Have you ever saved someone's life or had your life saved?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 11:46 pm

I've never saved anyone's life as far as I know. :)

I may have had my life saved though, by my shrink prescribing citalopram, lol.

I don't know if my father Heimliching me when I got a big piece of meat stuck in my throat when I was 3 counts...

Once on a trip to Europe me and my friend almost got run over by a streetcar in Amsterdam... we were inattentive because we were talking or something... one of the teachers grabed me and pulled me back, and since my friend's suitcase had gotten attached to mine by accieent she was dragged back with me...

Some people tried to save my life and would have if it was necessary... Once I had such horrible eyesight that I didn't see this fence that ran along the highway; I saw the McDonald's beyond it but not the fence, and the McDonald's was blurry, anyway... it was a highway that wasn't a highway... it was a main, busy internal throughfare but not a highway... I ran across, then a car came around the corner and this guy who was further down and had seen it went out into the road and stood between me and the car... which slowed down anyway because the lights changed or something... he then told me to go over the overpass and you could get to McDonald's that way... he was a nice guy, and I didn't even know him. :D

Yeah, my history is pretty boring. How about yours? :D

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 11:58 pm

I've saved my own life a few times. One time, I slipped off a balcony and caught the edge of it with my hands raised above my head, after I had already descended well below it. It was in a 1-floor garage though, so not really death-defying. :) It felt like something out of a movie, though.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 12:11 am

When I was 4, my older sister jumped into the pool to grab me as I sank to the bottom in the deep end. To this day she claims she saved my life, but I was sinking to the bottom on purpose to be funny.

When I was 6 or 7 or something like that, my father stopped the car and reached around to pull a peppermint disc from Pizza Hut out of my throat that I was choking on.

A couple of weeks ago I had to give myself the Heimlich for the same reason in my hotel room when I was choking on a cinnamon disc.

Twice, I have jumped into flaming cars to help people out. To this day I don't know why, since I pretty much could care less about random people. Adults anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to help a kid. I guess it is just second nature.

While driving, I have numerous times saved my own life and my families by avoiding other people's mistakes, including several times controlling a mini-van as I was forced onto the grass on the interstate going 70 mph when someone merged right into me. I am notorious for my driving skills. It is one of my obsessive anal traits.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2007, 12:30 am

When I was 14 I choked on an ice cube, I ran to my mom not talking and not breathing, she was confused when I very very quickly showed her my fist being pushed against my chest by the other then grabbing her arms and placing them in a similar position she pulled and I was saved, it sucked, and althought she had saved my life had I not known to show her the himlick I may have had a rough night.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 10:06 am

I would say my first Siamese cat, Samantha, saved my life by becoming my best friend when I really needed one. I was fourteen at the time and she lived 20 years.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 10:16 am

This one guy saved my life when I choked on a hard candy. It was lodged firmly in my throat and no one could get it out. I was very close to blacking out (everything was turning dark), when he comes out of nowhere and gives me the Heimlich. I swallowed the candy and everything was fine. The incident happened about 8 years ago, but it still makes me shiver if I think about it too much.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:30 pm

I was saved from drowning when I was a kid.

There was a small pool near our house and I used to sail model boats on it. One day I fell in and I couldn't swim, as I went deeper I remember seeing the concrete sides of the pool and thinking 'if I start drinking I can empty the pool and I will be OK'. **

A passing girl on a bike saw me fall in and dived in to save me. I know this because the next thing I knew I was face down on the grass and she was pumping the water out of my lungs. I could see her bike on its side through the grass.

Ed Almos

** extra point if you can spot the error in my plan.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:36 pm

Not sure.
I sat talking to a girl online once who was suicidal, while the police made their way there.
I managed to stop a 12 year old from self harming by showing her my own scars on webcam.

I suppose doctors saved my life when my kidneys packed up from the laxative abuse when I was anorexic.
I saved my own life when I started eating having been told the doctor had given me 24 hours if I continued to not eat.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:37 pm

Not sure.
I sat talking to a girl online once who was suicidal, while the police made their way there.
I managed to stop a 12 year old from self harming by showing her my own scars on webcam.

I suppose doctors saved my life when my kidneys packed up from the laxative abuse when I was anorexic.
I saved my own life when I started eating having been told the doctor had given me 24 hours if I continued to not eat.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 4:59 pm

I used to have a job which involved looking after mental health patients who were at risk of suicide/self-harm/violence. Ive possibly 'saved a few people in statistical terms, apart from the time(s) i got too focussed on a magazine or something and they wandered off on their own... :o :?

One time i talked a fork out of someones hands who said they were about to remove their right eyeball with it. That gave me a really nice rush afterwards 8) tbh i dont think they were really serious tho. Another time i alerted the doctors to someone in bed unconcious with irregular heartbeat/breathing that noone else had noticed.