Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2007, 9:10 pm

Another problem I have is calling someone by their first name. I don't know why. I can feel pretty safe calling someone by their name if is a family member, however my I called my wife by her first name a few years back and she was shocked. She said it sounded wierd me calling her by her name because I never do it. I didn't even realize it at the time. However, I almost scared to call people by their name in the fear that I may have the wrong name linked with their face. This of course is a trait with severe autistics.

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2007, 9:13 pm

I never call anyone by their name except for my son. I have no idea why.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:18 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
This of course is a trait with severe autistics.

I would think that severe autistics wouldn't call anybody anything, at least those that are nonverbal.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:27 pm

I seldom use peoples names, for the reason you stated,fear of accendentally using the wrong name.There are people I have worked with since Feb,whose names I still cant remember.(Yet I can ususally remember the names of 40 dogs I work with for only a few days.).It's actually pretty embarassing because I will say to another staff....."Do you know where,uhm,you know the girl who is kind of big with dark hair,uhm....."Makes me feel pretty stuipid. :oops:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:29 pm

Using names makes me uncomfortable.

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2007, 9:31 pm

I don't use peoples' names even when I do remember them. If I'm talking to one neighbor, I can refer to other neighbors by name, but for some odd reason I do not use any neighbors' names when I'm addressing them directly.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:33 pm

I rarely have people call me by my first name. SO in some ways it does feel unusual when someone does that.

The only people I have trouble calling their first name though is my bf's parents. I was never told specifically what to call them but the dad always refers to his wife by her first name and when he leaves messages on my phone and he says, "hey this Jack" so I suspect he expect me to call him them by their first names. I however just call them Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 9:35 pm

I always feel weird using someone's name
I always felt weird for it

squeezle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2007, 9:44 pm

i feel exactly the same way. i rarely call people by their name. and i don’t really like people to use my name very much, except to get my attention. when someone uses my name a lot in conversation it seem unnatural and insincere and that makes me think i can’t trust them.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:20 pm

I can't stand for anyone to use my real name, just too many bad feelings with it, so I have people call me a different name. After a while I can't stand them calling me that, either.

I rarely call anyone by their name, because of he name/face thing. Also I get embarassed because it seems so intimate. I was taught as a child to use Miss/ Mr. /Mrs. and later I incorporated Ms But I can't think. . oh wait. . they called me Ms ZZZZZ just the other day at the checkout at the grocery store. . .and I freaked!

But I heard once that the sound of one's own name is the sweetest sound to them. Personally I can't believe it, the fear rush I get is anything but sweet and the adrenaline's metallic taste in my mouth and the jump start to my heart I can do without.

Merle

username88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:24 pm

I never felt weird about this, but I never saw the importance in learning peoples last names.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:34 pm

I don't use peoples' names, especially when talking to them... it just feels so unnatural and alien to me. And often when talking to someone about someone else, I do not use their name. I often seem to just expect it to be known who I am speaking of then people ask if I mean such and such.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:37 pm

yeah you usually call me Kilroy-which is awesome I hate my name :lol:

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:39 pm

I call everyone I speak to on a personal level here by their username as that is what I get used to. I don't even like calling my ex 'mark'...people will attest to my calling him my ex, and not his name, lol.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:44 pm

Well Kilroy is my alias anyways so I like it lots :D

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 10:47 pm

I think that it is a social thing that you are supposed to use the other person's name when you are talking to them. It doesn't feel natural at all to me, I've really had to work on it. I hate it when I'm asked what my name is too because I have a very unusual name and people usually have to ask me several times before they get it right and make me repeat it several times whhich makes me feel awkward.