Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 1:41 am

...miles on the first car I ever bought. A 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2-Door Coupe with 5-Speed Manual Transmission. We've been through a lot. All the road trips for concerts and football games. The thousands of pizzas we delivered to pay you off. The drunk driver who smashed your side. The second engine, as well as the new spark plug wires and brake and shift cables I put in. All of the trips for my semi-pro baseball team. The rear-end job we suffered a couple of years ago and the months of rehab. I won't give up on you girl. Let's go for 250,000. Even if the passenger seat no longer stays in place. It's okay, we don't need anybody else. We just need the open road and the wind in our faces.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Sep 2007, 4:05 am

thatts crazy, good car!

I had a 94 plymouth acclaim since sneior year in high school, had 60,080 miles on it and the night I hit a dear distroying it it had 111,000 on it, which is not terrible for a car I had for almost 6 years.

My new car i bought in march had 55,000 miles on it and now it has 65,000. I drive 400+ miles every week, heh. I hope both of ou cars have a long life!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:34 am

I just hit 160k on my '96 Kia. I don't actually drive that much. My (ex)wife put 100k on it the first 5 years and I've put 60k on it the next 6. Why would anybody buy a new car?

- Emerson

Last edited by MrMark on 08 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Sep 2007, 4:11 pm

I cant beleive these cars last that long, we must take good care of our vehicles. I boguht a new one after 111K miles cause i hit a deer and it just could not make it without serious repair, i figured it was cheaper in the long run to purchase a newer car. Just goes to show ya if you dont drive like a nut bag, change oil regularly, get regualr maintanance and dont beat it up bad it can last ya a long time. If a car lasts ya over 5 years then it lasts ya longer then the average car at least in the US, every 5 years many people get a new car, often cause the cost to keep the older car running would exceed the cost of having a newer vehicle. I hope mine lasts 5 years, heh, but I drive a ton, like 450 miles a week, but im good to it, hope its good to me, heh.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:26 pm

It's always less expensive to fix the old car than it is to buy a new one.

- Emerson

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:42 pm

Congrats. May y'all continue to work together well.

Three years!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2007, 3:48 am

MrMark wrote:
It's always less expensive to fix the old car than it is to buy a new one.

well... im not sure about that 1, often it can be, all i know is my old car when I hit a deer that night, rather then spend tons of $$$ on all sorts of new parts for the engine, not to meansion break work and replace everything that can be replaced underneath (gas leak) I found it to be far more financially efficent to purchase a new car, granted I spent more for this car then the older beat up car was worth, but I woulda spent much more over time, and over a relativly short amount of time. Thats why often these days when appliences die its better to buy a new one then to fix it, capitalism is just like that, the market entices ppl to upgrade rather then to fix.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 7:16 am

Damaged vehicles often shouldn't be fixed.

It's less expensive to buy a used car with a good reliablity history and put a bunch of new parts on it than a new one with financing.

Who wants a car payment for more than a few months?

- Emerson

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2007, 4:42 pm

MrMark wrote:
Damaged vehicles often shouldn't be fixed.

It's less expensive to buy a used car with a good reliablity history and put a bunch of new parts on it than a new one with financing.

Who wants a car payment for more than a few months?

heh, indeed, I wish I coulda thought about that, itll take me a few years to pay off this new car, but its still nice to have, i guess i dont mind being half broke for a while... a long while, heh.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 10:37 pm

Fortunately, I have the ability to fix cars, since I am mechanically inclined. I have kept this one running for much longer than it probably should have by making my own repairs. It's much better to spend $100 on parts and do it myself than spend $200 on parts and $500+ on labor.