Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2007, 6:46 pm

I had a chemistry quiz today, and I probably got a 25 on it at best (on a scale from 1-100). I have three other classes, and I had to study for all of them. I could not study for all of them, and the instructor I have did not explain the material very well. I could not get another professor, because that was the only time this particular class was offered this semester.

I cannot drop or fail the course, because if I do, I lose my scholarship and my on-campus housing. And if I get the part-time job I am applying for, that will complicate things even more.

I am lost and don't know what to do.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 6:59 pm

Feel free to ask me any questions about chemisty as it was my special interest for more years than I care to remember.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2007, 7:32 pm

And my instructor gave everyone only 2 days notice before the quiz. That is certainly not enough time to study for the quiz, in addition to studying for 3 other classes.

I can't give up my dreams of being a geologist. I need to make lots of money so that I can (a) impress people, and (b) live in ultra-liberal Seattle.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 7:46 pm

Who is your teacher?

Rodney Cate
Candice Fulton :heart:
Randal Hallford
Christopher Hansen
Jianguo Shao



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2007, 7:48 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Who is your teacher?

Rodney Cate
Candice Fulton :heart:
Randal Hallford
Christopher Hansen
Jianguo Shao


It is Randal Hallford.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 7:54 pm

Its chem 1143-01?

where you given a password to open pdf documents?



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2007, 7:58 pm

That's beside the point. I need to get a degree so I can live in Seattle and impress the type of people I want to associate with.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,120
Location: Woodbridge, VA

06 Sep 2007, 7:58 pm

Okay for one thing Tim, you are over reacting to much on a quiz and other stuff. Second its okay to screw up once in a while. I had quiz in my spring semester class and they were hard but I finally did get better (though my first year was with New Century College at Mason). I got B+ for the class. I'm sophomore here taking regular college classes and only one of them is based off grades on tests and thats it. Alex would totally agree with me on my post because we had experienced it before you and we did not over reacted one bit. So just calmed and relaxed for a bit.

P.S. I am serious about the relaxing bit.


_________________
"You are the stars and the world is watching you. By your presence you send a message to every village, every city, every nation. A message of hope. A message of victory."- Eunice Kennedy Shriver


TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
That's beside the point. I need to get a degree so I can live in Seattle and impress the type of people I want to associate with.

Tim


The quizes are online. If I could see them it would make helpping you easier? Were you told not to share the password?



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2007, 8:10 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
That's beside the point. I need to get a degree so I can live in Seattle and impress the type of people I want to associate with.

Tim


The quizes are online. If I could see them it would make helpping you easier? Were you told not to share the password?


I didn't want to share the password.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Sep 2007, 8:34 pm

Its using 128-bit RC4 encryption. Thats too hard for my stone-age computer to crack. :lol:



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

07 Sep 2007, 6:52 am

I am just stressed out because I am trying to finish my degree in a certain time frame, and I am in a hurry to start the rest of my life.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,857
Location: Seattle, Washington

07 Sep 2007, 10:05 am

That's ok, Tim!

There's always room for improvement!

I hope you do better soon!


_________________
Jason Larsen
[email protected]


Redrocket
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 May 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 656
Location: New York City

08 Sep 2007, 11:44 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I had a chemistry quiz today, and I probably got a 25 on it at best (on a scale from 1-100). I have three other classes, and I had to study for all of them. I could not study for all of them, and the instructor I have did not explain the material very well. I could not get another professor, because that was the only time this particular class was offered this semester.

I cannot drop or fail the course, because if I do, I lose my scholarship and my on-campus housing. And if I get the part-time job I am applying for, that will complicate things even more.

I am lost and don't know what to do.

Tim


Sorry to hear about this Tim. This tends to happen sometimes in school, getting a teacher who's either not good or cannot explain the material that well. It has happened to me a number of times and believe me it's not a good experience especially when you don't do good in the course because of this.

Have you thought about maybe getting a tutor to help you out? How do the other students feel about this professor? If this professor is that problematic many you and the other students (if possible) can report him to the Department.

Don't give up and freak out over this. Just keep studying, doing the best you can and asking for assistance when needed.

Good luck!



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,554
Location: Houston, Texas

12 Sep 2007, 4:53 am

I haven't gotten my quiz score yet, but I do have a better grasp on things in my class now.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!