Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 8:38 am

The subbing lady called and offered me a 180 day subbing position, 4 days a week working with small groups in one of my favorite schools to teach. However on the 5th day of each week I could be sent to any building in the district. There is one building I refuse to go back to - the kids are horrible there, your lucky if you get a group of Jr. High kids who'll stay in their seats for most of the period, the elementary isn't much better. While nothing has ever personally happened to me there, I decided to never go back once I heard about some of the 7th and 8th graders (and one of their moms) getting a gun and beating up a woman in their neighborhood because her dog had bitten one of their younger siblings. I'd given to detention to all the kids involved at least once the year before, and I'm willing to bet the dog only bit the kid because it was provoked. Even if I do nothing to the Junior High kids who knows how they'll react if they find I took recess away from their younger sibling. THere are also some buildings in the district that are at least 2 hours away from my home - the district stretches all over the place, even to the other side of the mountain.

Now I'm beginning to regret turning down the offer, but I think its best I stay away from those Junior High kids. And I am involved in a majorly intensive research project this semester, so I don't know that I'd have time to work 5 days a week - I was already considering only subbing 3 days. I've also taken days off of subbing in the past because I just needed a break, but then I always was working at least one other job in the past too - this year, I'm only going to be subbing.

Of course I'd probably also be second guessing myself if I had accepted. But it is disappointing to have such a nice job offer but turn it down because of one school.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2007, 1:47 pm

What a sad sad commentary on our youth!

I think you did the right thing. The only other option was to accept and take a stun gun or blunt force object with you, with a willingness to use it...liberally!

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 10:28 pm

EatingPoetry wrote:
What a sad sad commentary on our youth!

I think you did the right thing. The only other option was to accept and take a stun gun or blunt force object with you, with a willingness to use it...liberally!

Pretty much every child in that school lives in one of three housing projects that I'm told aren't safe to visit in the daylight. Quite a few have parents in jail and/or who are active drug users. Most of the parents didn't finish high school. I have heard some of the kids say that their parents have told them they are allowed to hit anyone who gives them a problem and I believe it. The previous principal used to fight to have the good kids removed from the school so they'd actually have an opportunity to learn. Two years ago, every time I did lunch duty there I'd see at least 5 fist fights - they were so common the kids weren't written up for them as long as they stopped when a teacher yelled.

100% of the studnet body receives free breakfast and lunches. Its the only school I've ever been in where the kids don't know how much a lunch costs, and have never heard of anything like lunch tickets or lunch cards.

The elementary behavior has gotten better since the government took over the school and I think thats in part because the new principal holds alot of assemblies that the parents are invited to - it gives them a reason to work with the kids instead of against. However, the behavior is still worse than most people would ever imagine could go on in a school.

This school is the sole reason why I will never, ever accept a permanent teaching job unless I have observed the students in that school first. When I first graduated I was thinking more along the lines of "How bad could a small city school be?" My first day of subbing there one of the teachers told me, "If you can make it as a sub here you can teach at any school in the country without a problem." I no longer think he was exaggerating

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2007, 1:15 am

Don't ever sell yourself short.

Good things come to he that waits.

Don't sell out your talents nor brains for those who are not deserving. Life has a plan for you. DOn't slack, but please live.

If you ever want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

I admire your wisdom for turning down money for a better life. You can never trade cash for productivity...

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 8:58 am

I think, in the interest of your personal safety, you did the right thing.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 9:24 am

I did too, but only because I wasn't available to do an interview when they needed me!

Next time, I know to make time for anything when I'm offered a job!