Page 8 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Does the Bible present a flat earth? Think carefully...
Yes, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes and I have read it 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No and I have read it 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:28 pm

The flat earth idea is purely a fairytale.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:30 pm

Anubis wrote:

What do you mean?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:22 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
I've not seen any "flat earth quotes from the Bible" either.

like i said, that doesn't really apply... doesn't mean they thought it was round...

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:
But the bible is never read from cover to cover anyway. Every Christian I know picks and chooses which passages to read and follow at any one time, and they have told me that they have to do it that way to get the true MEANING (if there is one) of God's word. I told them it would be simpler to read it cover-to-cover, but they said the 'word' wasn't written that way, you are meant to search for it. So quoting small passages is done quite regularly, and the context is not lost. You may have been taught differently, but I was told if I read the bible like a normal book, I would not get the meaning, because it wouldn't make sense. That's one reason I gave Christianity the arse in the first place.

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me? On the ACT and GED I was in the 99th percentile in reading comprehesion, I doubt very much any of you are from what I've been reading here.

lol :roll:

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:32 pm

Don't waste your time trying to argue, Sedaka. It's like talking to a brick wall.
And in some cases, you just get a mouthful of abuse.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Hadron wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:
But the bible is never read from cover to cover anyway. Every Christian I know picks and chooses which passages to read and follow at any one time, and they have told me that they have to do it that way to get the true MEANING (if there is one) of God's word. I told them it would be simpler to read it cover-to-cover, but they said the 'word' wasn't written that way, you are meant to search for it. So quoting small passages is done quite regularly, and the context is not lost. You may have been taught differently, but I was told if I read the bible like a normal book, I would not get the meaning, because it wouldn't make sense. That's one reason I gave Christianity the arse in the first place.

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me? On the ACT and GED I was in the 99th percentile in reading comprehesion, I doubt very much any of you are from what I've been reading here.

I read the entire Bible, and it contraticts itself over and over, I have lost count of the RE lessons where we did evidence for and evidence against. A high comprehension score shows an ability to write an essay and concur with a mark scheme, not neccesarily evidence for geninuine understanding.

I got 76th percentile on the essay, I stink at writing and that wasn't what the test measured.

but what better way to prover your comprehension of things you read... like say on a forum board.

i woulnd't have deduced you were in the 99th percentile by your posts

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 11:54 pm

Basic reading and comprehension you learn in primary school, at about grades 3 & 4 level. Writing at probably around the same time. Understanding is learnt through practise and study; all other things are incidental, and in some case irrelevant. Therefore, whether you can read the bible means nothing if you can't understand the meaning, and if the meaning is hidden, then only those that seek the meaning will get anything from it. And comparing the bible to War & Peace in that you read from cover-to-cover is irrational, because one is purely fiction, and one is meant to be a guide on how to live. It could also be fiction, but isn't that waht we are debating as well. Saying "no it isn't" every time someone says it may be is just like that Python argument sketch, and makes the ones proclaiming the bible to be factual out to be not only one-sided, but very dense in their thinking.

Oh, and blind arrogance is a thing picked up as one supposedly matures, unfortunately some younger people seem to have picked up this form of arrogance earlier, which is annoying.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:03 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
And I am not accepting any responsiblity for that.

Whether the flat-earth was mentioned is neither here nor there anyway, the fact is, there were people who believed in those things like sailing over the end of the world etc, and because anything other than the religious or church view was seen to be heresy, meant that if you put an opposing view across, you either got tortured, or ridiculed or even excommunicated. Similar to what has happened in this forum, sad to say. You only have to look at Galileo Galilei, for eg, when he proposed that things revolved around the sun instead of the earth, and also for postulating that the moons of Jupiter (Ganymede, Io, Callisto and Europa) revolved around Jupiter and not the earth. He was imprisoned, and forced to recant, and was only released in his latter years after he went blind. The church may have possibly gone after Da Vinci, not only for his theories and his artwork, but for his homosexuality as well. So obviously these people had to get their teachings from somewhere, and the church is more than likely the culprit, because they ran education, and therefore as I said, contrary opinion was heresy.

i mentioned that on pg 3 /nod

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:23 am

Sedaka wrote:
JonnyBGoode wrote:
I've not seen any "flat earth quotes from the Bible" either.

like i said, that doesn't really apply... doesn't mean they thought it was round...

It doesn't, or in that case then we should look at the original writings, not the translation ones, if that's the case I suppose.

Mostly we should see how their society knew or thought about it at time of ancient judaism and early christianity.

One of the links provided claims that the ancients knew about the shape of the earth, I suppose they did, there were philosophers and scientists on ancient times, probably the more powerful societies back then studied it somehow, knowing or speculating about the shape of the earth, most likely those "ideas" were not that popular even in those societies because no one cared about it, much less with jewish and early christians, and that's really the question. Did jewish and early christians accepted those things? I actually doubt it, that if they even heard about it.

How about the earth orbiting around the sun? most likely they would have seen that as blasphemy, the idea would be to them like worshiping the sun instead of God, therefore rejecting it.

Last edited by greenblue on 30 Aug 2007, 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:24 am

Yes, just saw that. Didn't realise I'd posted something that you covered, but maybe it slipped through the cracks in their reasoning, like everything else has. Did you see the vids on the other thread, by the way?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 4:43 pm

Anubis wrote:

Attributed to Christianity in the late 1800s although the idea was Greek. Some Greek philosophers thought it was round and the books of Isaiah and Job mention that idea before the Greeks got to it, but other philosophers were more popular, 300 years before Christ came, so before Christianity had popular support 600 years before Constantine.