Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 4:24 pm

+1, that was a perfect post.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 1:54 am

Thanks for all the tips... I went and picked up an electronic tuner, good advice. My ear isn't that great, so I can't really tell the difference between notes very well. Well I can recognize some intervals now when I hear them, but the basic sounds of notes I have no idea if they are off or not.

I noticed one problem though when playing, I have extremly stubby short fingers which makes it very hard to move around the frets. I guess I'll just have to learn to move my hand faster...

It's slow going learning an instrument at first, but I have shown improvment just after one day... so thats a plus... :roll: But it will take a bit before I can start playing the instrument to a level where I can play along with the songs I have written... and eventually just come up with some bass lines. But it'll be a fun challange.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 7:40 am

I am curious, what type of bass is it?

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 3:20 pm

Kent... a name I have never heard of... probably something cheap...

But... I can't complain considering the price...

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 3:33 pm

Definitely vintage, made in the 1960's perhaps. Does it have F holes?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 4:06 pm

Yup, it does have F-holes.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 6:31 am

Tell us more. I like talking about gear. Did it come with an amp and if so what type? What condition is it in? How does it feel?

I have memories of Kents from back in the 70's when they weren't considered vintage, but I don't remember the specifics and I never had one myself.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 9:59 pm

The amp that came with it is a small Fender amp 38W. I don't think its designed for Bass Guitar though, but it does have a headphone jack...

The bass seems to be in very good condition. I really don't think the people who had it before really used it that much. I think my uncle said he replaced the strings, bit I don't know with what kind. It was always kept in the case and sat in a closet or something...

My other uncle, who the bass really belongs to say this model of bass is high-amauture low-end professional in quality... but I really can't tell... considering I haven't played any other bass.

This bass seems to have a really long neck, and the spacing between the strings is very large for my fingers. So if I were going to actually buy one, I'd probably get one that has different physical dimensions.

I am getting pretty used to moving up and down the frets though. No real blisters, but I am noticing a little tenderness in my fingers. And it was a bit tricky using both right hand fingers at first, but that is coming along. I learned the pattern for a scale, and am learning the note names of some frets. Moving up more than 3 frets, especially at the top of the neck, is very difficult for me. I can't really hold both frets and the same time, so I have to hold the top one... then quickly move down to the low fret with my pinky...which doesn't have the best control or accuracy. But I am sure this is something that comes with much practice.

The best thing is that with a scale I can just play around, and figure out a bass groove I like and then I can use that in my composing of a song. Which is really all I wanted. I also am able to play around with the midi music I have made, take out the bass part and play around... that is helpful too.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 6:33 am

The amp should be fine for practicing. The 34" scale necks can be too long for some people and there are basses with shorter necks, but even if you eventually decide to get another bass you should keep the Kent. They were the instruments that you would see in J.C. Penney, or Sears catalogs many years ago. There was one on EBay with a buy it now price of 590.00, which is more than what most beginner basses cost.

I am not sure of what could help you with the fingering difficulties other than practice, maybe someone else who reads this thread will know some tricks. I have long fingers and have difficulties with 6 string necks that have a smaller radius (where the strings are closer together).