Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 8:52 am

If one is lucky and careful he may live between 27,000 and 36,525 days. Life is way too short to be bothered by propositions which can neither be asserted nor refuted by empirical means.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 9:15 am

ruveyn wrote:
If one is lucky and careful he may live between 27,000 and 36,525 days. Life is way too short to be bothered by propositions which can neither be asserted nor refuted by empirical means.

ruveyn

And by empirical, you mean by experiments? Science doesn't use experimentation alone, especially in regard to things like astronomy where all we have is light to interpret. But, it isn't even so much a lack of empirical proof that prevents belief in God, but for such people like you and Sand, you would suppress your own comprehension of it. Even if the truth of it were plain to you and you were completely without excuse, you probably would not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, but instead throw your knowledge away and do whatever the heck you wanted to do anyway.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 3:28 pm

Existence is fleeting topic

The sad thing about this thread is that one of the posters here no longer exists, as humans understand the meaning of the word. :(

This thread started long before I became a member, and as such, I should not comment but I will say this: It started off as a flame, and has added little to the argument of the belief of an omnipotent, omnipresent god (the one found in the Old and New Testaments), and it has burned far longer than an Olympic torch. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 5:23 pm

^Yep...Starbuline.. :(

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Is starbuline actually dead? I thought she just got banned... oy...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 6:01 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Is starbuline actually dead? I thought she just got banned... oy...

Sadly yes but she did get banned before she passed away.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:02 am

I believe in God.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:39 am

Wow. Took me a second to get my head around seeing a name on an OP of someone who *knows* the answer to this one.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:05 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Wow. Took me a second to get my head around seeing a name on an OP of someone who *knows* the answer to this one.

:roll:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:33 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And by empirical, you mean by experiments? Science doesn't use experimentation alone, especially in regard to things like astronomy where all we have is light to interpret.

I think you are mistaken about that sir. It was well established by niels bohr and colleagues that various elements and molecules blocked and passed certain wavelengths of light. This is used to tell the composition of stars. It is the same process that they use to check for toxins in tissue samples.

And a french man in the 1700s demonstratively verified the effects of gravity on even small masses.

These are both critical and fundamental to astronomy. They are very clean and solid sciences. Almost as pure as math. You like physics, right?

Anyway, I've been up for 30 hours and I just cant dredge any details, but if you have an interest I can find my book tomorrow. Or just look it up.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 2:45 am

"did you know that God doesn't exist?"

:roll: tireing.. old.. pointless..

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 9:58 pm

Sopho wrote:
I do exist. :(

That's okay. I will allow you to be God.