Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:47 am

Colo. school bans tag on its playground

oy... what next, little hall monitors in riot gear enforcing playground protocol?

Double-you tee eff?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:49 am

Killjoys! It's harmless children's fun!

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 10:27 am

The best tag games I ever played were off the ground up trees.

I bet killjoys nowadays ban that as dangerous.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:01 pm

This sucks, but only because it was the only thing I could do well as a kid. I couldn't hit a ball or catch it, couldn't kick it or throw it. I couldn't do alot of the coordinated things on the playground, but I could sure run "like the wind". Tag was one of the few things I was good at. What are kids today who suck at ball-games like i did to do now?

parts
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 8:39 pm

Yes that's good we must save the children maybe we could ban talking at school too so nobody gets harassed :roll:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 9:58 pm

There are lots of things that are banned. the old steel equipment has been replaced with short plastic gyms. Tether ball is banned, crack the whip/smeer the queer is gone and dodge ball is gone too.
I never saw anyone injured in those games. We had a dodgeball type game called "prison ball". All the kids would play, a great equalizer.
I don't know if tag is banned at our district but if anyone gets "hurt", then the kids get in trouble.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Aug 2007, 10:13 pm

this is almost as pathetic as some town in the south wanting to ban baggy pants :?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 1:47 am

When I went to primary school (between '67 and '73) they tried to ban 'British Bulldog' in the shelter sheds, because they said it was 'tto violent'. We said f**k off and still did it anyway. Same with 'Brandy'. It's just that society has gotten so piss-weak, that things we took as normal back then are frowned upon and stamped out by mindless prats who have nothing better to do than sit in their little fiefdoms giving orders. If only they would let kids be kids, all this s**t would stop dead in it's tracks. Namby-pamby kids because pathetic anally retentive adults, and they are the ones running the country today.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 2:08 pm

I remember when i was a kid we played on hard asphalt playgrounds. Kids would fall and get scrapped all the time and they would just get back up and keep playing. Kids are such wimps nowadays. I notice they don't put swings in the playgrounds at the schools anymore. I guess they figure its too dangerous.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 3:50 pm

KimJ wrote:
There are lots of things that are banned. ...Tether ball is banned...

Tetherball? Noooo! That was my favorite game to play at recess. Sure....it's how I broke my pinky in 3rd grade, but still. That really saddens me.

Edit: That's also dumb that they banned tag. We're bitching about our kids being fat, but we won't let them chase each other which is really good exercise? Ok....that makes no sense to me.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 8:14 pm

Cyanide wrote:
KimJ wrote:
There are lots of things that are banned. ...Tether ball is banned...

Tetherball? Noooo! That was my favorite game to play at recess. Sure....it's how I broke my pinky in 3rd grade, but still. That really saddens me.

Tetherball's still allowed here, from 3rd grade to 6th grade. Red Rover's not though, which was sad. We played it anyway and got in trouble every time.

Anyway, I know there used to a problem at the elementary school about who was playing and who wasn't, but our rule of thumb was that if you weren't playing, you didn't give chase (ie, you were tagged and the person ran before you could say you weren't playing, you just kept doing whatever you doing. It was pretty obvious).

Three years!