Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

squeezle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2007, 8:28 am

i would suggest going to your prof or the course TA & expressing not only your anxiety over the quiz, but also your committment to your degree. then ask him for suggestions on how to study more effectively for the next quiz/exam. if this is done earnestly, most profs are willing to help. plus he will be aware of the effort you are making and this could help you in the end (i.e., if you are on the border between two grades he make be more likely to round-up). by the way, i am a TA so i have experience with situations like yours.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 7:08 pm

I still don't know how I did on the quiz. If I don't do that well, I am seriously thinking about changing my major.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 8:39 pm

Tim, I had the same thing happen. I am graduating this semester and taking a statistics class right now to fulfill my quantification requirement. I am really a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my grades, but this class is especially important to me because statistics is a huge part of the career path I'm taking (medical). My first lesson starting out, I got a 61%. I never did that poorly on any college assignment! I was horrified and felt totally lost. I contemplated just saying f--- it and quitting, seriously. But, then I got my head together and studied really hard, made sure I knew why I scored so poorly and learned everything I could. My next lesson I got a 94%.

Just hang in there, you can redeem yourself. Don't let one grade on one thing in one class set you totally off course on your goals. Keep that goal in mind and go for it. You can get there. We all face setbacks. This is just one challenge of many. I'm told they build character ;)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 4:42 pm

Worse yet, my lab session is on Monday nights and everything got thrown off because of the Labor Day holiday.

And every Monday, there is a pre-lab assignment, and I had to study for three other classes as well, and I couldn't get everything done in a timely manner. And my pre-lab assignment is late, and my instructor does not accept late work.

On the quiz, there were some things that were on there that I was supposed to have learned in Chemistry 1, but I took Chemistry 1 at another college and they didn't teach me the material in question. So I am being cheated out of a good grade because I took Chem 1 at another institution.

I contacted the Disability Support Services at my college to see if they can help me.

Tim

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 11:42 pm

That's a good idea, I hope everything works out.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 9:13 am

The people in disability support services said that they couldn't give extra time for assignments, only tests. So I AM going to get a zero for at least one assignment.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 9:28 am

My only options for my chemistry course are: drop or fail. And I can't do either because I am trying to graduate at a certain time, so I can (a) be a geologist, (b) live in Seattle, and (c) make a lot of money to meet an single NT woman's criteria, because it's easier than trying to find another Aspie to date.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 9:48 am

And my instructor even admitted that he doesn't teach his evening classes normally, like he does with his daytime courses.

Yet this was the only time that General Chemistry 2 was even offered.

Tim

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2007, 10:14 am

Tim, I've been wanting to tell you that when I went to university as an adult, I suddenly became a total moron. I am a straight A student, but there I was failing everything. Also, when I opened a book to study, I got a migraine, and when I shut the book the migraine went away, instantly. So can you imagine me driving myself nuts trying to study? And I was alone in a new place, no support.

The answer for me was to grant myself an extra year. I dropped to 4 courses instead of 6, and I substituted an easy one, and forgave myself for it. It took a few months but I adapted and got A's again.

Also, I wish I had known then that the profs try to reduce the number of students in their classes, and routinely rig discouraging things.

Also, can Student Svces or Disability help with scheduling and reconciling course differences, can you get a peer counselor that would stay with you.

I really do think you will be a great success, don't give up.

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 11:57 am

Never give up your dreams.

You gotta fight for your right to party.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

15 Sep 2007, 12:03 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

On the quiz, there were some things that were on there that I was supposed to have learned in Chemistry 1, but I took Chemistry 1 at another college and they didn't teach me the material in question. So I am being cheated out of a good grade because I took Chem 1 at another institution.

Oh your taking general chemistry II. I take it one you took chem
I some time ago. Two you took it at a Jr/community college that i
s consider a joke to most 4 year chemistry programs. Three your taking chem II in the Fall. My college did not offer it in the Fall. Which suggest its a small class and the grading curve maybe
brutal if there are a few great students.

Realistically you need to be taking chemistry I in the fall(now). Taking it next Spring in a small night class may not be too wise. Taking it in the summer term borders on insanity. I looked up
your major requirements. I see the geology department is harda$$es and not likely to let you take certain classes with out taking chemistry first.

I feel for your situation. I requested I be placed with another chemistry major on my housing application. And that was my first friend in college. He was weeded out the first year though. He was a
nice guy. :(

I like the advice Claradoon gave. You have time. I'm 37 and only have 3 years college (all my credits have expired to :) ) and do not consider my life over.

You might beable to sweet talk the chemistry department into letting you switch to chem I now but I do not know if you have the time slot available.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:27 pm

I have already taken Chem 1.

Tim

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2007, 4:03 pm

Yes but the Chem1 you took doesn't match the Chem1 they're offering, it's a bitter pill but take Chem1 - you can't teach yourself the gaps, let them teach you. It's only fair to yourself, don't set the bar too high.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 11:34 pm

Hey Tim,
You're still stressing with chemistry, eh?

I think you're taking too many classes to have to deal with such a difficult one. Here are a few more suggestions:
1. Withdraw from Chemistry, finish the rest of your semester with getting good grades on the rest of your classes, and retake Chem 2 another semester. You keep saying you've got a timeline, but maybe you need to relax your dates a little.
2. Find a tutor, if you want to stay in the class.

Don't give up on your major if geology is what you really want to do! It's a supercool major that I wish I knew about.
Another suggestion to keep you fired up, consider a semester at Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo, which is located very close to the active Kilauea Volcano. They have an awesome geology dept.

I'm actively avoiding doing my own school work right now. Sigh.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 11:45 pm

aylissa wrote:
Hey Tim,
You're still stressing with chemistry, eh?

I think you're taking too many classes to have to deal with such a difficult one. Here are a few more suggestions:
1. Withdraw from Chemistry, finish the rest of your semester with getting good grades on the rest of your classes, and retake Chem 2 another semester. You keep saying you've got a timeline, but maybe you need to relax your dates a little.
2. Find a tutor, if you want to stay in the class.

Don't give up on your major if geology is what you really want to do! It's a supercool major that I wish I knew about.
Another suggestion to keep you fired up, consider a semester at Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo, which is located very close to the active Kilauea Volcano. They have an awesome geology dept.

I'm actively avoiding doing my own school work right now. Sigh.

If I had the money, I would definitely attend UHH.

Tim

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 11:54 pm

I thought you were on scholarship? Is it residency-based?

And about UH - can you just do one semester there? I have a cousin who just did that last spring and loved it! In fact she stayed on...