Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 12:22 pm

OK, every time congress passes even the slightest limitation on political donations, the SCotUS strikes it down as an unconstitutional limitation on free speech.

Therefore, what we need is a constitutional ammendment limiting political donations. I'm thinking a limit of $500/person, to rise with inflation; corporations and unions could package donations, but they would have to get written signatures from every board member/union member granting permission and specifying the person or entity that the money would go to, and the contributions would count against each individual's balance.

comments?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Sep 2007, 3:39 pm

but then the little guy could possibly be president. its never gonna happen, to many rich people run the country. its a good idea though that way the playing feild is level for everyone

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 4:59 pm

LKL wrote:
OK, every time congress passes even the slightest limitation on political donations, the SCotUS strikes it down as an unconstitutional limitation on free speech.

Therefore, what we need is a constitutional ammendment limiting political donations. I'm thinking a limit of $500/person, to rise with inflation

Certain parties would still get their hefty donations illegally, from benefactors under indictment for fraud, who'd ultimately jump bail and flee the country.

Sound too absurd to possibly happen? Google "Norman Hsu". :?

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 1:35 pm

LKL wrote:

Therefore, what we need is a constitutional ammendment limiting political donations. I'm thinking a limit of $500/person, to rise with inflation; corporations and unions could package donations, but they would have to get written signatures from every board member/union member granting permission and specifying the person or entity that the money would go to, and the contributions would count against each individual's balance.

comments?

I think the thing to do is limit the campaigning fund of a politician to $1 million (or other small number). Then a large number of candidates will appear on billboards and have equal voice. This is what you want to achieve. Also rules for equal alloted time on 'news' programmes.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 9:55 pm

Maybe the IRS should do their job and audit the whole process. Why should politicians be given a free ride when it comes to donations for their campaigns etc when everyone else has to account for cent 1? And they should be made to declare every cent of their earnings the same as Joe Blow, right down to the pens they sign their filthy little deals with. Corruption should be stamped out, and the IRS is the dept that can do it. Remember, they were the ones who got Al Capone for tax evasion, when the cops couldn't get him for murder.

Politicians are meant to be the peoples' employees; not big business lap-dogs.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 10:08 pm

Perhaps US politics shouldn't be comparable to one huge union of uncaged zoo animals with a few intelligent zookeepers. :lol:

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 11:12 pm

Maybe they should be more comparable to the lunatics taking over the asylum.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.