Reeeally simple ways to learn how to do life better???

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 2:29 am

I have similar things I am trying to tackle and do better. One is eating better. I'm allergic to lots of foods, especially fruits and vegetables and I also have IBS. So it causes me to just avoid all fruits and veggies even though there are a few I can eat.

What I've started doing is paying more attention to those "serving suggestion" photos on food packaging. Because I hate to cook, hate to wash dishes I tend to eat as simple as possible but I know that's not good for me. You can look at like a Triscuits box and it shows the cracker with cheese and a few grapes. Or sausage gravy packages always show a plate with gravy, biscuits, sausage and a couple slices of oranges on the side. So if I do stuff like that I can get some fruit in my diet. (Can't drink juice because it messes up my blood sugar).

What I need to work on next is eating healthier at work since I eat two meals a day there. I don't think all the frozen dinners I eat are all that healthy!

I think I am also going to utilize the index card system Nobodysdreamz wrote about in another post so that I can get my apartment organized and clean again.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:56 am

Ticker wrote:
I think I am also going to utilize the index card system Nobodysdreamz wrote about in another post so that I can get my apartment organized and clean again.

Would you mind reposting that here? My apt's fairly clean and organized, but I find it a constant struggle to keep it that way.

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2007, 12:31 pm

juliekitty wrote:
Ticker wrote:

Would you mind reposting that here? My apt's fairly clean and organized, but I find it a constant struggle to keep it that way.

I think I've found that thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 76&start=0

I'll go back and read through it when I have time because it looks like the kind of stuff that will really help me.

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2007, 12:36 pm

That is a BRILLIANT way of cleaning up!

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 12:56 pm

some simple recipes:

stir-fried vegetables. basically, chuck in all vegetables that take your fancy on a hot pan with sesame oil, along with any type of meat. good thing about this is that you can vary it a lot just by changing some of the ingredients.

lentils. don't require soaking, a humble but excellent dish. chuck in onions, chilli, tomato, lime or lemon juice, other vegetables, red meat of any kind, that sort of thing.

baked meat. wrap it v well (essentially, you want it sealed) in tin foil. that way, it retains juices (instead of them dirtying a pan, whcih saves time on cleaning). no need for basting, turning, etc. workd for fish, too.

plain yogurt with whatever. buy yourself some flavorings, mix with fruit or anything else that goes well with sweet things.

rice & seafood. fry the seafood in olive oil, chuck in the rice and add plenty of water. stir ocasionally until rice is cooked.

i would recommend couscous and pastas except for the wheat, due to your son's ADHD.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 1:18 pm

Cantelope goes really well with lemon or vanilla yogurt.

Also its a nice texture treat to sprinkle a granola type cereal on top of yogurt. In fact ages ago Yoplait used to make something called "breakfast yogurt" and it had oat clusters, dried fruit & walnuts already mixed into the yogurt. Get a good quality granola cereal such as the Back to Nature brand that comes in the pouches in the organic aisle. The cranberry flavor one is particularly good with the chewy dried cranberries in it.

Also you can invest in those cute little Tupperware containers called Smidgets or Midgets and take your granola topping to work to sprinkle on your yogurt.

Another good one to get vitamins into your system :wink: - bake one of those orange sweetpotatoes or a red yam then top it with Smart Balance margarine, plus cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar.

Also if you buy canned fruit get the kind that is packed in its own fruit juice instead of corn syrup! The mixed tropical fruit with pineapple, guava and mango in its own juices is particularly good when you can't get fresh fruit. Or if like me and have no luck in picking out a good mango. Usually the ones at the store at picked to soon and don't ripen well. I hate cutting them anyway, so just get the canned for that.