Autism Discussed in My Class Today...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 7:18 pm

Today we were talking about Autism in my biopsychology class. I told my professor at the beginning of the class that I have Asperger's, and that sometimes I need clarification on ambiguous multiple-choice questions as a result.

((Tangent: My professors have thus far been pretty cool about that- I explain it this way: "I sometimes understand the answer, but not the question," and that sometimes I need things rephrased without giving the answer away. It's proven to be useful to know if you can ask for clarification. If you're in school and are on the spectrum, it's definitely something I'd recommend.))

Anyway, he knows I have it and in fact his wife works with teens with AS. Now, I think when we were talking about Autism in class today, he was dodging the term Asperger's Syndrome. I'm not entirely sure of this, but I really think he was. My difficulty was in not bursting out laughing during this. I don't know if he thought I wasn't making eye contact (which I usually do to some extent in class, actually, I've improved) because I was embarrassed, but really, it was a lack of control of my facial expression because it was kind of funny.

Just thought I'd share my amusing experience. *shrug*

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 7:55 pm

I wish they did talks like that while I was at school... Though I did once to a public speaking (GAH!) project on Aspergers Syndrome.

GA

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2005, 10:41 pm

I wonder if he stayed away from Asperger's Syndrome because he's aware that everyone isn't in agreement that it's on the Autism Spectrum or that even he, himself, believes that it isn't...

Seems silly though. A good majority believe it is on the spectrum. It's listed under PDDs in the DSM even.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/