How many people in your life know/knew you have/are AS

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 4:47 pm

I mean besides psych professionals you saw about it.

My parents "know" (dunno if it's "think" or "know" in my case), some teachers at my school in grade 9 "knew", including my English teacher, the resource teacher... then the resource teacher told the vice principal, and this other resource helper, and some of my enemies at school! Oh, also this kid who went to that school and was also in my social skills group at the hospital knew.

In grade 11 (different school) the guidance counselor got wind of it (the resource teacher from the previous school or someone faxed it to my new school), this other woman who works in resource at that school also got wind of it.

In grade 12 my mom told my creative writing teacher and the guidance counselor.

At some time my father (who never talks about AS) mentioned to his brother that I might have it and his brother said he probably did too.

My mother told people at the Y, even I told people, they don't care, we all have tons of problems.

My mother told the shrink who's analyzing me now and he's very open-minded though, he doesn't say that he thinks I have it or anything.

Last edited by Ana54 on 07 Sep 2007, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beyondtheinfinite
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2007, 5:17 pm

My family and doctor are the only ones who know about it. It's not like I'm trying to keep it a secret or anything... it's just that I don't have any friends who I would tell. (As for school, I've done well enough that I haven't needed any special accomodations so far, so I don't know if my teachers / guidance counselors / et cetera have been informed).

xenu27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2007, 7:00 pm

nobody knows in real life, except me. I prefer to keep it that way. I dont want to be treated different or anything. I also think people are very judgamental, not all, but a lot. And my family wouldn't understand it anyway.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:16 pm

I keep it to myself.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Sep 2007, 7:22 pm

Well here are some more of my reports.

most of my family knew something was wrong but didnt bother further investigating until later

username88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:25 pm

Oh man I should find my report and scan it.

Also I think my teachers might have known but Im not sure.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:39 pm

My whole family knows, and my boyfriends family, and my friends and his friends know. I think I told two of my professors, but thats about it.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:54 pm

I don't go around broadcasting it to the town or anything, but if I have a necessary reason to bring it up, I'm honestly not afraid who knows. I'm not ashamed to be autistic, if other people have a problem with it then it's their problem, not mine.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 11:16 pm

I tried to see if I could get my mother to get any writeups from doctors. So far, FORGET IT. 8-( But WOW richard. That is a pretty comprehensive report.

Oh well, the doctors would only have given overall impressions/findings, because AS wasn't considered a valid diagnosis then.

I only told my mother and stepmother that I believe I have it. My mother tried to disprove it, and just dredges up new evidence that I DO have it! My step mother might just put two and two together. My father BRAGS about how smart I am, helped on so many things, etc... I know several languages and I helped HER build her business. She ALSO knows:

1. I really don't go outside to do ANYTHING!
2. Have INVOLVED interests
3. Am not social.
4. Don't have many friends.
5. Have an odd way of communicating/coping.
6. Don't handle stress well.
7. She may even know about my hyper/hypo sensitivity.
8. Who knows, she may even have seen me rocking.

Maybe she'll put it together if she has any doubts.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 3:15 pm

Just my girlfriend and one close friend from the ham radio club. Oh, and all of my poker buddies 8O

Ed Almos

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 3:24 pm

My mother knows and my best friend know. My mother doesn't know it means I have autism. My best friend knows lots about it and doesn't care.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Sep 2007, 4:02 pm

Everyone knows my 6 year old is Autistic. Only my 20 year old (NT I think) daughter knows I'M AS (Pretty darn sure...actually really no question of it) She says, "You've ALWAYS been weird, now you have a name for it". My co-workers just think I'm "a little crazy" I'v told them that I think I might have AS, they are all pretty supportive and don't treat me any differently (to my face at least, don't know what they say when they all get together. They always ask but know "she's not gonna go"meaning me, to their little get-togethers) But we've all worked together for years and we're sorta family(as close as I have to one anyway). Haven't told anyone else. Mom is dead and Dad hasn't cared about me for years. He's ashamed of me. Personally he's the most AS person I know. (Invented parts for computers back in the 50's and 60's, worked at Groom Lake, had a pager in the 60's. fixed all the computers at the Federal Reserve banks. had IBM always sending letters wanting him to work for them. He worked for the competion back then "Burroughs." All my school notes were wrote on punchcards and our Q-tips always were like 10 inches long. Absolutly NO social life, genius IQ)Sorry, I digress... Oh yeah 1 more thing I just remembered, when the internet was first coming out I asked my dad what he thought of it..he looked me square in the eye and said "Just remember, if you can look in,..... we can look out." I always wondered who "we" were but he would never say another word about it.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Last edited by reika on 08 Sep 2007, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 4:10 pm

I forget someone, actually a couple of people. I don't think they count, but they know I have something that is called Aspergers if they didn't forget the name. It's my teachers. I had to tell them in order to be allowed to stay home during a class-trip.
The problem is that they don't know anything about Aspergers or autism. They think that it is a psychological problem or that I just didn't want to participate in the event and lied. My therapy isn't yet okay'ed by those who're responsible or otherwise I could ask my therapist to come into school and end this horrible way I'm treated now that everybody thinks I'm a liar.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 4:11 pm

My mom and my grandma are the only ones who know. I don't know how many people they've told.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 4:22 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Well here are some more of my reports.

Is it Bensen or Benson? Those say Bensen, your screenname is Benson. :?

My parents know. The head of the accodadation center at my college knows. And I think my parents let some of my high school teachers know. :x

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 3:58 am

About everyone that knows me thinks I'm weird or "original" (or, alternatively, lazy, lacking initiative, irresponsible, unable to grasp the meaning of adult obligations, sloppy, crazy etc. - insert any label that singles me out among the others and suggests I'm in some way maladjusted or unwilling to live the same way as they do). But since I was never formally diagnosed with AS, I don't think it enters anyone's mind that I might be that.

A very good friend of mine whom I've known since I was 16 has suspected all along, I think (she's a clinical psychologist now). Another friend, also a clinical psychologist, might have started to suspect after we've discussed some of my adjustment problems. Apart from them, I don't think anyone does.