought it was a great job, you would just shrug me off, wouldn't you?

Then, I tell you that education doesn't have to have a direct connection to employment, by taking myself as an example.
And your answer? 'Snob janitor'? What the hell do you even mean with 'snob janitor'?
And then something about my friends, which I fail to see what they have to do with anything?
Unless you're just trying to have a childish attitude.

I assume you're trying to somehow insult me, my friends or my job?
But as I already pointed out, I have no reason to feel insulted.

Do you?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:55 pm

It doesn't matter whether anyone else thinks Tech Support is a good job or not, the key question is whether it's something you really want to do for a long time, and if so will it pay the bills?

If it is a "dead-end" job with no promotion prospects (as the "McJob" criticisms tend to suggest) then you're probably better of staying in education, unless it's something you really love. If, on the other hand, it is a foot in the door leading to much greater opportunities, it's worth the risk. Employers value qualifications but they also value experience and hard graft. Plus you'll be paying into a pension scheme earlier than all those who stay in College.

Bear in mind when doing the sums that food and petrol and taxes all cost a lot more than you'd think (assuming you're still living with parents). What seems like a good deal may not seem so good when you have to start paying all the bills. Employers tend to pick on youngsters because they are naive, too, so haggle like hell over things like working hours, pension, overtime, expenses and share options. You are giving up your liberty in order to work for them - it is an exchange - and therefore they must appeal to you just as you must appeal to them. Too many young people undervalue themselves, I think.

Venevus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2007, 7:49 pm

update guys, I called them back shortly after the interview and left a message with my school scheduel with the idea that I would drop my physics class (that was the one in the way) so i could take the job. The job would have paid for bills and even some school (they mentioned a tuition program), but it was not exactly what I wanted to do. No matter, I've worked at the super market for less, this couldn't be so bad.

But they haven't called back, and I think while I was making a decision, they hired someone else. oh well, plan b.

Thanks for all your replies though, at least it was good practice for an interview and preparing and all.

As for the McJob stuff, It probably is like that, but like a said, I've done worse for less with my two year degree(s). I kinda believe i'm gonna have to work at something I don't absolutely love before I get my Bachelors. I don't mind to bad, because the economy here sucks and I was excited that I had gotten that 1 call back from all the places I've applied, even if they did seem suspiciously in a hurry to hire someone, after waiting a month to call me (still other places have called me after a year surprisingly, always be nice to your job prospects).

Venevus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2007, 7:53 pm

you know, there are good tech support jobs, and bad tech support jobs. I still miss my old "Tech support" job. I was a computer technician for a small company (mom and pop computer shop) and I miss that job. I was all over the county doing everything from running wires, configuring networks, upgrading servers, to changing the colors on the windows desktop just the way the managers at various businesses liked them.

Only reasons that job sucked were that i was a contractor and not an employee, and people can be thankless too, plus, very low pay, but if it weren't for those things, ahhhh... I do miss doing all that stuff.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2007, 7:54 pm

Venevus wrote:
As for the McJob st.uff, It probably is like that, but like a said, I've done worse for less with my two year degree(s). I kinda believe i'm gonna have to work at something I don't absolutely love before I get my Bachelors.

Yeah, I was only warning you not to drop out of school or anything for a job that might not have much to give you.
If you know it's a good job, then take it.
But since it turned out as it seems it did, perhaps just finish that last course and then you'll be free to say Yes! on the spot? :wink:

Venevus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2007, 10:14 am

ion wrote:
Venevus wrote:
As for the McJob st.uff, It probably is like that, but like a said, I've done worse for less with my two year degree(s). I kinda believe i'm gonna have to work at something I don't absolutely love before I get my Bachelors.

Yeah, I was only warning you not to drop out of school or anything for a job that might not have much to give you.
If you know it's a good job, then take it.
But since it turned out as it seems it did, perhaps just finish that last course and then you'll be free to say Yes! on the spot? :wink:

yeah, they did mention something about helping pay for school. Right now It's all just sunk in, and I don't have this job, i realize that i hate my school, and made a fool out of myself being frustrated yelling obscenities in front of my neighbors (there's a bit more to it than that but it's not important).

I really wanted to just take one class at a time and work full time. Now i'm still in my mom's pocket. I'm gonna just tuck my tail between my legs and waddle over to the haven :cry: