Similarities and Differences - NLD vs. AS

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2007, 1:35 pm

While reading the article, I recalled something written in a book by Tony Attwood regarding some girls/women with AS - their apparent difficulty with maths. Owing to the fact that maths requires both problem-solving and visuospatial comprehension, is it truly fair to say that such a distinction can be made?

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2007, 3:48 pm

No, you're not babbling on too much. But your I.Q. is about 50 points above mine, so I'm kinda lost as to what you're saying. I get the gist though... you're saying some Aspies such as yourself have deficits expressed on the outside that you make up for on the inside. Right? Pretty cool, my friend.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2007, 1:57 am

unnamed wrote:
I just checked the link serenity provided above, and it's excellent. It brings up a great point about learning difficulties in AS vs NVLD. To briefly paraphrase: if you have NVLD, you're likely to learn better by having someone give you verbal instructions and explanations. If you have AS, you're likely to be better off with written instructions, charts, or diagrams. I couldn't agree more.

I learn better by written instructions or better yet have someone show me in person step by step. But have me put together something by looking at a diagram by myself and I'm lost. So now what do we do? LOL

Oh btw, does anyone do this... when someone is speaking to you or reading to you, they might as well be talking in another language part of the time because you're only catching a few words at a time? And if they talk too loud or shout, it's like their words are bouncing off of your face and body and you hardly remember anything they've said? I have a feeling I'm alone in this and now you will think I'm weird : (

SynDiesel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2007, 2:16 pm

ChatBrat wrote:

Oh btw, does anyone do this... when someone is speaking to you or reading to you, they might as well be talking in another language part of the time because you're only catching a few words at a time? And if they talk too loud or shout, it's like their words are bouncing off of your face and body and you hardly remember anything they've said? I have a feeling I'm alone in this and now you will think I'm weird : (

Everyone, is weird. :roll:

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2007, 10:21 am

I pass as NVLD - but I suspect that's because I have a good, long-practised social act.

Thought about this long and hard - my opinion, FWIW, is that they are one and the same but with slightly different degrees of emphasis on skills and deficiencies.(Also suspect NVLD is about some 'experts' trying to make a name for themselves).

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 10:23 am

SynDiesel wrote:
ChatBrat wrote:

if everyone is weird,wouldn't that automatically make everyone normal,being the same?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:08 pm

lupin wrote:
I pass as NVLD - but I suspect that's because I have a good, long-practised social act.

Thought about this long and hard - my opinion, FWIW, is that they are one and the same but with slightly different degrees of emphasis on skills and deficiencies.(Also suspect NVLD is about some 'experts' trying to make a name for themselves).

One benefit of NLD is that it can be diagnosed through several hours of neuropsych tests, as there are characteristic skill deficiencies which can be fairly easily measured. AS doesn't have that advantage, so why doesn't it make sense to have NLD as its own diagnosis?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 12:12 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
SynDiesel wrote:
ChatBrat wrote:

if everyone is weird,wouldn't that automatically make everyone normal,being the same?

Not if they're weird in different ways, or to different degrees. For instance, imagine that there are a hundred different traits that people perceive when judging each other. The people who are usually considered "normal" might share 60 of them, but then have their own eccentricities for the other 40. Whereas someone who is usually considered "weird" might only share 15 similar traits, while the other 85 are odd. Or they might share 60, but their other 40 are odd to a much greater degree than with the "normal" people. I think it's something like that. Because everyone does have their own weird little things- it just depends on the type of eccentricities and the emphasis placed on them by other people.

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2007, 6:55 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
lupin wrote:

One benefit of NLD is that it can be diagnosed through several hours of neuropsych tests, as there are characteristic skill deficiencies which can be fairly easily measured. AS doesn't have that advantage, so why doesn't it make sense to have NLD as its own diagnosis?

Hmm. Not thought of it that way, thanks. Made me think. I guess there are practical reasons as well as other, less immediate reasons why they should both be counted as one - or very close together on the spectrum. I can see how you have come to that conclusion though. Perhaps it goes something like this: the clinician finds what they're testing for according to the tests they use...? E.g. if a clincian were looking for NVLD in me they'd more than probably find it, if they were specifically looking for AS, they'd find that. Does this mean the two are different and co-morbid? Or does it mean that they are slightly different views of the same thing depending on the test methodology and the clinician's own bias?

On an educational level, ASDs get supports and accommodations - NVLD doesn't here. So it matters a lot from that perspective.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm

Thought I'd offer up a text with a different perspective:

http://www.nldontheweb.org/Dinklage_1.htm

SynDiesel

18 Sep 2007, 8:31 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
SynDiesel wrote:
ChatBrat wrote:

Yes, but we're communicating within a different context than "normal."

Even normal people describe episodes of disassociation. NTs usually don't exploit these experiences for greater insight or otherwise just brush them off when they "grow-up."

SynDiesel

18 Sep 2007, 8:37 am

And the answer to ChatBrat which I should have left rather than the meta-observation is yes. Yes. People jibber jabber.

My mother uses dozens of words to say "garbage. take out."

Sometimes I tease her by repeating what she says with my analysis of what it should be in condensed communication. Normally it's a few words in a simple sentence compared to her paragraph-story.

:lol:

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2010, 5:18 am

Quote:
NLDers have normal emotions but are inept in expressing them and in recognizing them in others, to the extent that they are expressed non-verbally. Aspies, on the other hand, do not feel the same range of emotions.

Without literally reading a person's mind how can people compare the range of emotions experienced?

Without being able to read people it can be hard to pick up on the alignment of emotion words with emotions. A person could still be experiencing the full range of emotions but when asked if they've ever experienced certain emotions say "no", because they are unaware that one of the emotions they've experienced is called that when others experience it.

To check if you don't experience certain emotions you'd have to literally swap minds with a person.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 6:39 am

LostInSpace wrote:
That sounds pretty accurate to me, especially this part:

Quote:
AS literature doesn't mention problems with visual spatial issues, which are a major problem area for NLDers. In fact, many ASers respond well to visuals and diagrams, and are visual learners. Many find work as engineers or architects. In contrast, NLDers don't respond to physical demonstrations and may not understand diagrams. They can't learn by watching, and need everything explained in words. Thus NLDers tend to become wordsmiths: teachers and writers, while ASers often excel in math and find work in computer fields.

I'd consider that, along with less impaired social interactions (with NLD), to be the two most major differences between AS and NLD.

I have dyspraxia (severe) which is sometimes diagnosed as NLD depending on the characteristics taken into account for the diagnosis, and I fit the description of NLD pretty well according to what I read (obviously, I have the motor skills issues, plus the math issues and I can't understand or use body language, social difficulties, etc) however, I have just learned that I am a visual learner (which sounds really strange to me since I have spatial difficulties), especially when it comes to math (It's true that I need to see it), though I seem to have some auditory learner characteristics as well.

I do not know how NLD is truly diagnosed, it seems that it is not recognize everywhere, but I have been talking to some people and apparently, NLD is what other people may call "severe dyspraxia" in their country because the diagnosis include other issues while they should only be the "motor skills part".

I wonder if there are any visual learner among the NLD or dyspraxic of this forum.