Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 12:48 pm

I am officially happy.

As you may know, I am a huge fan of Robert Fripp and the progressive rock outfit King Crimson. Today, as I was driving home, I spotted a tiny record store I've never noticed before next to a Dollar General. I went in and browsed around for a bit, but didn't find anything interesting that I didn't already have or couldn't get offline. I was about to leave when a Peter Gabriel CD I don't own caught my eye. It was at the very front end of the row, so after looking it over and considering buying it I checked the back end of the next row. The first one was another Gabriel CD, but the next one I pulled up made me reconsider the possibility that there is a God and he loves me.

This is the very first record album which Robert Fripp performed on. Finding this CD anywhere in the United States is like finding an ice cube in a haystack. A haystack which is on fire. The guy at the record store said he couldn't remember where he got it, and he had no idea what it was so he didn't know what to charge me for it. I gave him $20 for it.

This is a serious collector's item. By all means I shouldn't even remove the plastic wrapping, but then I couldn't listen to it. I've never been one to advocate the not-listening-to of music, so I think I'm going to go open it up and give it a listen. Hopefully noone on this forum is a rabid enough K.C. fan to track me down and kill me for it :P.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2007, 2:53 pm

YOU BETTER OPEN IT! :)

Just don't expect the Crimson King to leap out at you, it's quite a different trip.

nitro2k01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2007, 3:49 pm

I'm downloading it now to see what it's like. (I can't really go down to my local shop and buy it ;) )

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2007, 4:14 pm

Dude dont open it!

Download it. You own it, so I dont see any harm in doing that :lol:

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 6:27 pm

Yeah, I decided not to open it. Can anyone point me to where I can DL it though? I dont see it on Demonoid.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Sep 2007, 6:42 pm

good for you guy. rare cds rule :D

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 6:57 pm

I found a torrent but it's in APE format and the seeds are low. After a good half-hour of DLing it's at 3.5%. Hopefully it doesn't drop off overnight or some bull.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 8:26 pm

You may also want to look into another project that Fripp was involved with. Centipede was a Jazz Orhcestra that he produced and did stuff with. They released an album called Septober Energy.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 8:49 pm

You sir, are awesome.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2007, 3:16 pm

Good score! I love Fripp and All things King Crimson (except the really early stuff... I guess Larks Tongue would be the first album I really loved). I'd never heard of that album you bought. I can't imagine that he'd developed his unique sound yet but still would be interesting for a listen. I personally would go insane not openning it.

BTW 'Red' is my favourite album.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2007, 9:09 pm

Nice find - being a fan of Fripp / KC I've always been curious about this one. I've known about it for a long time but never got around to finding / downloading or listening to it.

I would open the damn CD and listen to it - I don't understand how you can keep it wrapped up! Just be careful not to scratch it...

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:53 am

I like going to markets and op shops and have had some lucky finds. For years, I'd been looking for a song called "Masquerader" by Feet First. After being told by lots of people that it didn't even exist, I found it one day at the Sunday Markets after going through roughly 200 45's.

The same day, I found $20 in a box of records at the same stall and pointed it out to the lady in charge. She let me have the records I bought for a discounted price, which I thought was kind.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 3:23 pm

Neat :)

Rare CDs...don't go bragging about them though.