Prescription attention drugs--opinions please

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MasonJar
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2007, 12:13 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
To avoid gluten and casein in the modern food supply means rejecting a large percent of pre-made junk food and is often replaced with speciality products that are geared to the health food market.

How ironic that in order to get food that's good for you, you need to go to a "health food store". :wink: Actually, getting rid of gluten isn't as tough as I thought it would be. True, you need some alternative flours, etc., but you can find them at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, whatever, or they can easily be purchased on the internet. If you really have the tenacity, going gluten-free isn't that big a deal.
PS. Kudos on the fish oil.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 12:41 pm

"If your not medicating your child I'm not sure why your so emotional about the issue of other parents choosing to do the opposite."

Because I care about what happens in the world, outside of myself. I feel very passionate about this issue. I don't live in a vaccuum.

We need to open our eyes to see beyond ourselves. Don't you agree?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

08 Sep 2007, 3:17 pm

We were open to medication but considered it as an absolute last resort.

With intensive psychology, changes to home life and IEPs at school, my 2 sons with AS are doing much better.

When things get too much, we send them to my Mum's place for a mini-holiday - maybe 3 days. They are so intelligent, 3 days out of school doesn't hurt.

We also only send them to school 4 days per week - they are just too tired to go 5 days/week.

The first Paediatrician we saw was pushing Zoloft but we said - no - we'd try all other interventions first.

I was so glad - I later heard a horror story from another Mum who went to the same Paediatrician and put her 8 year old son on Zoloft. He went manic and ended up in hospital. He is now on other medication to counter the long-term side effects from his short-term use of Zoloft.

Helen

RhondaR
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2007, 6:28 pm

once again I find myself needing to stand up and say that it really is a PERSONAL decision whether to use medicine to deal with issues like depression or anxiety or things like that.

I know for my son, it's not about trying to make him easier to deal with - I'm a parent, I PARENT him. I don't need the meds for that - but on that very same token, I am not about to sit back and watch him suffer through some of the anxiety he has. Everyone has their own feelings and ideas about what works best for their children, and I would think that we could be respectful and supportive rather than judgemental in this area.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

08 Sep 2007, 6:42 pm

equinn wrote:
Quote:
"If your not medicating your child I'm not sure why your so emotional about the issue of other parents choosing to do the opposite."

Because I care about what happens in the world, outside of myself. I feel very passionate about this issue. I don't live in a vaccuum.

Its nice that you care. But how does the expression go: " the path to Hell is paved with good intentions". Its important to more than care its important to provide the most objective information you can
(be right). There is a long history of treating ADD/ADHD with stimulants and very high statistical efficacy in the studies. The short answer is the drugs work well for alot people and parents should not feel a guilt trip for allowing their kids to take the meds.

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2007, 9:50 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
equinn wrote:
Quote:

Its nice that you care. But how does the expression go: " the path to Hell is paved with good intentions". Its important to more than care its important to provide the most objective information you can
(be right). There is a long history of treating ADD/ADHD with stimulants and very high statistical efficacy in the studies. The short answer is the drugs work well for alot people and parents should not feel a guilt trip for allowing their kids to take the meds.

Thank you :).

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 10:50 am

There is no objective information to substantiate even the diagnosis of ADHD. It is subjective and based on observation only and a checklist.

The therapy used for ADHD is medication.

There is no objective long term studies to substantiate thesafety of ritalin and other stimulants.

There are some studies in effect now and one is not good. The brain shrinking from long term use of stimulants.

I do care. I can't keep silent on an issue that I care so much about. It is in my nature to speak up.

Why is it our country drugs children? Did you ever wonder why 90% of psychotropic drugs are given to US and Canada?

Does the US have something strange in the air that is making our kids strange or inattentive?

We need to ask the hard questions. Some are not willing to do this. It is too difficult. We want quick solutions. It is too difficult to fight the school, the district, the teachers--it is simply easier to manage a child that is medicated. This is worrisome to me because I live in this country. I care about our youth. I am a teacher and a parent.

Where is the objective data? I don't buy it. I know that my son could have easily received a diagnosis of ADHD, the chances are good that he would have been prescribed medication. I filled out one of those silly checklists. According to the teacher, he seemed to have been ADHD. It's way too easy. I put the word out that I was opposed to medication. Things took a different turn. Doctors will give you what you're looking for --this is unethical. Good intentions is too soft a description for what I feel about this particular issue.

RhondaR
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2007, 2:45 pm

equinn wrote:
There is no objective information to substantiate even the diagnosis of ADHD. It is subjective and based on observation only and a checklist.

I hate to say this equinn, but the truth is - MANY people say the very same things about Aspergers and PDD-NOS. Yet all of us here know what our children (and ourselves) have gone through. A disorder is usually something that is based on opinion - and there's no real test to prove what we already see.

There really shouldn't be any hard fast lines drawn on either side of this issue - because just as I would never go as far as to say I understand the effects of all medicines on all children - you shouldn't assume you understand what these kids are going through and that meds are never good - you can't possibly know. Each case is different and should be looked at from all sides by the parents and child involved.

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2007, 10:07 am

can you post some links to where you've found nutrition answers? I would whole heartedly love to do things naturally for my son. Are there certain types of fish oil? Is cod liver oil the same? tablets? softgels? I want to know everything where do I start?

That said, I do believe that God put certain medicines here to help us. Using some of them in moderation, if helpful, can be beneficial. Long term use, well of course the jury is still out on that! I realize the potential for such a heated debate on the issue, and that's why we can discuss it here as adults. I also think that many doctors want to help and simply don't know how else to do it. They are trained to help solve the problem, and though there are quacks out there, I would have to say that the vast majority just want to help.