Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 11:54 pm

I thought you were on scholarship? Is it residency-based?

And about UH - can you just do one semester there? I have a cousin who just did that last spring and loved it! In fact she stayed on...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 10:24 pm

aylissa wrote:
Hey Tim,
You're still stressing with chemistry, eh?

I think you're taking too many classes to have to deal with such a difficult one. Here are a few more suggestions:
1. Withdraw from Chemistry, finish the rest of your semester with getting good grades on the rest of your classes, and retake Chem 2 another semester. You keep saying you've got a timeline, but maybe you need to relax your dates a little.
2. Find a tutor, if you want to stay in the class.

Don't give up on your major if geology is what you really want to do! It's a supercool major that I wish I knew about.
Another suggestion to keep you fired up, consider a semester at Univ. of Hawaii at Hilo, which is located very close to the active Kilauea Volcano. They have an awesome geology dept.

I'm actively avoiding doing my own school work right now. Sigh.

I had lab tonight, and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. First of all, one of the centrifuges broke, and there were larger crowds of people waiting to use it. Second, Something went wrong with my experiment and I had to start over again. And I could not finish before class was finished. There is no way I can pass this course.

And I cannot take Chem 1 again because it will throw my completion schedule way off. One of my classes scheduled for the fall of 2007 requires Chem 2, and if I retake Chem 1 and 2 again, I will not be able to take the course until fall 2009 because of the block scheduling.

Yet, if I drop, I lose housing and my scholarship. Also, there is a girl I like who has a lot of the same interests as me, and she likes guys who are goal-oriented. I am worried that if I drop the course--even if the alternative is getting an F--she won't think I'm goal-oriented, and she won't like me.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Sep 2007, 10:51 pm

If your doing the lab correct there is a 100% chance you will be the last person that leaves the laboratory. I always was last to finish.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 11:00 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
If your doing the lab correct there is a 100% chance you will be the last person that leaves the laboratory. I always was last to finish.

I thought I was, but something got screwed up in lab. Also, the labs are timed, and having to do it correctly in a certain time period, under the supervision of an incompetent professor and an equally incompetent lab assistant, is a recipe for a meltdown.

I need to change my major, to something that doesn't require chemistry.

Tim

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 11:08 pm

You can take chemisty II at a community/jr college to.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 11:23 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
You can take chemisty II at a community/jr college to.

The State of Texas has a limit of how many credit hours can come from a junior college, and I have already exceeded that limit.

Tim

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 3:38 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
And I cannot take Chem 1 again because it will throw my completion schedule way off. One of my classes scheduled for the fall of 2007 requires Chem 2, and if I retake Chem 1 and 2 again, I will not be able to take the course until fall 2009 because of the block scheduling.

Yet, if I drop, I lose housing and my scholarship. Also, there is a girl I like who has a lot of the same interests as me, and she likes guys who are goal-oriented. I am worried that if I drop the course--even if the alternative is getting an F--she won't think I'm goal-oriented, and she won't like me.

Tim

Can you have your disability office intercede on your behalf to withdraw? You'll still get your housing and scholarship if you withdraw this early in the semester, I think.

Are you sure you will definitely not pass? It's only September. And what about getting a tutor? That's what I'd do if I had to take a really hard class.

Anyway, here's a video for inspiration to keep you going on your geological path:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/ ... -small.mov

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 5:07 am

Might be worth staying with the chem 2 class learning all you can.
If you take it a second time in the spring the second grade will replace the F (or you might luck out with a D ).

Also I would think you could take it at a Jr college and just discard some other Jr college credits you all ready have?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 5:33 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Might be worth staying with the chem 2 class learning all you can.
If you take it a second time in the spring the second grade will replace the F (or you might luck out with a D ).

Also I would think you could take it at a Jr college and just discard some other Jr college credits you all ready have?

I need a C in all my science courses in order to get my degree.

Tim