Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2007, 3:45 pm

I played my piece in composition today and was....... perturbed by the results.

First, before a single note of the piece sounded, my professor decided to make a big fuss about the fact that the piece is in D-Flat major. He began this esoteric debate about whether key actually made a piece sound different. Annoyed, I proposed that we have esoteric musical debates in a musicology setting.

Then, he decided that my piece was "regressing". Not retrogressing, as in V going to IV for anyone who knows about theory, but regressing, as in my composition was getting worse. He said that it was too rigidly sectioned. This might be the case, but calling it regressive is just an insult. Among the insults was "I hope that this is more of an exercise." Yeah, an exercise. A whole summer's worth of classified painful experience went into this piece. If it were an "exercise", I would have written a stupid C Major piece to work on my counterpoint. I gladly invite constructive criticism, and that is what my fellow students gave me; this was just rude.

Lastly, he said that it was not expressive. It's a freakin' midi. There is a reason why we have live performers play our pieces. Midi has little to no dynamics, phrasing, rubato, or anything.

I would like to close by saying that I right music for one person. I'll give you three guesses who and a clue: this person's name is not Dr. Loris Chobanian.

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2007, 6:00 pm

I'm also a musician/composer. Do you agree with what the professor said? It sounds like you don't. Then IGNORE his comments. Constructive criticism is only useful if you feel, in your heart, that it is "right". Then, take the advice!

Keep on! :)

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2007, 10:44 pm

...yes, yes, I know.

I'm more pissed off at how he said it. I'm venting. I know that my professor is ultimately inconsequential.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 7:05 am

I would consider what your prof said. He's heard lots of music in his time, and probably wants to push everyone to be their best. While as a musician you may desire appreciation and applause for your music, the point of studying it is to dissect and criticize it.

Anyway, he's probably bitter because he didn't succeed as a musician and must instead teach others. That's why he's condescending in tone.

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 12:27 pm

Criticism from music professors can be brutal. Just don't take it to seriously and you'll be fine.